Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open gun lengths

jstagn

6 hours ago, Shadyscott999 said:

Not really.  At Akai every team guys get to shoot what he wants.  In all honesty I don't know anyone that is forced to shoot a particular configuration.  Thye may have to shoot from their builders catalog but beyond that...
This is video filmed yesterday of my 4" commander length gun with titanium comp and 177PF ammo.  The new shorties are as flat and many cases flatter than full sized guns.  That is why they are growing in popularity .  They aren't "soft shooting" by any means.  They really hit your hand hard but they pay off in spades with flat trackability and quick handling.  
I will ask Shay later, but I would be willing to bet 95% or better of the open guns he is building are mid and shorts.  

Is this running a 4” recoil system as well or was this a 5” cut down?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

19 hours ago, Shadyscott999 said:

Not sure who you are watching.  Short is in and selling like hotcakes.  ESPECIALLY at the top of the food chain.  

18 hours ago, Shadyscott999 said:

That will be a change.  A short or mid gun has won the last 3 for sure.  

9 hours ago, Shadyscott999 said:

Not really.  At Akai every team guys get to shoot what he wants.  In all honesty I don't know anyone that is forced to shoot a particular configuration.  Thye may have to shoot from their builders catalog but beyond that...
This is video filmed yesterday of my 4" commander length gun with titanium comp and 177PF ammo.  The new shorties are as flat and many cases flatter than full sized guns.  That is why they are growing in popularity .  They aren't "soft shooting" by any means.  They really hit your hand hard but they pay off in spades with flat trackability and quick handling.  
I will ask Shay later, but I would be willing to bet 95% or better of the open guns he is building are mid and shorts.  

I'm assuming you're talking about 38 Super/Super Comp?

Do you feel the same way about shorties shooting 9 major?

7 hours ago, MikeBurgess said:

As you can see reading this (or any other gun build thread) is, as long as it is basically suitable for the division and 100% functional, the actual design details make so little difference that no one design can show itself to be enough of an advantage to make any difference in match outcomes. If the gun actually made that much difference then all major matches world wide would be won with guns that were the same, but they are not, we as competitors are just on a perpetual mission to attempt to purchase an advantage that does not actually exist.  

What does this mean? run whatever you like the look or feel or weight or balance of and accept that any wins or losses are yours alone.

??

3 hours ago, d_striker said:

Good question, cause that’s not changing for me

On 10/15/2018 at 6:43 PM, Shmella said:

You ever play around with steel grips on your bedell? I grabbed the one that came up last week, pretty much the same as yours and I’m tempted to throw a steel grip on it. I’m chasing the feel of my sv imm I sold a short while ago. I haven’t even shot the bedell yet lol just wondering if you ever went steel grip route with The bedell

Had Dan build this shorty for me last winter. Love the steel grip on it. Surprisingly makes same power factor as my full size Bedell with same powder drop.

I went from a full size to a shorty. Like the way it feels to me a lot better. 

E566D796-8305-4F55-92B5-EB87A5EB262A.jpeg

On 10/17/2018 at 4:53 PM, d_striker said:

Yes.  They are a little bit harsher but Shay has them so close in feel many of us have 9 barrels for practice.  

As others have said, shoot what you can to try them, and buy the one you like. I am not sure about your skill level, but for me It wont matter about a shorty, middy, or full length. Practice will make me a lot better before the length of the gun. Now on the other part I have shot several of the custom guns and to me the flattest shooting gun is the AKAI.  I am running a full length metal grip gun V6 in 9mm  from AKAI and thing runs like a dream. I like a heavier gun so I went full size. 

On 10/23/2018 at 4:30 PM, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: From what I see I think there are 9 in the top 16. Thanks, Eric

1. Limcat middy
  2. Limcat middy
  3. Akai middy 
  4. Akai middy
  5. SV middy
  6. McLearn full-length
  7. SV middy 
  8. Akai full-length
  9. Unsure, pretty sure he shoots a Hybrid-barreled middy
  10. Don Fredenhagen @donnyglock middy
  11. Don't know
  12. Akai Shorty
  13. EMG full-length
  14. Unsure, I think it is full-length
  15. Full-length
  16. Akai, not sure if middy or full-length
Edited by Gooldylocks

Hello: Last time I shot with KC he was shooting a full length, I think Chris Tilley(4th) shoots for Infinity still? Another thing to take into account here is that most of the top guys are in great physical condition and practice alot. The average A and M shooter can't afford the time or expense. So I still say get a full length, work up a load and go shoot. Thanks, Eric

3 minutes ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: Last time I shot with KC he was shooting a full length, I think Chris Tilley(4th) shoots for Infinity still? Another thing to take into account here is that most of the top guys are in great physical condition and practice alot. The average A and M shooter can't afford the time or expense. So I still say get a full length, work up a load and go shoot. Thanks, Eric

TIlley is on Akai now. I'm not 100% positive, but I am thought KC shoots midlength Razorcats, same as JJ's guns only black. I could be wrong, they could be full length. 

<Tangent/thread derail incoming, you've been warned>

Why couldn't you do the same thing as an A or M? Work up a load and go shoot. You don't have to mess around with load development any more than with a full length gun, just get a load that feels nice and makes PF then load a lot of it. Yes, some of the guys at the top are in exceptional shape and have near-unlimited practice ammo, but not everyone. I was chatting with Nils and he said he probably only shot 18k or something like that this year. I'm right there too, about 20k. My buddy Christian shot maybe 25 at most. I am certainly not in "great physical condition", anyone who has seen the amount of fried goods and beer I consume could tell you that. Chris Tilley isn't in great shape either, nor are Eddie or Saul. The guys at the top all have the same time/work constraints and everything else too.

So I disagree that "The average A and M shooter can't afford the time or expense." It comes down to just deciding you want it bad enough to make it happen? Most of the progress in shooting is made in dryfire, which costs no money whatsoever. Cutting out one club match a month and practicing instead for most people would increase their ammo budget by at least a few hundred rounds a month If you figure it costs about 40-50 bucks to shoot a match between gas, match fee and lunch. 400 rounds a month extra for 12 months is 5000 additional rounds of live fire practice a year. That's a lot. 

5a73a2833cf6260d2814274bf56b3c08.jpg

6ca9710f2caa666ccd617447094ec173.jpg

I’ve got one of each and they both need a little “something” to be perfect.

The shorter one definitely takes more work to control with its shorter slide and titanium comp. It’ll get the EVO grip installed after I sell off the Original PT grip which should add a little weight. I may install a steel comp as well to balance it out a little better.

The full size is an ‘05 McLearn build with a full profile slide and steel comp. It is HEAVY!! I do shoot it a bit better and rarely shoot mikes with it as it takes work to pull of targets. It is an extremely flat/stable gun to shoot and it’s my go to for matches. My plans are basically to swap the comp to a titanium one and possibly add a racker. Really don’t want to mess with it much as it’s been dead reliable.