Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Schuemann Tribred vs standard Comp'd barrel

RustedFrog

For the last several years I have been shooting an open gun that had a 6" Schuemann tribred barrel on it and have loved it. So naturally when I went to build my own this is what I went with. Now that I have it pretty much done though I have a lot of people who are telling me that I should have gone with a standard barrel with a traditional comp. Stating that none of the pros use the schuemann and if it was that much better that they would. Now I agree that none of the pros use a schuemann. But why is that? I have never shot a standard comp gun so I do not know the difference in feel or anything. I do know that my schuemann has very very little muzzle flip the way it is set up. So I am interested in peoples opinion. 

For the last several years I have been shooting an open gun that had a 6" Schuemann tribred barrel on it and have loved it. So naturally when I went to build my own this is what I went with. Now that I have it pretty much done though I have a lot of people who are telling me that I should have gone with a standard barrel with a traditional comp. Stating that none of the pros use the schuemann and if it was that much better that they would. Now I agree that none of the pros use a schuemann. But why is that? I have never shot a standard comp gun so I do not know the difference in feel or anything. I do know that my schuemann has very very little muzzle flip the way it is set up. So I am interested in peoples opinion. 
lol get ready for a 500 post thread

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I think this is one of those questions that has 500 “right” answers. A lot of it comes down to personal preference. Scheunann still makes the barrel so that means people are still buying them. If it works for you don’t worry about what people say the pros are using. There’s 500 people that would shoot my setup and hate it. But then there’s a different group of 500 people that could shoot my gun and love it. 

8 hours ago, RustedFrog said:

For the last several years I have been shooting an open gun that had a 6" Schuemann tribred barrel on it and have loved it.

That's all you need to know, shoot the crap out of it and make GM, the gun will not hold you back.

Take it from a guy with a dozen Open guns: I don't play with new things because it makes me a better shooter (it doesn't), I do it because I like to.  We should all spend our free time doing things we like to do, not what others think we should want to do.

I shoot local matches primarily to play with my latest Open project, secondarily to win, I have no interest in seeing a GM card with my name on it, not going to Nationals.  I love that we all have unique interests, the only thing which bothers me is when a person's actions don't align with their stated goals.

Im not planning on changing anything. I love the gun and love how it feels. I've never shot a standard comp'd open gun so I don't know about live fire. But in dry fire it just seems like my gun is so much easier to stop on the transitions. My old one has a STI polymer grip and a slide mounted dot. The new one has a CK arms steel grip and an everglades way back dot mount. Although I have not shot it because I do not have my new dot in yet. I love the feel of it just drawing and swinging. To me not having that heavy comp on the end gives the gun so much better balance. I am simply wondering what others opinions are. Especially those who have shot both. 

Yes I would say he is a pro. I did not know he shot one though. I always work matches so I do not ever get the chance to really see what the pro's shoot. Or much of anyone else for that matter. Just from the ones I have been able to pay attention to I have never seen one. 

41 minutes ago, Shmella said:

I thought he was talking about an island barreled open gun. Idk what a tribred is

A "Tribrid" is the same as the "island" barrel that SV uses in their IMM guns.  It's also known as an "island" barrel because of the "island" of steel on top at the front. 

In an Open gun with popple holes (drilled through the island) it's known as a "hybrid" barrel.  I have one on my Akai Custom Hybrid open gun, and it's a wicked shooter.  They're also used on Limited guns, without the popple holes. 

38 minutes ago, outerlimits said:

IMG_4316.jpg.f1a730ad9cd61ce49dfdba50a0bb3171.jpg

built this for steel & 3 gun.  tried it in major and it was very unpleasant to shoot.  dot movement was a huge issue.

Yeah, without a comp it would pound your hand, pretty much, and have a lot of side movement.  Carry Optics works pretty well in Minor, I'm told. 

Here is my take.  Poppels or hybrid ports make the gun shoot flatter at the expense of harshness.   Comps make the gun shoot softer.  The more baffles you have and the more gas you generate makes it shoot softer and softer, right up until you have so much gas some it jets out the front of the comp.

So the decision is do you like flatter or softer.  BTW, you do not have to have a big heavy comp hanging out front.  There is nothing lighter than a 5" regular barrel threaded for a cone and a Ti comp.  It is lighter than a fluted Tribrid barrel in weight and recoil.

Comps are also quieter than barrel ports.  So you take your pick.  I happen to think that 2 3/16" poppels combined with a good comp is the way to go.  It gives me the best compromise.  It isn't harsh or violent and the noise is acceptable.

Unless something has changed Schuemann barrels are not available anyway.

Maybe somebody has one they bought and not using or a few weird barrels left in

someone's stock.

You would probably be better with a threaded barrel and comp set up anyway.

Either hybrid, bull or cone.  I would try to shoot some of the different types and see

what you might like.

My reason for building the first Open gun built this way is that it was built for my #3 son, who was 10 at the time and small for his age. The guns are 6” barrel/6” slide guns. They are about 1” shorter than a 5” standard barreled gun & comp. slightly less total weight too. He shot it very well at 3 Masters, 1 Bianchi & numerous State and Area matches before losing interest. It sat for a couple years until #1 son, rustedfrog, started shooting with me(I had built an XDm open gun for me). Very Nearly everyone who has actually shot the gun has really liked it. I love the way it shoots & handles. 

Here is the original. I did all the machine work. Will wanted a Red White Blue gun, lol

D3CC756F-E99F-4A88-93A1-76190D9B522F.jpeg.2ae1094341b0329138adf0fdfa0aff40.jpeg

That gun looks awesome. I'm curious to see the new version.

My reason for building the first Open gun built this way is that it was built for my #3 son, who was 10 at the time and small for his age. The guns are 6” barrel/6” slide guns. They are about 1” shorter than a 5” standard barreled gun & comp. slightly less total weight too. He shot it very well at 3 Masters, 1 Bianchi & numerous State and Area matches before losing interest. It sat for a couple years until #1 son, rustedfrog, started shooting with me(I had built an XDm open gun for me). Very Nearly everyone who has actually shot the gun has really liked it. I love the way it shoots & handles. 
Here is the original. I did all the machine work. Will wanted a Red White Blue gun, lol
D3CC756F-E99F-4A88-93A1-76190D9B522F.jpeg.2ae1094341b0329138adf0fdfa0aff40.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Thanks. Chris is going to use a mount for his dot, it is installed, but no other cuts made yet. He’s taking his time deciding exactly how he wants it to look. You have to look pretty closely to realize they’re 6” guns. His has a steel grip, so it will have a bit more stationary weight. 

I’ve never seen another one on the range built like these. If you see us on a range(we work/shoot quite a few matches), anyone’s welcome to put some rounds through it

Built the back 2 in 1997-8( ? ) intended to be dedicated 3 Gun pistols in comparing 6 open guns across 4 shooters:

IMM ( 3port Hybird + Ti comp)

5.4" with Arredondo comp 

TrueBore

5.4"  Hybird with 3 Ports + 9port EGW comp

5.4" with Smoking Hole 4 port comp

all agreed this was the flattest and easiest to dot track configuration.. made them my primary haven't shot anything else in the last 10 years that would change my mind... That DVC is a compromise #3 backup as you cant get the tribrid barrels.   

Snapchat-1021766245.jpg