Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

QC on loaded ammo

Jess409

I run everything through a hundo gage. While in the gage I check for high primers and anything that may stick out as an unusual length. The hundo has caught every cracked case I have had with loaded ammo. Anything that is suspect in the gage gets put in a separate container for practice only ammo.  If it passes the gage it will pass the plunk test in my barrel, simple as that. 

On ‎10‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 9:02 PM, DJD said:

I case gauge every round.  I visually inspect the primer seat while case gauging and let the case gauge catch cracks.

This.  Also, If a case seems to go into the sizing die too easy, it's usually split.  So, anytime it seems too easy, I check that case before charging powder.

• 10 months later...

Another "so do I" post- I gauge every round, but only after loading.  Cracked brass makes a distinctive sound and I can usually pick them out of the tub, bin or what ever before they go in the case feeder. I have more issues with Blazer brass .....

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/21/2019 at 1:45 PM, bwikel said:

I run everything through a hundo gage. While in the gage I check for high primers and anything that may stick out as an unusual length. The hundo has caught every cracked case I have had with loaded ammo. Anything that is suspect in the gage gets put in a separate container for practice only ammo.  If it passes the gage it will pass the plunk test in my barrel, simple as that. 

Me too. I visually inspect for high primers while its in the gauge. Additionally I have a bore camera on my press so I can see the powder fill in every case. Never had a 650 or 1050 fail to load properly but you can make a squib or double charge on either press due to your own FU. This is especially true on a 1050 with the ratchet removed because the automation either requires removal or works way better with the ratchet removed. I watch the fill in every case on a notebook.

I also made sure my gun will accept any case that passes the Hondo gauge. It does. None of this slows me down. I run 1500 an hour on my Super 1050 and my RL1050. I make 6000-10000 rounds a month depending on the season. Checking your work doesn't mean you have to be slow. You just have to pay attention.