Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911 weaknesses

yigal

20 hours ago, yigal said:

what weaknesses u are afraid  of  when u shoot 1911 /2011 guns during competitions.

i mean like: hammer drop

doubles

extraction problems

feeding problems

mags problems

thanks.

None of those. 

My guns work. If they didn't I'd fix them or throw them in the river

I have a Springfield 9mm with about 10k rounds through it and haven’t really had any problems. All I did was slap a magwell on and buy some Dawson mags. I clean mags before a match but have never cleaned them during a match or between practices. Even in sand the mags and gun run just fine. I’ve had 4 malfunctions, 2 stovepipes with no magazine inserted and one case stuck to the breech face because there was a lot of lube and carbon build up from shooting back to back 500 round practices with no cleaning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/14/2018 at 12:09 AM, yigal said:

what weaknesses u are afraid  of  when u shoot 1911 /2011 guns during competitions.

i mean like: hammer drop

doubles

extraction problems

feeding problems

mags problems

thanks.

Occasionally rounds don’t make it all the way home while feeding, and a little bit of trigger slap. But other than that, I’ve had  really good luck with mine.

With a properly set up 1911/2011 with high quality mags the only issues will be mag related.  Keep them clean (grit IS your enemy) and watch for weak mag springs. 

In a 2011 dropping the slide on an empty chamber (I say that for the 2011 due to most won't lock the slide back, if one does the same to a 1911 the results are usually the same as for a 2011) can eventually mess with a light trigger pull.  Usually you will start feeling creep, or maybe a slight secondary click before trigger break, if not addressed after more slide drops it may start going to half cock (this is harder on the sear than anything), then a while longer it may double.  May being the operative word.  The lighter the pull the quicker it happens.

Once I start feeling creep, or feel a click before the trigger pull is complete, or if one has gone to half cock I'll touch up the sear.  Doesn't take much and all is right again.

Of course Murphy Rules on everything!

I think the question really needs to be different. The question shouldn't be what the common issues are as that encompasses a wide range of users who clearly have varying levels of technical aptitude, attention to detail or maintenance practices. 

You should instead ask yourself if you are willing to put in the effort to ENSURE that your 1911/2011 will function reliably? The people who continually battle gun issues are also the ones who run them to complete failure without putting much effort into optimizing their function or proactively maintaining or replacing stuff BEFORE it wears to the point of failure. This is no different than car owners. The car owners with vehicles that last a long time without major issues are usually the ones who perform all of the proactive maintenance as defined by the manual. The people who end up stranded on the side of the road with a broken down car are usually the ones who also could care less about maintaining their vehicle. Guns are no different. Your shooting enjoyment and reliability are 100% in your control. What are you going to do to make that happen?

thank u. 

sorry . my english  suffers like some of the problems describe here in few guns.? and i find it difficult to express myself.

u are right.

for my opinion normal   1911/2011 have  few  weaknesses  like light trigger sys. and not properly tuned extractor/ejector. (mags it's other problem)

i am  running   for 5 month  new 2018? limited platform  under extreme condition . and i think that properly assembled 1911/2011 can work like best cz tso and even better.

2 hours ago, MikieM said:

CHA-LEE, is right. Our guns are like race cars. For top performance they require constant inspection and tuning. 👨‍🔧

of course .

unfortunately many shooters don't want to clean their  race guns and  inspect them regularly .

y, I don't know anyone who I shoot with in USPSA who does not routinely clean and inspect their 1911/2011 guns.  Maybe Glock shooters can get away with that, but not us.  I clean my Open guns before every match.  If I didn't I'd just be asking for trouble at the next match.  Geez, one monster match (400 rounds) is the limit.  Same with the 1911 45 I recently finished.  I built it tight, maybe too tight.  It needs cleaning after 200-300 rounds or there are issues.  CZs are not immune either.  I know my TS can go 500 rounds, but I clean it before every match anyway.

I don't know about the constant tuning bit.  I haven't 'tuned' anything on any of my race guns all year.  They didn't need it.  The only part I had to replaced was a worn thumb safety on one of the Open guns.  While I was at it I replaced the sear, hammer and disconnector, even though they really didn't need to be.  I think if you need to constantly tune, something is wrong.  Identify it and fix it.

On 10/14/2018 at 3:49 AM, Trent1k1 said:

Magazines dont always drop free from my 1911.  Thats my biggest worry.

I honestly cant remember the last malfunction with my 1911.  I know i have over 15k rounds through it  and all of that was USPSA or practice for USPSA.

That has been my only issue, and it is a rare one. With just over 20K through my SA loaded .45 I have yet to have either a FTF or FTE in either practice or competition. 

On 11/15/2018 at 8:14 AM, zzt said:

y, I don't know anyone who I shoot with in USPSA who does not routinely clean and inspect their 1911/2011 guns.  Maybe Glock shooters can get away with that, but not us.  I clean my Open guns before every match.  If I didn't I'd just be asking for trouble at the next match.  Geez, one monster match (400 rounds) is the limit.  Same with the 1911 45 I recently finished.  I built it tight, maybe too tight.  It needs cleaning after 200-300 rounds or there are issues.  CZs are not immune either.  I know my TS can go 500 rounds, but I clean it before every match anyway.

I don't know about the constant tuning bit.  I haven't 'tuned' anything on any of my race guns all year.  They didn't need it.  The only part I had to replaced was a worn thumb safety on one of the Open guns.  While I was at it I replaced the sear, hammer and disconnector, even though they really didn't need to be.  I think if you need to constantly tune, something is wrong.  Identify it and fix it.

On my 9mm Springfield Loaded Target, I can get maybe 1,000 rounds before it gets so dirty it causes issues. For the .45 Les Baer, maybe 600-700. For the .40 S&W, a Kimber converted by me I'm lucky to get 400 rounds before it has feeding issues. I also find I have to periodically clean the .40 magazines way more frequently than the others. 

When kept clean, all function as reliably as anyone could expect. When neglected, all function as reliably as you would expect a neglected  (non-plastic) gun to function.