Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open gun lengths

jstagn

On 10/28/2018 at 7:27 AM, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: Last time I shot with KC he was shooting a full length, I think Chris Tilley(4th) shoots for Infinity still? Another thing to take into account here is that most of the top guys are in great physical condition and practice alot. The average A and M shooter can't afford the time or expense. So I still say get a full length, work up a load and go shoot. Thanks, Eric

On 10/28/2018 at 7:55 AM, Gooldylocks said:

TIlley is on Akai now. I'm not 100% positive, but I am thought KC shoots midlength Razorcats, same as JJ's guns only black. I could be wrong, they could be full length. 

<Tangent/thread derail incoming, you've been warned>

Why couldn't you do the same thing as an A or M? Work up a load and go shoot. You don't have to mess around with load development any more than with a full length gun, just get a load that feels nice and makes PF then load a lot of it. Yes, some of the guys at the top are in exceptional shape and have near-unlimited practice ammo, but not everyone. I was chatting with Nils and he said he probably only shot 18k or something like that this year. I'm right there too, about 20k. My buddy Christian shot maybe 25 at most. I am certainly not in "great physical condition", anyone who has seen the amount of fried goods and beer I consume could tell you that. Chris Tilley isn't in great shape either, nor are Eddie or Saul. The guys at the top all have the same time/work constraints and everything else too.

So I disagree that "The average A and M shooter can't afford the time or expense." It comes down to just deciding you want it bad enough to make it happen? Most of the progress in shooting is made in dryfire, which costs no money whatsoever. Cutting out one club match a month and practicing instead for most people would increase their ammo budget by at least a few hundred rounds a month If you figure it costs about 40-50 bucks to shoot a match between gas, match fee and lunch. 400 rounds a month extra for 12 months is 5000 additional rounds of live fire practice a year. That's a lot. 

I completely agree.  It comes down to HOW BAD DO YOU WANT IT.  

I'm a full-time college student with access to my gun once every other weekend and time to shoot about 500 rounds.  I just have the drive to compete and win, and will do anything in my power to get to that level.

I've realized that at a young age when I said things like, "Of course he's going to beat me, he's a professional, or he shoots x amount of rounds a year and lives on the range". That negative talk is what separates the best shooters.  Work with what you have and push yourself.

As far as the guns go, I believe middy or shorty is best.  The transition speed is great and have the same low recoil impulse.  

Shay builds baller guns at all lengths, but I'm really liking my middy.  Unfortunately I tried a shorty at nats and loved that too.  

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 10 months later...
I completely agree.  It comes down to HOW BAD DO YOU WANT IT.  

I'm a full-time college student with access to my gun once every other weekend and time to shoot about 500 rounds.  I just have the drive to compete and win, and will do anything in my power to get to that level.

I've realized that at a young age when I said things like, "Of course he's going to beat me, he's a professional, or he shoots x amount of rounds a year and lives on the range". That negative talk is what separates the best shooters.  Work with what you have and push yourself.

As far as the guns go, I believe middy or shorty is best.  The transition speed is great and have the same low recoil impulse.  

Shay builds baller guns at all lengths, but I'm really liking my middy.  Unfortunately I tried a shorty at nats and loved that too.  

Found this thread while researching gun lengths myself.@csailer came through and backed it up. Maybe this will help some others too!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, af_tt said:

Found this thread while researching gun lengths myself.@csailer came through and backed it up. Maybe this will help some others too!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

10 months is an eternity in this game of gear wars. He now shoots for another company for starters.

Well, I'll throw my two cents in here.  I have Open guns with bull barrels and steel comps, bushing barrels with steel comps and two with custom Trubore blanks.

What used to be my main Open blaster had a poly grip and was nose heavy.  It swung like a log, even though it was lighter than some of my others.  The cone comp gun swung faster, but had more muzzle rise.  My latest is the heaviest with a SS grip, but it balances perfectly.  Even though it is heavy, I feel it transitions faster.  I can't measure it, but my HFs are up.

10 months is an eternity in this game of gear wars. He now shoots for another company for starters.
Sure, but did he change his mindset too? Maybe he will chime in in what length gun he is shooting now.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Sure, but did he change his mindset too? Maybe he will chime in in what length gun he is shooting now.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Christian’s gun is posted on IG 3a3eda74fed41a98a5d69eea0448bbbf.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, hi all.  Mindset has not changed as far as work ethic as mentioned above. 

As far as guns I really really like my Infinity Firearms IMM open gun.  5 inch barrel.  It's perfect.  The tracking and softness is second to none.  On top of that the fit and finish is unreal.  Unreal.  The quality and precision in my gun is insane.  If you want the best gun money can possibly buy this is it.  Let me know if you guys have questions.  

The purple one is my backup for now, but will be used at area 2 and as my primary and future.  I shot my first gun I got from them when I won nationals last week. :)

47 minutes ago, csailer said:

Yes, hi all.  Mindset has not changed as far as work ethic as mentioned above. 

As far as guns I really really like my Infinity Firearms IMM open gun.  5 inch barrel.  It's perfect.  The tracking and softness is second to none.  On top of that the fit and finish is unreal.  Unreal.  The quality and precision in my gun is insane.  If you want the best gun money can possibly buy this is it.  Let me know if you guys have questions.  

The purple one is my backup for now, but will be used at area 2 and as my primary and future.  I shot my first gun I got from them when I won nationals last week. :)

This 👆.. And I own Akai