Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911 weaknesses

yigal

All my 1911 based pistols are consistantly inconsistant. The position and angle of the rounds, the angle of the barrel, and the tortured path of the round from one place to another is really the cause of most 1911  problems. Tweaking and tuning all the separate parts is an endless journey that will never fix all the problems from an old design. The joy of shooting a 1911 is in the trigger and the pain is dealing with the malfunctions. That’s why we love ‘em. 

I expect any 1911 to fail at any time, for any reason. The mags are fragile and finicky, the slide is sensitive to thumbs and dirt, the grip safety is cantankerous, the extractor has constipation, and so on. If it were any other type of gun but an American icon and a work of art, I would take every 1911 I had to a gun show and get rid of them. However,  I will continue to shoot 1911/2011 for fun and malfunction training, but not where reliability counts like competition or personal defence.

41 minutes ago, xtian999 said:

I continue to shoot 1911/2011 for malfunction training, but not where reliability counts like competition or personal defence.

I'm guessing your 1911 is a 9mm ?

I've never fired a 1911  9mm, but my .45 is a pleasure to shoot with the right ammo.

My 9mm Major 2011 was a bit finicky, but if the springs are all new, it goes 3,000

rounds without a hiccup - assuming the mags, springs and ammo are just right.     :) 

I don't own one ( don't think I have ever fired one), but I guess a Glock will feed

almost anything  -  do you carry a Glock ?

I agree, that the trigger is much better on a good 1911.

o.k 

mags problem: it can make problems with  any gun even with cz and cz tso  and tanfo type guns.

i use  6 months  for trial  9mm minor 2011 type limited gun with 1lb and 5oz trigger pull w.

gun  has similar to  para  mags. types. they looks better than sti mags.  works good.

I get a kick out of reading threads on 1911 issues.

I figure some day, one of mine may have a problem and if I'm lucky I'll be able to remember what caused it and how to fix it from one of these threads.  In 40 years of concealed carry, LEO (only a very few years earlier in my life), carrying a 1911 to the range to prove to myself and my nephew and youngest son that the lousy glock groups weren't my fault the only issues I've had is one magazine failure (welds broke on the floor plate and it dropped floorplate, spring, follower and rounds out the bottom), one failure to feed on the 1917 made Colt 1911 (swelled round where the bullet was seated at an angle), and the Series 70 Colt used to eat brass.

My Colt Combat Commander will feed one empty case after another out of the magazine, up the ramp and into the chamber, used to do it just to show people that wouldn't believe it.

Never replaced a part that broke.  Did replace the safety on the 1917 made Colt right after I got it but that old fella has had a bunch of rounds through it before I got it.

No extractor issues, no broken springs, nothing I can think of to make me doubt the reliability of an old Colt 1911.

Edited by M1A4ME

Magazines dont always drop free from my 1911.  Thats my biggest worry.

I honestly cant remember the last malfunction with my 1911.  I know i have over 15k rounds through it  and all of that was USPSA or practice for USPSA.

I read the second post here and wondered what kind of crap he was shooting.  My first 1911 45 went 40,000 without a hiccup.  Then the hammer would occasionally drop to half-cock after cycling.  I recut the hammer hooks and refaced the sear nose and all is well. 5,000 rounds later I still have no problems.

My second 1911 45 (built by me) has also had no problems.  A third 1911 build (9mm in progress) will have no problems either.

Both of my 2011s have seen many, many thousands of rounds through them with only one hitch.  My main 2011 Open gun failed the safety check this year.  The pad on the thumb safety had worn down from so many applications in live and dry firing.  It was an SVI part, so don't assume it was junk.  A new Thumb safety cured the problem.  BTW, the SVI sear and hammer showed no wear after the 12,000 rounds I put through it, plus the four season's worth the previous owner had.  He had only replaced the STI poly grip, because he literally wore it out with dry fire practice and mag changes.

I use Wilson ETM mags in my 1911s.  They just plain work.  If you are having mag problems, check the mag catch shelf height.  Many manufacturers deviate from spec on purpose.  That can cause problems with some mags.

BTW, lots of my shooting buddies shoot 1911 9mm guns without problems.  So caliber is not the issue.

4 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

I don't own one ( don't think I have ever fired one), but I guess a Glock will feed

almost anything  -  do you carry a Glock ?

Was at the range about a year ago shooting next to an Aux. Police officer with a Glock .45 (whatever that model is) and was shooting 230gr ball. He asked me about my 1911 and what I was shooting, because it didn't seem to recoil as badly. I showed him my box of 155gr LSWCs and he asked if he could try some. I said sure. He loaded a mag and the first one jammed on the feed ramp. So did the second. And every one after. Only way he could get them to chamber was to drop the round into the chamber and drop the slide. Then he couldn't believe that my 1911 would feed them because Glocks are so much more reliable. I loaded a mag and fired them all without a hitch. Then just to drive my point home, Ioaded another mag with empties off the floor and cycled the slide. Fed and ejected all of them without a hitch.

He didn't want to talk to me anymore. ?

Edited by Dranoel

IMHO the 1911/2011 and the Glock both get bad raps for things they don't deserve. They both have had issues in the past that have been resolved. The Glock bulge is one urban legion that doesn't hold up to my actual experience. In my years of reloading for high volume USPSA competition and practice, the majority of the bulged brass I've passed through a bulge buster was not from a striker fired pistol. Yep that's right, I said it, the majority were NOT from a striker fired pistol. I've stopped checking for the striker divot just before running a piece of bulged brass through the bulge buster because it was so constantly not there.  

The reliability of the 1911/2011 is the same thing. If you keep it clean and don't drop the mags on concrete, they run just as reliably as any other pistol receiving high volumes of ammo. Can they be finicky, oh yes, but the problems are known and can be easily tuned out. Once tuned they run just as well as any other pistol. Is the Glock easier to maintain and keep going, absolutely. The learning curve is just a little longer with the 1911/2011.  Would you really carry a Glock that you haven't fully tested?

I started with Glocks. I still use them from time-to-time for practice and competition. My backup competition gun is a TTI Glock. I've only had to use the Glock in a competition once because the 2011 failed. It was my own fault for trying to stretch an extractor past its life span. The majority of my shooting is with the 2011 because I like the feel, trigger, recoil, accuracy and looks of the 2011. To me it's just a personal preference between the other pistols and the 1911/2011. I have no reliability concerns about one over the other.

Edited by 72stick

The dreaded Glock bulge. And the term is "Urban Legend" not Legion... (darn you auto correct!)

Well, its a fact a lot of .40 brass is bulged from unsupported chambers, laying around all over the place after matchesm or ranges. And its the reason full length and undersized dies are so popular. If they are not coming from Glocks, they must be coming from a few 1911/2011s as the other most popular .40s in USPSA.

My personal experience from years of high volume reloading is that the bulged brass is from Glocks primarily, as I have sourced many 5 gallon buckets of used .40 brass from Police Dept ranges - that just shoot Glocks. And all the .40 cases were bulged.

I do see bulged brass from 2011s sometimes; some "gunsmiths" get overly aggressive with the feedramp and open up the bottom rear of the chamber, to try to get a gun to run *usually its mag problems not ramp problems btw) and you get those darn smiley shaped bulges. 

Whatcha gonna do.

10 hours ago, yigal said:

what weaknesses u are afraid  of  when u shoot 1911 /2011 guns during competitions.

i mean like: hammer drop

doubles

extraction problems

feeding problems

mags problems

thanks.

None.  I've been doing this long enough now that I know how to maintain my pistols properly which keeps me from having to worry about any of that.  Of course a high quality pistol and good ammunition helps!!

1 hour ago, RangerTrace said:

None.  I've been doing this long enough now that I know how to maintain my pistols properly which keep me from having to worry about any of that.  Of course a high quality pistol and good ammunition helps!!

?

I need to keep an eye on the magazines with my .45.

Usually it is a case of magazine not dropping free. The same thing might lead to inconsistent feeding if not corrected. My solution: give the offending magazine a squeeze with a C-clamp or similar.

Magazines mainly used: 7-round CMC and 8-round Tripp. Stainless steel.

I have owned alot of 2011‘s and have only experienced problems with a few of them. One issue was the grip safety and another  issue was ammo. My 40 Cal limited Guns have always gone bang and never ever not worked. 

Edited by Posvar

17 hours ago, yigal said:

what weaknesses u are afraid  of  when u shoot 1911 /2011 guns during competitions.

i mean like: hammer drop

doubles

extraction problems

feeding problems

mags problems

thanks.

None.  I have many in 9, 40 and 45 and all are 100% reliable.  It's not difficult to achieve.  You just need a builder who knows what he's doing, and then you need to keep them clean and perform routine maintenance, like changing springs and replacing worn parts.

1 hour ago, xtian999 said:

No need to get personal. Telling the truth about 1911 is like telling someone that their dog has fleas, their wife is fat, and their baby is ugly. It may be true, but they don’t want to hear it.

The truth is ... well, just what 1911/2011 owners are saying here.  Read on! 

1 hour ago, xtian999 said:

No need to get personal. Telling the truth about 1911 is like telling someone that their dog has fleas, their wife is fat, and their baby is ugly. It may be true, but they don’t want to hear it.

No one is getting personal, here. And I am unsure of just what truth it is we don't want to hear.