Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hornady LNL Powder Drop Issues

teddym90

I've been having trouble with the ammo coming out of my Hornady LNL this summer where every couple hundred rounds (maybe less) I get a dud with no powder.  After it happened yesterday someone came over to me and said their LNL powder drop is sticking on the first few rounds so each time they start loading they have to either check or dump the first few.

Has anyone else experienced this and, outside of the obvious powder check die, found a solution?  My few quick searches on this on here and general internet didn't find a hit on this situation.

2 hours ago, teddym90 said:

Has anyone else experienced this and, outside of the obvious powder check die, found a solution?  My few quick searches on this on here and general internet didn't find a hit on this situation.

Dillon user here, so i can't help with a true solution to the problem, but an easy quality control check device:  http://www.uniquetek.com/product/T1572

Won one at a raffle last year and thought "great...what a piece of junk..."  now i can't imagine not having it.  

Sounds like something is binding up - have you checked the linkages on the arms that attach to the rotor?  Does the rotor move freely?  Is the powder drop loose and shifting in its bushing (Hornady will send you shims - for free- to tighten if you ask) ?  Are the linkage arms rubbing/pressing on another die (i.e. bullet feeder)?  Is the powder baffle installed?

Only times I ever had problems was with extruded rifle powders that would sometimes cause the rotor to hang up a bit.

BTW - the best solution I found for ensuring that powder has dropped properly was great lighting - I use this: UFO Reloading press led light … it lights from the side and from above.

Edited by techj

Thanks for all the ideas folks! I'll look into a mirror. 

Early in the year there was binding in the linkage. I was able to catch most of the bad loads from that because I do have a good bright light (specifically the Hornady branded one). I had it apart and cleaned it while I was resolving the linkage problem. 

I do have the powder baffle installed. 

Thanks for all the ideas folks! I'll look into a mirror. 

Early in the year there was binding in the linkage. I was able to catch most of the bad loads from that because I do have a good bright light (specifically the Hornady branded one). I had it apart and cleaned it while I was resolving the linkage problem. 

I do have the powder baffle installed. 
take apart the powder and the red base with some spray graphite. it will help with overall powder dropping

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk