Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shadow 2 malfunction

jripper

My friend has a new S2 that is having intermittent fail to extracts.  The fired case gets left in the chamber, and the next round trying to feed, jamming the case in.  He has it happen with more than one mag.  Anyone else have this issue?  He has less than 750 rds on the gun.

Thanks

Yes. The ammo is usually the thing to change first, however a new extractor and extractor spring is the first gun specific thing to change. Call or Email CZ. They will send new parts if you ask for them nicely. If not pay the nominal cost to replace them.

Inspect the extractor for damage, bent, or something else.  Remove extractor to ensure there is no issue with spring or something obstructing proper operation in the extractor channel on the slide. Ensure extractor pivots correctly and smoothly on extractor pin. 

• 2 weeks later...

So, here is what I learned. Apparently some S2s have the recess for the extractor spring milled too deep.  This is causing extraction problems  The quick fix is to put a extra power extractor spring in the gun.  I did this to my friend's gun last night  I took 1/2 coil off the spring before installation, as it may be a little too strong.  So far, it looks like it worked.  Time will tell as I only shot a few mags through it.  I saw another brand new S2 have the same problem last Tuesday at our clubs indoor USPSA league.  The tricky part is the extractor still works most of the time, as it still has spring tension as it stands, but it's not as strong as it should be, so occasionally slips over the case rim.  I now know of 3 S2s that had this problem.

1 hour ago, jripper said:

So, here is what I learned. Apparently some S2s have the recess for the extractor spring milled too deep.  This is causing extraction problems  The quick fix is to put a extra power extractor spring in the gun.  I did this to my friend's gun last night  I took 1/2 coil off the spring before installation, as it may be a little too strong.  So far, it looks like it worked.  Time will tell as I only shot a few mags through it.  I saw another brand new S2 have the same problem last Tuesday at our clubs indoor USPSA league.  The tricky part is the extractor still works most of the time, as it still has spring tension as it stands, but it's not as strong as it should be, so occasionally slips over the case rim.  I now know of 3 S2s that had this problem.

Good work but a question as followup:

did you happen to look at the physical casings that didnt extract to see if there were any witness marks on the rim?

also, did you look at the extractor itself closely? Even under magnification?

have you tried to slip a casing into and out of the breech face from the bottom (simulating how it would load normally) to check how well the case is retained and/or clearance issues in that stackup?

would hate to have TOO MUCH spring in the extractor, causing weird ejection patterns but having it bandaid another underlying issue.

Edited by Red_Dot

27 minutes ago, Red_Dot said:

Good work but a question as followup:

did you happen to look at the physical casings that didnt extract to see if there were any witness marks on the rim?

also, did you look at the extractor itself closely? Even under magnification?

have you tried to slip a casing into and out of the breech face from the bottom (simulating how it would load normally) to check how well the case is retained and/or clearance issues in that stackup?

would hate to have TOO MUCH spring in the extractor, causing weird ejection patterns but having it bandaid another underlying issue.

The extractor appeared to be fine.  I have not been able to recover any of the fired cases, as it is not my gun.  Ejection pattern looked good and consistent after the spring change.  This fix was told to me by a person with a lot of experience with CZs. 

On ‎10‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 7:00 PM, slavex said:

I have not heard of the recess being machined too deep, interesting. A simple fix would be a shim under the existing spring I suppose. 

That would probably do the same thing as the extra power spring, but it's a small area.  Might be difficult to fit the shim in.  So far, almost 300 rounds on the gun with the extra power spring and no problems.

On ‎10‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 5:51 PM, zen_grasshopper said:

I know that one of Gütt’s Shadow 2’s had this issue at the Wisconsin Sectional.  He told me later he just put in the extra power extractor spring and it was good to go.  

It ran good in Indiana!  I shot on his squad.  Man can he run a gun!. It seems to be the easy fix.  Like I mentioned, it may not take the complete spring, as you may need to remove a little. 

I had this problem with one of my two S2s. At first it had 5 FTEs per 200 rounds or so, then got much better, down to 1 per 5000. It has since come back. There is no correlation between frequency and cleanliness of gun or type of ammo. 

On 11/1/2018 at 6:15 PM, konkapot said:

I had this problem with one of my two S2s. At first it had 5 FTEs per 200 rounds or so, then got much better, down to 1 per 5000. It has since come back. There is no correlation between frequency and cleanliness of gun or type of ammo. 

Try the spring. It’s a cheap and easy fix. If it works fine.  If not no big investment 

On ‎11‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 8:49 AM, GeneBray said:

When is the last time you removed the firing pin and cleaned and the firing pin channel in the slide?

Neither gun was mine.  However, the first gun had been doing it occasionally since new, and I had swapped out the firing pin to an extended for him.  The other had about 200 rounds through it.  I don't think that has anything to do with it.  

On 11/5/2018 at 8:49 AM, GeneBray said:

When is the last time you removed the firing pin and cleaned and the firing pin channel in the slide?

Uh, maybe 20,000 rounds ago? You mean I can't just wipe the old lube off and add more? Every now and then I'll bang mine upside down to get the large chunks out of the trigger. I apparently run ~135 PF reloads, they told me at Nat's, with a Blue Bullet 147 for a good long while without issues. 

What ammo was this with? Factory or hand loads? If hand loads, what was the powder charge, bullet brand and weight, overall length and how was the brass processed?