Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Micro debris found in chamber area

j33716

Recently, I have had a few jams that I could not identify how. The slide is 99% forward but not locked up. Cannot push forward.

Short version, I found debris in the chamber area. Yellow cylinder type material about 1/16th long and maybe a 1/32 in diameter. Also found as flat 'chips'. Bright yellow in color

It gets behind the hood and stops the lock up

The question is, what could it be / where is it coming from? 

It is not metal or brass.

Load is;

9mm major

Starline new brass

Winchester Small Rifle primer

Hornady Haps 115 JHP

Autocomp Powder 

Typically yellow "sand" debris in the chamber area is actually unburned powder that has had the black/silver graphite (or whatever it is?) coating burned off during firing but did not ignite. Small sand type debris would make sense with the WAC loads as it is a fine ball/flattened ball type powder but "cylinder"  debris would not unless you fired some loads with a different powder like possibly Vit? 

Definitely not corn cob media. I don't have any

Un-burned powder is definitely a suspicion.

The flake stuff would make sense for WAC

I have Vit and understand what you are saying. It has the same shape but longer.

Very strange looking

5 minutes ago, Trent1k1 said:

If he doesn't tumble the bullets in corn cob media, how could he have corn cob media in the JHP?

The manuf tumbles them.  I find corn media in my Montana Gold JHP all the time.  I wet tumble and have no corn media here.  I always check when boxing. It can ruin your match. 

Precision Delta JHP comes with media in them too. I also tumble rounds when done and have learned to clean out match ammo as the media can mess things up. It even happened in my Glock. 

18 hours ago, Ssanders224 said:

Correct.  

Pretty much all jacketed bullet manufacturers tumble bullets before packaging. 

However, when done correctly, it should be pretty rare to find it in the finished product ;) 

+1

My experience with this (lots of pictures too):

It was NOT obvious when I first found these pieces that they were corncob. They get fragmented, crushed & blackened up pretty nice after the gun has fired.

Last 3 cases of MG JHP115's I've gone through have had quite a bit in them. Before that, not so much. Just depends on how good a job they did with final prep the day they package.

Easy to protect against in your final ammo prep. Here is what I do:

• load 100 into shockbottle case guage
  • flip into empty 100rnd ammo case - inspect JHP's for corncob. I use a pick and compressed air to remove any debris found here.
  • flip into final empty 100rnd ammo case - inspect primers and mark.
Edited by racer-x
edit link

I sometimes tumble the loaded rounds to remove grease and make them shine, and after that I look at each round, and use the Exacto blade to remove the stuck media pieces.

When using MG JHP bullets the job is fairly easy - as the cavity is pretty shallow, but the PD bullets are incredibly hard - it is deep, and it takes a LOT of effort to pull all the stuff out.

11 minutes ago, Foxbat said:

I sometimes tumble the loaded rounds to remove grease and make them shine, and after that I look at each round, and use the Exacto blade to remove the stuck media pieces.

When using MG JHP bullets the job is fairly easy - as the cavity is pretty shallow, but the PD bullets are incredibly hard - it is deep, and it takes a LOT of effort to pull all the stuff out.

Wont stick :) 

image.thumb.png.f00639772ce1e04829dba433f4e1bcb7.png

On 10/16/2018 at 7:29 PM, chevrofreak said:

A lot of powders make cornmeal-like debris when fired.  AA7 and Silhouette are notorious for it. 

I use to get that gritty cornmeal looking stuff when using Silhouette powder in open gun. 

I looked back into the WAC bottle (8lb), poured some out into a plate

Here is what it looked like.

It is a flake powder. It should not have the cylinder type material. It looks like an extruded powder.

It was towards to bottom of the bottle (last lb)

I opened a new bottle and it was clean.

IMG_0873.jpg.3a27c1969d1f06b3323d1bc290bfe174.jpg

On 10/24/2018 at 8:23 AM, racer-x said:

Did you find the same debris sifting through the un-burnt WAC powder?

Yep, take a look at the picture. It was towards the bottom of the 8lb bottle

Assuming the 'debris' is heavier than the powder, it makes sense it would be at the bottom

Also, I tested with new powder.

Did not change the press. When I ran new powder, the charge went down .2 grains in weight

Meaning.... the other material is obviously heavier.

Adjusted charge back to 7.7 with new powder and all went well for 1000 rounds

Shot 1k and no debris

On 10/17/2018 at 5:20 PM, Foxbat said:

I have a small compressor in my loading room. I fill my Hundo case gauge, put a thin piece of plexiglass on top and flip it over. Then just blow the media out before boxing up. 

You are right. PD JHP are very deep holes

1 hour ago, Sarge said:

I have a small compressor in my loading room. I fill my Hundo case gauge, put a thin piece of plexiglass on top and flip it over. Then just blow the media out before boxing up. 

You are right. PD JHP are very deep holes

That's exactly what I do!

My last 3 cases of MG's have had a LOT of the corncob packaged with them - the bullets are very shiny though :)

Air compressor next to bench is super handy for cleaning your guns & keeping your reloading press running 100%.