Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Any Advice on Running Shoot-Off Style Event

This is my second season running a shoot-off style event where we run a double elimination blind draw bracket.  The biggest problem I have is with the match no-shows throwing us off and it has left me with a few questions. 

1. Do you create a bracket before the day of the match?  If so, do you do anything to mitigate issues from no-shows?
  2. If you create the bracket the day of the match, do you have any special strategy for laying one out quickly? 
  3. Any other best practices for how you run your brackets during the match?

I am looking for suggestions specific to the actual bracket.  I plan to start requiring pre-payment to help with this issue.

Thanks all!

The bracket would have to be created after registration.  Your no show issue will be helped greatly by prepayment, but that will not solve the entire issue.

Look at https://www.random.org/sequences/ .  Number the shooters in each bracket 1 to X and enter those values in the random order generator, and assign the shooters based on their number.  

It is efficient to let each squad's members run the 2 shooters that are on the line.  One is the "CRO" and blows the horn to start, and two more are assigned to the shooters to watch them load and to show clear.  

• 2 months later...

AFH, I was sure I responded to this but was sifting through posts for one and saw the topic I'd started and decided I'd check the replies.  Very sorry for the ball drop but thank you very much for the advice!

My plan this year is to go to a 2-day event; first day is a regular 5-6 stage match (all we can handle atm) and I will then also use the finishes in day 1 to dictate placement on the board for day 2 shoot-off.  I am going to run registration with required payment this year.  We're caught in the middle of uncertain range development so I don't want to start registration too early so I have a few months until frost comes off and we can brake ground to wrap up the berm work.

Any other ideas folks have is much appreciated.  Next battle is of course to find the vendors willing to support us again this year.  Support has been phenominal the past 2 season but it takes a lot of calls, emails and conversation.