Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Limited Ready Glock17

Gloxrunna

Yeah it's just that I'm about two rounds less than everyone running 2011s, so they're doing stage plans where they take 18 shots and have a buffer of 2 or 3 rounds for make ups, and with my mags I'm right at slide lock, and I have no make up shots

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

You should always stage plan in 3 steps:

1) Find all the targets
2) Find the least amount of and fastest positions to shoot targets in
3) Weigh the risk of shooting on the move versus static depending on optic versus irons as well as No shoots/ hard cover versus open targets
4)Lastly, think of where you're going yo reload based on your capacity. if you have even 1 step between positions that's more than enough time to reload.

Don't stage plan based on round capacity. It will only slow you down. sometimes you might have to do a 2nd reload in a high cap division to gain the time advantage in moving between positions

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah it's just that I'm about two rounds less than everyone running 2011s, so they're doing stage plans where they take 18 shots and have a buffer of 2 or 3 rounds for make ups, and with my mags I'm right at slide lock, and I have no make up shots

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

You should always stage plan in 3 steps:

1) Find all the targets
2) Find the least amount of and fastest positions to shoot targets in
3) Weigh the risk of shooting on the move versus static depending on optic versus irons as well as No shoots/ hard cover versus open targets
4)Lastly, think of where you're going yo reload based on your capacity. if you have even 1 step between positions that's more than enough time to reload.

Don't stage plan based on round capacity. It will only slow you down. sometimes you might have to do a 2nd reload in a high cap division to gain the time advantage in moving between positions

On 11/11/2018 at 1:00 PM, Gloxrunna said:

I'm not having any issues shooting the g17 minor.  I get mostly all Alphas. Thanks to having my own pistol range for practice. 

If you're shooting all As that means you're shooting too slow for Limited ?

On 11/11/2018 at 5:49 PM, sc68cal said:

What are people using for mags for .40 if you're shooting limited? I have Taylor Freelance pads and I'm only getting about ~18 reloadable in mine. It makes my stage plans different than other limited shooters and I constantly have capacity anxiety

I have a mix of Dawson and TTI.  They both work great.  They're both reloadable to 19, but the TTI can fit 20 if you want to start the stage with 21.  However, you need to be careful with the TTI as they sometimes don't fit the gauge.  I've found it depends on what mag body you use with them.  All Dawsons I've used fit the gauge easily.

16 hours ago, Jamese35 said:

What isues have you had with the ets? All of the ones I have have been 100 percent but they are for 9mm and not 40. Glock is now making mags in the 140mm length. I believe the glock store has them and I'm not sure on price.

The 9mm ETS mags have worked for me too, but the 140mm .40 ones did not.  Rounds got stuck in the tube and didn't feed when I tried them.

Glock doesn't make 140mm mags.  The OEM 21 round .40 and 24 round 9mm mags are around 165mm.

Edited by Southpaw

6 hours ago, Jamese35 said:

I thought I had seen some where that glock was makeing some 140mm mags but I could be rong lol. Thanks for the clarification. ??

I wish they did ?.  That'd be much more useful than the ~165mm ones they make now.

On 11/11/2018 at 2:00 PM, Gloxrunna said:

I'm not having any issues shooting the g17 minor.  I get mostly all Alphas. Thanks to having my own pistol range for practice. 

So what are your times like, compared to the people winning the Limited division in the matches around you?  Preferably Level II and above?

Getting all alphas is good, but if it much slower than others, that's not a winning combination. 

It all depends on what your goal is, though.  If you want to have fun at locals, a G17 with basepads is a great way to go.

If you're going to be competitive at the top end - you probably need a 40 - so a glock 35 or 24 would be the one to use.  For a limited minor gun, yours is fine - again you might find the extra sight radius of a 34 to help eke out a few more points in LTD.  It's not set up optimally - due to caliber and sight radius, but it's set up adequately.  you could add a frame weight to really help hold the muzzle flat - or at the very least a Jentra Ultra Heavy Tungsten guide rod.  That sucker is over 2.5 oz and really does impact how the gun tracks.  I have one in my g4 17 that I use for CO.  In the slow mo you can see it. 

I'm curious the people who are beating you - what is their classification?  Who are you beating?  It's rare someone 6 months in comes in and starts winning unless it's a new USPSA club and there isn't much heat at the match - not trying to diminish your accomplishment - just flies in the face of my personal experience with it.  

I'm winning limited locally everytime and usually no worse than 3rd overall. I could be faster but that is coming. I've only shot 6 matches total so far. My goal is to win big matches and make my mark in the uspsa world.
somebody help86ebe921cd370d3ba4bd3e5df1517d15.jpg

1 minute ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Sell it and buy a 35 or 24.

Also, I too would love to see match results with Minor coming out on top of Major.

There's a tricked out 24 for sale right meow in the classifieds!  

I'm not anything anything special yet. Trust me. There isnt a whole lot of heat at my local matches but I am holding my own. I am only C class. When I first started I was using a bone stock glock 19 shooting limited then switched to my 17. I am thinking of buying a 34 or a 34 slide but I have shot my buddies and there isnt much if any difference for me at all. Thanks for the recommendations.

Longer barrel is easier to make power factor. So with a 34 you could use less powder in you rounds which produces less reciol. If I remember right some of the big time glock shooters are running the 24 which is even longer then the 34 and it's a 40 cal. I could be rong, if so some one please chime in.

Correct. The 24 is a 17L... just chambered for 40 caliber.

If @Gloxrunna had any competition at his matches at all (anyone C class should be in the bottom third of the pack in Limited) he’d already have sold his 9 for a 40 caliber, because he was getting crushed shooting Minor.

Major lets you shoot targets on the move, and partials, really agressively because Charlies don’t hurt if you’re moving fast. (Imagine the way you’d tackle an IDPA stage if they went to 1/10th of a second per point down.)

22 hours ago, Gloxrunna said:

I'm winning limited locally everytime and usually no worse than 3rd overall. I could be faster but that is coming. I've only shot 6 matches total so far. My goal is to win big matches and make my mark in the uspsa world.

As people have pointed out, winning locals as a C-class isn't a good measurement of what it will take to win big matches.

Winning big matches is a perfectly laudable goal.  However, unless you've seen how GMs shoot, you might not have a realistic idea of what it will take to reach that goal.

It is technically possible to win Limited at major matches (for example, Area or Nats) shooting a Minor PF pistol.  That being said, I don't believe anyone has ever done it, and there's a reason for that.

As an example, in the recent 2018 Limited Nationals, if JJ had been shooting Minor at the same speed with the same hits, he'd have been 3rd overall, not first.  Ben, who is extremely used to shooting Production and most likely had the most difficulty out of the three not shooting in Minor-accuracy-mode, would have been 5th instead of 3rd if shooting Minor.  (It'll be interesting to see how Ben does in future Limited competitions, since he got 3rd having not shot Limited much at all.)

Some people might argue (correctly) that if they knew they were shooting Minor, those competitors would have been more accurate---however, then they would have been slower, too. 

In Limited due to its division requirements, the slightly-less-recoil and slightly-more-capacity advantage of shooting 9mm versus .40 is more than offset by the point penalty for C and D hits.  It is simply much more advantageous to shoot Major in Limited.

In a similar fashion, as people have pointed out, you can certainly shoot Limited with a G17.  However, a longer slide means less powder for the same velocity, so less recoil.  (And more weight forward, for a similar useful results.)

In other words, if "winning big matches" is indeed your goal, you are probably going to find that you are going to need to change some things about your gear.  My suggestion would be to not worry about it until you've shot a couple of Level II or Level III matches, however.  You'll then have a better idea of what you'll need to do to meet your goal, and have an expanded understanding of the gear people use, and the level to which to you are aspiring.

Good luck! 

I shot limited minor for about a year or so until I got a red dot for my 9mm gun and started shooting carry optics.  I agree with many of the comments here.  Yes minor is a disadvantage in limited, and yes a 2011 is really a better way to shoot limited.  That being said, dedicated practice is going to do more for skill building, than almost any equipment purchase.  Out of curiosity, I went back and looked at the last 5-6 matches that I shot limited minor with, and I was very consistently shooting right around 75% of the overall match winner.  Yes I know you compare yourself within your division, but that just gave me a look at how I was consistently placing relative to the match overall.  That was a big improvement from only about a year ago when I was down below 60%.  Gear didn't change, my practice schedule did.

If you already own a Glock 17 and want to shoot limited, go for it!  Especially if the cost difference of 9 an 40 makes a difference in how much you are able to practice, 9mm is just fine.  If you don't already own a 17, and maybe you reload and the price difference is small, then go with the 22/35/24 option that you like best.  

Thanks, all great advice. I plan to eventually switch to major load a 35 probably, my gear that I have shown is not me saying I am going to do great with what you see here, I will evolve into a different weapon and major but right now I am getting my kaidence and speed down and I did just buy a new press so i will be loading again here soon. I didnt mean to sound like a douchbag or anything if that is the idea you have about me. My local club isnt anything too special there are a couple M shooters and a lot of A and B.

• 2 months later...