Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Base plate that gives highest capacity 9/38

Jfitz427

Hey guys, 

just got some 140mm gen 2 sti mags in 9/38. I’m thinking grams springs and followers, but which base plate will give the greatest increase in capacity? I’m looking at grams 11mm, the Dawson’s, or the taran 7mm. Beven said his 11mm with the 13 coil would give me 23rds. I’ve read a lot of other threads and they all focus on keeping them at 140mms. These are for open, so it doesn’t matter if they go past 140mm. So what combo will give me the highest capacity? I already have 170s, so these are just for reloads. Just wanna get the max capacity out of these..

8 minutes ago, chenault said:

I haven't found anything that gives me more than my stock MBX 140 mags.  

I already regret not buying mbx mags. But like I said, these can go past 140mm. So if there’s a larger base plate I should be able to get more then 23. I haven’t seen anything besides +1 base plates, no +2-3 or anything. Anyone know of the biggest baseplate available? 

1 minute ago, Jfitz427 said:

I already regret not buying mbx mags. But like I said, these can go past 140mm. So if there’s a larger base plate I should be able to get more then 23. I haven’t seen anything besides +1 base plates, no +2-3 or anything. Anyone know of the biggest baseplate available? 

I get 24 out of most of my MBX mags, but some people load to a 155, have you considered that, or are you just wanting to increase the purchase you've already made?  If you've already have mags that you are wanting to increase capacity, it may help to know what brand they are. 

16 minutes ago, outerlimits said:

arredondos will get you 24 OR 25...

Thanks, I didn’t even know they made stuff for 2011s. I just looked them up and they come with “inserts” for the sti 38 mags. What’s this insert? 

24 minutes ago, chenault said:

I get 24 out of most of my MBX mags, but some people load to a 155, have you considered that, or are you just wanting to increase the purchase you've already made?  If you've already have mags that you are wanting to increase capacity, it may help to know what brand they are. 

It says in the description they’re gen 2 sti 140mm 9/38 mags. So I’m wanting to increase with what I already bought. Although I’m thinking about returning them for some mbx mags. I have gen 2 sti 140s for my limited gun and they work perfect. Despite having the stock follower that will lock the slide when empty they cause no problems. But with these for my open gun when the mags empty I cant close the slide, it catches up on the follower, which doesn’t happen with my 40 mags, which are also bone stock. But when I load these up and actually shoot them, they cycle fine. But if I shoot till empty the follower jams up with the slide and the mag won’t drop, it has the be forcefully stripped out. I’m sure grams followers would fix this. But I was kinda hoping they’d work right out of the box. 

On note anyone ever try using 40 mags for 9mm? Yesterday I loaded up what I thought was one of these new 9mm sti mags. Shot the whole mag, absolutely perfect then when I pulled it out I realized it was actually one of my mbx 40 mags. I couldn’t believe it. So I loaded it up again just to see if maybe I got lucky the first time with it not jamming, and again it ran flawlessly.  I didn’t think this was possible? 

My fault, I didn't read the title well enough.  Man, I'd grab one set of Grams and just see if that fixes the issue.  I know a couple guys that use those with no problems.  

The 40 thing is interesting, I've never heard of that before.  

8 minutes ago, chenault said:

My fault, I didn't read the title well enough.  Man, I'd grab one set of Grams and just see if that fixes the issue.  I know a couple guys that use those with no problems.  

The 40 thing is interesting, I've never heard of that before.  

I think that’s what I’m gonna do. Can’t deicide on the base plate though. Beven said with his 11mm and the 13 coil I’d get 23. But I think with a bigger base plate  I could get more. I’m not limited to 140mm, 

but ya I was so surprised about the 40 mags working. I can’t believe I didn’t notice i was loading an mbx mag, as I don’t have any mbx 140s in 9. But I’m glad It happened or I never would have found this out. Now I only got through 2 mags. So further testing is needed. But I’m gonna try it again on Tuesday when I go to the indoor range. 

6 hours ago, chenault said:

I get 24 out of most of my MBX mags, but some people load to a 155 

IFF you can reload to a 155 as quickly as to a 140, that's the way to go.

If the 140 reloads faster for you, then 29 in the 170 and 23 in the 140

usually does it for most COF's.

Start with a 170 in the gun and then a 155 iff you need a reload.     :) 

Edited by Hi-Power Jack

9 hours ago, Balakay said:

I get 24 rounds of 38sc in my 140s

Older STI tube, 11 coil Grams spring and follower, 7mm TTI basepad

Hmm, that sounds like the combo. I’m surprised I wouldn’t get more with grams 11mm base. But I’ve read people get more with the tti. 

Keep in mind that if you are planning a reload to a 140, you may want to download the mag a round or 2 to ease the seating of the magazine. I would not stuff it with 24 and reload with it.

I have been practicing reloading to the big stick as this need comes up at matches more frequently than I initially realized

J, two things.  First, leave your new mags fully loaded for a week or two.  The springs will take a set and you will no longer have the follower hang up problem.  You have to do exactly the same thing with new MBX springs.

Second, just buy a couple of MBX 155s.  You can fit 27.  If you cut one coil off the 13 coils spring, you get 28.  Load 26 and you won't have any insertion problems no matter how softly you seat the mag.  Use your new STIs just as they are for classifiers or when you have to drop mags in dust or mud.

Hello: I am using Dawson Para base pads with TTI spring and followers on my 140mm mags. If you have 170mm you could use them for reloads or just use your 140mm mags. Start with a big stick or 140mm and reload to another 140mm or big stick. Don't over think it. Thanks, Eric

1 hour ago, zzt said:

J, two things.  First, leave your new mags fully loaded for a week or two.  The springs will take a set and you will no longer have the follower hang up problem.  You have to do exactly the same thing with new MBX springs.

Second, just buy a couple of MBX 155s.  You can fit 27.  If you cut one coil off the 13 coils spring, you get 28.  Load 26 and you won't have any insertion problems no matter how softly you seat the mag.  Use your new STIs just as they are for classifiers or when you have to drop mags in dust or mud.

I was thinking about this last night, probably should load them up for a while and see if that helps. 

I think that’s what I’m gonna do. Just pick up some new mbx 155s. I have one mbx 170 and it’s great, and my 140s in 40 cal are also great.  Right out of the box it’s ready to go. Then I’ll leave the sti stock and use them for practice and classifiers. 

14 hours ago, Jfitz427 said:

Thanks, I didn’t even know they made stuff for 2011s. I just looked them up and they come with “inserts” for the sti 38 mags. What’s this insert? 

Stops the rounds from rolling off follower on the bottom where there is no indents on the mags.

On 10/14/2018 at 7:36 PM, Jfitz427 said:

Hey guys, 

just got some 140mm gen 2 sti mags in 9/38. I’m thinking grams springs and followers, but which base plate will give the greatest increase in capacity? 

Grams (my personal favorite) and TTI (was Bolen's originally) provide the most capacity per given like size.  PM me for more info if you like

• 3 weeks later...

Well I did some experimenting with my sti gen 2 140s and the best combo is 

grams 11mm base pad

13 coil spring 

24rds reloadable, and not even very hard. As the springs wear in a bit it’ll probably get even easier. 23rds right now is super easy. 

Then I got some Dawson +1s. They told me the +1+ wouldn’t work for 9mm, so with this +1s and grams 11 coil spring I get 22 reloadable. I can stuff 23 in there, but just barely and it’s not even close to reloadable. 

I reslly like how easy it is to take off the Dawson’s, and I really like the look of them too. But the grams give a lot more capacity. And they’re not to hard to take apart. In this future Id buy more grams. 

25 minutes ago, Jfitz427 said:

Well I did some experimenting with my sti gen 2 140s and the best combo is 

grams 11mm base pad

13 coil spring 

24rds reloadable, and not even very hard. As the springs wear in a bit it’ll probably get even easier. 23rds right now is super easy. 

Then I got some Dawson +1s. They told me the +1+ wouldn’t work for 9mm, so with this +1s and grams 11 coil spring I get 22 reloadable. I can stuff 23 in there, but just barely and it’s not even close to reloadable. 

I reslly like how easy it is to take off the Dawson’s, and I really like the look of them too. But the grams give a lot more capacity. And they’re not to hard to take apart. In this future Id buy more grams. 

I assume this is for Open? 

4 hours ago, Jfitz427 said:

Yes, for open. I don’t have a gauge, but it looks like the 140 with the Dawson 1+ looks like it would be legal. It only adds like 4mm. 

In that case 140’s can be made pretty long since max length is 170