Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Prepping 223 bras on a Dillon 650

I have owned my 650 for about 6 months now and have only loaded 9mm on it. I am going to start loading 223 on my 650 soon and had a question on swageing the primer pocket, for efficeny I was considering purchasing a Swage It and installing it when sizing my brass. Does anybody here use it and it not can you recommend an alternative?

I have a 650 and the Swage It my review is so so. 

The problem is swaging requires extra force to push the crimped brass away and size the primer pocket properly. The shell plate was not designed to stay accurate with the upwards force put in it by the swage device. Basically while it does improve the pockets it in no way does a proper swage job on the brass. 

My my solution for swaging is I just ordered a 1050, which has a proper swaging attachment designed into the press. 

Of of course you can just hand swage or ream the pockets as needed, but that really slows things down. 

Ehhh, I only used it for a few hundred before adding a mark 7. It seemed better before the autodrive, I only use LC brass because it seems to take minimal swaging to take a new primer. I think if the swage it was slightly larger in diameter might work better.
I wouldn’t buy it again. I’m considering just using a countersink bit in a drill. It doesn’t take much and should be quick. There’s really no good option for us 650 owners.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The best option is a proper tool, and a counter sink bit is not...is very easy to over do it and render the case unusable...

Get a primer pocket reamer which can also be chucked in a drill, or the 600 swage tool.

Edited by RiggerJJ

Got it so instead of a Swage It on a 650 I would be better off to have a Mighty Armory die in a single stage or a Dillon Super Swage? Or a prep center and just use the chamfering tool to cut the crimp out? 

Edited by NateTSU

The fastest would be to cut out the crimp. Whether a prep station or something chucked up in a drill. The super swage works, it’s just slower. You can add a spring for auto eject, you get into a rhythm and it’s decent..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Again, a chamfering tool is not the correct tool, it also can over cut the pocket and make the case unusable.

A swager, or primer pocket reamer...

And a properly set up 600 can be faster than a drill if it's set up with a auto eject spring.

I have used the Swage It and would not buy again. There's no way to adjust the amount of swage. Without a rod or backer to hold the case in place I have had several instances where a case is pushed through the shell plate.

The RCBS swage system works okay but is slow. If you are swaging a bucket full of 223 it will get old really quick. Mighty Armory has a similar system. I haven't used it but I imagine it works fine. Likely no faster than the RCBS.

In my opinion the best system out there (other than the 1050) is the swage kit for the Hornady Lock N Load AP. It runs the cases through the press upside down. The swage die is in the tool head and the cases go around the press on fingers. People are clamping an output hose on the press that goes to a box or bucket. That speeds things up a little.

The down side is you'll spend $400 or so for an LNL and another $80 or so for the swage. Plan B would be to hunt eBay or the marketplace here for a used press. Get it cheap and set it up just for swaging.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Well volume wise I shoot around 1k a year of 223 but that could easliy go up in the future. What I have done over the past several years was decap then size on my LNL AP then use a chamfering tool to cut out the crimp by hand. The process was very slow and tedious and took the better part of the weekend and I just don't have time do do it that way anymore. I sold my LNL to help fund the 650, sounds like it would have been a good brass prep machine but I would have a hard time keeping it for 1 weekend run a year. 

12 hours ago, NateTSU said:

I will look into.the Super Swage 600 with spring kit to help speed things up. I like the idea of a built in swager on a 1050 but can't justify the price difference right now. 

The Super Swage 600 (even with the spring) is not that great, either. 

If you don't have a huge need to process brass and have a single stage press already you might be just fine with the RCBS or MA swage.  CH4D makes a press mounted system as well.  Have no experience with the CH4D.  It swages using a shell holder and does not have a hold-down rod so I can't see how it would work much better than the Swage It. 

Edited by Tokarev

• 2 weeks later...
Has anyone used this RCBS die before? It seems like a good option to swage on my single stage since the 650 is out of the question.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/235832/rcbs-primer-pocket-swager-combo-2
Yes. I've used this as well as the lever activated unit that's sort of like the Dillon. Slow slow slow.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I prep brass on my 650.  I use the swage it in station 2.  Here's my setup

Station 1- Lee Resizing Die

Station 2- Swage-it

Station 3- empty

Station 4- Dillon RT 1500 trimmer

Station 5-empty

You remove the primer seater and install the swage it.  It works fine

• 3 weeks later...

As of right now this is what I'm doing. Bought an extra tool head.

I am decapping and swaging using swage it. 

Then a quick trip through the tumbler.  I resize and sort sizes.  

I reload as normal with another tool head with station 1 empty. 

I want to get set up like what STICK has done, will save a full step.