Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sear on a new Stock II

V2plus25

He'll polish everything as per general consensus (i.e. MM videos) and replace the 2 piece sear with the 1 piece.  If he then experiences any light strikes then we'll drop in the extended FPB to fix the problem.  And of course use the 15.5 PD hammer spring.

Good place to start. The primary advantage is easier assembly and disassembly with 1pc sear, although it does slightly improve the trigger as well.

One piece sear.

Patriot trigger and sear spring. (Buy a spare of each)

Conefit guide rod.

8 to 10 pound recoil spring.

A better front sight.

Hammer spring in the 13 to 15.5 neighborhood.

A good way to set up a tanfoglio.

11 hours ago, V2plus25 said:

If he then experiences any light strikes then we'll drop in the extended FPB to fix the problem.  And of course use the 15.5 PD hammer spring.

light strikes may be due to improperly seated/high primers in the ammo or too light of a hammer spring, outside the influence of the fpb.

the extended fpb will only help if the fp is impacting the fpb, slowing it down. you can see this in the form of peening on the fp. i believe MM made a good post on how to test/fit this.

i had issues with high primers that only the stock hammer spring would ignite. the 15.5lb PD spring would set them off.

if your friend uses factory federal ammo or properly seated federal primers in his ammo, he could probably go all the way down to the 10lb PD spring, for instance.

I’d hate to be limited to federal primers just to get a slightly lighted trigger pull, and I’m sure he feels the same way. Plus he loads on a 550. No way to ensure proper primer depth. 

On my Tanfos I found a few rounds of polishing does wonders to the trigger pull even with a 15.5 hammer spring. After dealing with the frustration of chasing down random light strikes for months on one of mine, I’m happy to sacrifice a lighter trigger pull for 100% ignition. 

Light strikes can be a sommmmabich to chase down , swapping parts trying to find right combo etc.  my limited 40 has no issues with PD Titan hammer, xl firing pin, Henning trigger 13lb hs, lighting off anything but my gold team has some build same set up and parts won’t light off anything but federals consistently.  Shows you how different a few thou can make in a gun.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/15/2018 at 12:08 AM, V2plus25 said:

If he then experiences any light strikes then we'll drop in the extended FPB to fix the problem. 

I assume everyone is also verifying that the FPB still blocks the pin after modifying/installing revised fob or sear or pin?

At a gun check on an upper level match I assume that the match official will push on the back of the firing pin with a punch with the hammer back & verify that the block stops the pin. 

2 of my guns would not pass this test after installing FP, extended FPB, 1 piece sear. I changed firing pins & this fixed the problem, I wonder if there is a better way though as the increased engagement length is still very marginal, perhaps something could be done to allow the one piece sear to rotate back a smidge more and maybe get a little bit more lift on the extended fob? . Talking to PD about it, Joe said they had seen one gun that had dimensions so far off that they welded a piece on the extended FPB to get sufficient lift. 

Hah actually that reminds me about a match earlier this year.  Equipment check guy fails the Tanfo shooter ahead of me for that very same thing.  I come along and he proceeds to demonstrate how my Tanfo is also failing safety checks.  Slide back and he's pushing in the firing pin saying uh oh you Tanfo guys need to make sure your FPBs work.

Well, I say, the Tanfo works a bit differently from others.  With the slide racked back, the FPB is released and yes the firing pin will move forward.  However with the slide in battery the FPB is held up by the sear and does indeed block the firing pin.  Thankfully after explaining and demonstrating that to him he un-DQ'ed the previous guy and we went on to finish the match.

12 hours ago, IHAVEGAS said:

I assume everyone is also verifying that the FPB still blocks the pin after modifying/installing revised fob or sear or pin?

At a gun check on an upper level match I assume that the match official will push on the back of the firing pin with a punch with the hammer back & verify that the block stops the pin. 

2 of my guns would not pass this test after installing FP, extended FPB, 1 piece sear. I changed firing pins & this fixed the problem, I wonder if there is a better way though as the increased engagement length is still very marginal, perhaps something could be done to allow the one piece sear to rotate back a smidge more and maybe get a little bit more lift on the extended fob? . Talking to PD about it, Joe said they had seen one gun that had dimensions so far off that they welded a piece on the extended FPB to get sufficient lift. 

Which FP did you have originally and which one did you change to?  On both of my Lim Pros which come with the 1 piece sear, my problems ended when I just polished up the factory FP and ran it vs the gen 1 PD one.  I'm sure the gen 2 one is better, but I'll wait till the factory FPs break before diving into that quagmire.

Fingers crossed on my buddy's Stock II once he changes to the 1 piece sear.  We should have a gen 2 PD FP on hand just in case the stock one doesn't work properly with the extended FPB.

Yeah you're correct though.  Every Tanfo has it's unique dimensions.  You never know till you start swapping out parts.

All 5 guns work with both the oem pins & Xtreme pins & 3 of the 5 work with the PD gen 2 pins. 

If you measure the PD pins from the flat that the FPB contacts to the round surface opposite you find that they are very slightly smaller in that dimension than both the Xtreme & the OEM, I did not check the other dimensions to explore whether or not there might be more play between the PD pins and the firing pin channels. 

Not knocking the PD part, at this point all I know with certainty is that a couple of my guns would not pass a FPB check (done in battery, seems weird that the guy checked your gun with the slide back, not the first Abbie Normal thing I have heard of at the equipment check stage though) with them installed. I almost wonder if manufacturing tolerances/specs of the extended FPB and one piece sears might have changed over time resulting in a little less lift? I'm running the Xtreme Titan hammer on my guns which I suppose could also be a piece of the puzzle, seems like I read that the sear rides it a little differently than an oem hammer.