Jump to content
Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
matteekay

.38 Special... major?

Recommended Posts

Howdy! I did search, but couldn't get the right terms to find what I'm looking for.

 

Has anyone shot .38 Special loaded up to major PF out of a .357 revolver? It doesn't seem like it would be too hard to make it - a 180gr bullet only needs to go about 925 fps - but I couldn't find any published data. There's plenty for .357 but I'd rather not try to eject/reload those cases on the clock.

 

Or would this be too much case pressure for .38 Special? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't know re: .38 Special in a .357 gun, but with 9mm and .40

most people use  fast powders  and  heavy bullets.

 

Don't know why a shorter case would be a problem  -  as long

as the gun is rated for magnum loads.

 

Which gun are you using ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Starline Brass

Col 1.550 or longer

Slow burn powder

Starting 357 load and CAREFUL work up.

?in why but it's your choice

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, perttime said:

Vihtavuori data gets into that ballpark with slow burning pistol powders: https://www.vihtavuori.com/reloading-data/handgun-reloading/?cartridge=41

 

Published 38 Special data is for much lower pressures than 357 Magnum. Modern cases can take more. Guns made for 38 Special, maybe not.

 

That's been my issue. It seems like the data for .38 shows a case pressure that's about half of .357.

 

6 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Don't know re: .38 Special in a .357 gun, but with 9mm and .40

most people use  fast powders  and  heavy bullets.

 

Don't know why a shorter case would be a problem  -  as long

as the gun is rated for magnum loads.

 

Which gun are you using ?

 

I was thinking a 180gr bullet over Titegroup, Autocomp or Sport Pistol. The gun is a S&W 686

 

1 hour ago, jcc7x7 said:

Starline Brass

Col 1.550 or longer

Slow burn powder

Starting 357 load and CAREFUL work up.

?in why but it's your choice

 

Trying to eject and reload a moonclip of .357 cases while moving is significantly harder than it is with shorter brass.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What gun game is going to score you Major? Not uspsa or icore with a 35 call bullet. 

Unless you want to shoot open with your revo in uspsa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sure you can score Major with a Revolver. As long as you reload every 6 shots and actually make PF.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This a pic of Hornady vol. 2 it looks like you could make power factor using this data. I used this same vol to load 125 gr jhp using 7.3 grs of unique which was a very good load. I bought this manual in the mid seventies. This data used a model 14 the same gun that I had at the time.

image.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, perttime said:

Sure you can score Major with a Revolver. As long as you reload every 6 shots and actually make PF.

 

That's kinda the trick, lol. I previously was using a 240gr RNFP in a .44 so it made major just by existing; 180's will need a little more juice.

 

That's the funny thing about the Revolver division rules – you're actually allowed to use a 7 or 8 shot gun in Major provided you only ever have six booms before a reload. It's a dicey proposition as the seventh would kick you to open.

 

28 minutes ago, Dwbsig said:

This a pic of Hornady vol. 2 it looks like you could make power factor using this data. I used this same vol to load 125 gr jhp using 7.3 grs of unique which was a very good load. I bought this manual in the mid seventies. This data used a model 14 the same gun that I had at the time.

image.jpeg

 

That's awesome, thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, matteekay said:

 

I was thinking a 180gr bullet over Titegroup, Autocomp or Sport Pistol. The gun is a S&W 686

 

I would think the WAC is too slow for what you need    :)   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

I would think the WAC is too slow for what you need    :)   

 

You might be right. I was thinking more of a medium burner to build some pressure but maybe that's too slow. I think I have HP38 and WST kicking around too - those would be a little slower than Titegroup but still on the faster side. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Try this: use .357 Mag data, loading to the correct magnum OAL. You have the same internal capacity, which gives you the same pressure, but with the benefit of ejecting shorter cases. 

 

This works as long as you’re not shooting a really light bullet that’s not long enough for the shorter case. You may need to use a taper crimp die. Or some bullets have a second crimp groove in the appropriate location, such as the XTP .357/180 or .44/300. 

 

5lOZLZR.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Genius!! I taper crimp right now (as I use grooveless coated lead) so that’s an easy experiment to try out. It should get me in the ballpark and then I can start adjusting COL and charge. Thanks!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you load long, you have a long cartridge to load into the cylinder.

I'd want the total cartridge as short as possible. Start from published 38 data and work up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, jcc7x7 said:

What gun game is going to score you Major? Not uspsa or icore with a 35 call bullet. 

Unless you want to shoot open with your revo in uspsa

 

18 hours ago, matteekay said:

You sure?

Screen Shot 2018-10-15 at 8.42.32 AM.png

I stand corrected.

Honestly thank you for the correction!

Neil

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I stand corrected.
Honestly thank you for the correction!
Neil


The funny thing about that is I thought the same thing until recently. There’s no minimum caliber for revo in the 2014 rules so I have no idea where I got that from either.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Try 6.8 Unique 158 plated bullet @1.540” 

169PF from a 6” barrel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I'm not a revolver shooter but I am curious as I've pondered trying it out...

 

If you are reloading 38 brass to 357 COL then that might fix the eject problem but isn't the reload problem going to remain?

 

Perhaps the case mouth being a little farther "south" will help?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My buddy used to load major with a 260 grain loaded in a trimmed short colt case using some s#!t CBC powder in Brasil.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LilBunniFuFu said:

My buddy used to load major with a 260 grain loaded in a trimmed short colt case using some s#!t CBC powder in Brasil.

 

260gr in a .357 or .38. Are you sure?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, ddc said:

So I'm not a revolver shooter but I am curious as I've pondered trying it out...

 

If you are reloading 38 brass to 357 COL then that might fix the eject problem but isn't the reload problem going to remain?

 

Perhaps the case mouth being a little farther "south" will help?

 

 

You're not wrong. Ideally I could stick close to a .38 COL - with good 160gr round nose bullets, they tend to find the holes. That being said, even at .357 COL, having the ejector clear the brass completely out of the cylinder is a big deal on the clock.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, perttime said:

 

260gr in a .357 or .38. Are you sure?

 

In a 38 short colt case trimmed down to their "trainer" cartridge. It's ridiculous the projectile alone was longer than the casing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×