Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Akai open 38sc

jstagn

Know all about the brass issues. Has anyone shot the tungsten sleeve Akai and they’re non-tungsten sleeve?  Weight according to akai is only about 3-4 oz. more but centered over the trigger area, rather than hanging out in front. I think limecat also has a similar setup.

ee7364c6e2e1deba877406169e3ac219.jpg

I have shot exactly what you are describing. These are all Akai.

We tested these at Area 4

The two in the left are tungsten sleeved .38 the far right is a bull barrel 9mm.

I would describe the tungsten sleeved .38’s as slightly less flip and softer.

That’s partly due to the caliber and partly due to the extra weight.

Bottom line tungsten sleeve vs bull barrel: The tungsten sleeve adds weight that feels good and balanced . It’s going to absorb a little more energy (flip) than a lighter bull barrel. Also the slide is thinner (it’s opened up in front) in order to get the thicker tungsten sleeve to fit. So you have a thinner, lighter slide plus a heavier barrel. Both will help reduce the recoil and flip.

Note: I went with the less expensive bull barrel due to cost and after shooting the tungsten sleeved .38’s I decided that I would stick with what I got.

I love my Akai’s (4 so far!) and have done well with the contingency program this year! Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glockman, thanks for your insights. I just had the same conversation and questions with a buddy that got a tungsten sleeved barrel gun. I was more focused on slide weight and didn't fully consider the extra weight out front. I also went the standard bull barrel route. The slide weight difference between the oversized barrel is about half an ounce in a limited gun. 

Edited by IronicTwitch

1 hour ago, glockman75 said:

The two in the left are tungsten sleeved .38 the far right is a bull barrel 9mm.

1 hour ago, glockman75 said:

I love my Akai’s (4 so far!)

Forgive my ignorance, but I did the math twice and could only come up with 3.???

I can tell you this much.  ALL the guys on the team are shooting tungsten and we get to choose what we shoot.  :)

There is a substantial improvement IMO with the tungsten sleeved guns.  My slide on my shorty weighs a little over 8oz 
The barrel with Titanium comp weighs over 10 oz.  If you are going to nats you can shoot mine this weekend.