Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

QC on loaded ammo

Jess409

After loading bulk ammo I generally case gauge all my rounds then visually inspect each round for cracks and imperfections. My question is. Do you guys do the same? Is it necessary to visually inspect each round? What is your final process after reloading bulk (1-2,000 rnds) Pistol cartridges?

side note, they are used for competition (USPSA).

I don't inspect practice ammo, except when I'm loading the rounds into a magazine or revolver speed loader or clip.

Every round of ammo that is going to be used in competition goes into the chamber of my pistol before I box it. Then I check that all primers are fully seated. I look at them and feel them with my finger.

Edited by perttime

Thank you for the responses. The chamber checking I do no mater what, I use my barrel. It’s the (rolling two loaded cases at a time in my fingers with a headlamp on, to see for any small cracks in the casings). That is the part that takes the longest and that I am wondering if it is necessary? Thanks again.

I generally keep an eye out for messed up cases as I load, then put loaded rounds in a bucket or 50 cal can as I load.  I'll just grab some for practice generally, but everything I take to a match gets case gauged.

On 10/15/2018 at 6:55 AM, Jess409 said:

I’ve been told at a match once that if the case is cracked it won’t go into the chamber freely. Is this correct? 

Maybe. I've had them not chamber and stop up the gun and I've been able to chamber and shoot them so YMMV.

34 minutes ago, Jakobi said:

Maybe. I've had them not chamber and stop up the gun and I've been able to chamber and shoot them so YMMV.

With 9 minor and range brass I will pick up split cases occasionally after a practice session. Does not seem to be something to worry about, can't say for sure if all of them split when I fired or if some of them were split before. 

I gauge them. They get no more inspection than watching the press, looking over the pile and whenever else they are handled. Seems to be sufficient. 10s of thousands, no ammo related stoppages since the hundo got added to the process.

On ‎10‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 8:57 AM, perttime said:

I don't inspect practice ammo, until I load the magazine 

Every round of ammo that is going to be used in competition goes into the chamber of my pistol before I box it. Then I check that all primers are fully seated.

^^^^^^^^^^   Having an occasional FTF during practice is actually good - practice clearing problems    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

But, If I'm competing, locally, I take a better look at each round.  Especially the primers.

For larger matches, Every Round goes Into the Chamber of my TruBor    :) 

When I'm cleaning my cases I can hear when there is a cracked case.  There is a distinctive "tinny" sound.  When I hear that I will check the cases in smaller batches until I find the cracked cases.  When I'm picking up my brass I also give them a quick once over.  I randomly gauge my loaded practice ammo as I'm loading them.  When I'm loading if the case feels different when it's being sized I will check that case.

On 10/15/2018 at 8:47 AM, Jess409 said:

After loading bulk ammo I generally case gauge all my rounds then visually inspect each round for cracks and imperfections. My question is. Do you guys do the same? Is it necessary to visually inspect each round? What is your final process after reloading bulk (1-2,000 rnds) Pistol cartridges?

side note, they are used for competition (USPSA).

I do the exact same thing and I believe it's good practice to do so probably a little over kill but I'd rather be safe than sorry 

• 2 months later...

Once I have a load configuration dialed in, I load a thousand or so into bulk containers.  I perform a verification of OAL and case gauge on 3-5 rounds, when I start and periodically every 200 or so rounds.  Since I use this ammo for both practice and matches I don't inspect/gauge every round when I am loading. 

Before a match, I'll pull the needed rounds from this inventory and case gauge each of them before putting them in the cases.

Visually inspect brass after tumbling.

No other check needed other than paying attention when loading mags.

If I'm going to nationals,  ammo will get an extra glance while being boxed up.

I won't load bad brass, so I don't waste time and components making bad ammo.

• 1 month later...
On 10/17/2018 at 7:29 AM, pmiya said:

When I'm cleaning my cases I can hear when there is a cracked case.  There is a distinctive "tinny" sound.  When I hear that I will check the cases in smaller batches until I find the cracked cases.  When I'm picking up my brass I also give them a quick once over.  I randomly gauge my loaded practice ammo as I'm loading them.  When I'm loading if the case feels different when it's being sized I will check that case.

This! Same here!

I work on my reloading settings so my rounds work.  Rarely have an issue.  I feel case gauges are a waste of money. Best gauge is your barrel.
Major match ammo I will  pull barrel and drop each round in, for a just in case issue. Then bag it seperate... I also chrono it so I dont get a surprise.