Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Switching from 1911 need advice

xtian999

Dropping my 1911 and going Glock:

I love my RIA Tac9 so much that I brought it to a Costaludis class. (pause for laughter.) The gun malfunctioned so many times that Chris strongly “suggested” that I borrow HIS backup pistol for the rest of the class! (Super guy, super class, great advice, the backup gun functioned flawlessly.)

When I handed it back to Chris uncleaned and w/dirty mags , he looked at me and said: Get a Glock.

So, I am looking for a Glock.

I shoot local steel and paper and will train with and carry the new pistol both open and concealed. 

I want carry optics b/c the guys who brought optics to Costa’s class were putting far more holes in the right places than the rest of us. And I’m getting old man’s eyes.

I like everything about the 1911 trigger (when it works,) but since I am going Glock, I want to mimimize all the spongyness and creep possible. 

Don’t have to have barrel length b/c carry optics, but I have huge hands and like mag capacity.

My question is: Staying w/9mm and willing to getting work done to improve trigger, which Glock is the one for me?

Please suggest a pistol and upgrade path.

Thank you in advance.

You should probably get a 17 MOS and look into a Jonny Glock trigger. From what I’ve read, he does amazing things with OEM parts. I’d also recommend the Leupold Delta Point Pro, I like the larger glass in mine. Any other questions, feel free to ask. 

The 19, 45, 17 or 34.  The 45,  17 and 34 will have the same grip. So, pick slide and barrel length you want. 

I like the Delta Point Pro.

It's easy to spend a lot of money on the trigger. I've bought aftewrket kits and just did spring and connector swaps. The kits are better usually but not really worth the extra $ IMO. 

17 hours ago, dapribek said:

You should probably get a 17 MOS and look into a Jonny Glock trigger. From what I’ve read, he does amazing things with OEM parts. I’d also recommend the Leupold Delta Point Pro, I like the larger glass in mine. Any other questions, feel free to ask. 

This. 

Or fix your current pistol. 

Edited by HCH

I have two identical G19 G4s with springs and connectors, night sights, Magpul magwells and mags, kydek holsters... not too much money into them, same muscle memory, small enough to carry, large enough to shoot. Not that one would likely fail but two is one you know. 

Prior I had several Glocks customized and pimped with every aftermarket part... and while they were perhaps slightly more accurate off a rest, I don't see any difference in practice. Having a nice KKM barrel or tungsten guide rod won't matter and I regret falling for all that fanboy BS. 

They need aftermarket sights, DIY stippling, and either a lot of practice/breaking in or some trigger work. Keep it simple. 

I can send you my silly Glock parts box, probably $400 of bogus bullsheet tactickool aftermarket toy items left over from my experiments....

Edited by Frankly

On 10/13/2018 at 5:58 PM, dapribek said:

This is exactly the route I went except I have an RMR and BUIS.   Been happy with it. Love the Johnny Glock trigger though I am using a 5# striker spring. So it’s not super light. One thing you might want to consider, if you know what optic you want just have your Glock milled for it. If undecided MOS is nice because it’s easy to switch optics. 

Edited by Blue Jacket

+1 on Johnny Glock Triggers especially if you are going to carry go the route of his SD package.

A MOS is what you want with it you can use any Dot (I have a Delta Point Pro that I like, a JPoint that I scratched up the lens a bit and a venom vortex that looks promising), Gen 5 has a flared magwell, I like the grips on the Gen 4 & 5 and if you don't want finger grooves go with the Gen 5.

If you go with a dot you don't need iron sights, some still like to have them on but I've been using the same DPP for several months and haven't had to change batteries.  I leave it on and the dot comes on with movement.  Been consistent and reliable for me.  Note I don't use a dot to carry with though, just compete.

A plus with the MOS is you can remove the dot/adapter and/or not replace the filler plate.  I do wish Glock would have put the sight dovetail slot on the cover plate or I've seen some who are thinking of having one milled for Iron Sights.  The Mos dovetail sits further back than a normal glock dovetail so aftermarket sights may overhang the slide.

I have a Gen 4 G34 MOS with Johnny Glock Trigger  that I really like and I don't have any iron sights on it.  I like the look and after a season of competition I don't find it hard to find the dot now.  I also have a Gen 5 G19 it's box stock and I like how it feels, it shoots well but I just don't carry it much.

The Glock 17 is a full sized grip with a 4.49" barrel or the Glock 19 which has a shortened frame (my pinky finger hangs just over the bottom) and a 4.04" barrel.

Edited by pskys2

I like the messing around with the triggers trying out different combinations and trigger feels. And I've liked most of the triggers I've settled on. I eventually found that I shot a rolling break better than trying to replicate the 1911 wall. But when shooting heavier triggers I like a nice distinct wall.

I've spent far more than I would've if I just went Johnny Glock in the first place. If you know what you want... Sounds like he's the guy to go with.

I would suggest a 17 Gen 5 MOS. Rather than spending money on a trigger right away, I’d put a few thousand rounds through it and see if you like it stock. I put a lot into triggers and after a year or so I realized the stock trigger is easier for me to shoot at speed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 10/15/2018 at 8:37 PM, Glyndle said:

I would suggest a 17 Gen 5 MOS. Rather than spending money on a trigger right away, I’d put a few thousand rounds through it and see if you like it stock. I put a lot into triggers and after a year or so I realized the stock trigger is easier for me to shoot at speed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If one is an experienced shooter who knows what they want and are able to best use, then go for it.  If the platform is new, you're not sure of it or are still working your way up the ladder, Glyndle has it right, get it stock and shoot the heck out of it.  After you're bored with it and you feel the need to up the ante, start adding pieces.

On 10/13/2018 at 6:44 PM, mwc said:

The new Gen 5 G17 MOS just came out.  Get the TTI 3.25 kit if you don't like the stock trigger and then the scope of your choice.

^^   I would do this and leave the stock springs in if the gun is pure tactical.  Another option would be the - connector with a Wolff competition spring kit but I like the TTI kits better.

The Gen 5 guns are noticeably more accurate and the triggers are better.

Sounds good. Thank you guys for the info.  I’ll test a few different types at the range and see what model likes me. Looks like a Glock cert is a good way to get a new Glock, right?

Edited by xtian999
Skpelling

I have a gen 4 g34 also with a Johnny Glock trigger. Mine has a Burris ff3, no iron sights. It’s a great gun, and it’s utterly reliable. I mean boringly. Even set up for open, it just runs and runs. The trigger is about as good as it gets for a Glock, I added an extended firing pin which really helps with the lignt striker springs needed for a really light pull. You can get them down to the mid 3s with a stock striker spring, but to get down to 2lbs you need a lighter striker spring. 

Im actually going the opposite direction as you. From glocks to 1911/2011s. My new 2011 sps runs like a top. No problems what so ever. The new 9mm open gun I got is pretty good too. a great thing about glocks is you can do literally all the work yourself, there’s nothing I can’t do with a Glock all parts are plug and play. I don’t like that with my 2011s if something breaks I’ll probably have to take it to a smith to get fixed. But maybe in time I’ll learn them as well as glocks. 

No particular advice, I'll just tell you my G22 setup as a guy who competed only with 1911s and is now Glocking at the matches once in a while.  I'm not leaving 1911s behind, mine are very reliable.  I'm just mixing it up for fun.

This G22 (a gen 3, or maybe it's a gen 2) was a police department buy-back, sold to me by the officer who bought it from his department.  I added a KKM 40-to-9 conversion barrel, Johnny Glock trigger, a tungsten 13lb guide rod, Dawson adjustable rear and red fiber optic front sights, a Dawson Ice mag well, extended mag catch button, and Talon granulate grips.  I use the Magpul 17-round mags with +5 extensions.  This is not an expensive setup, especially compared to what some guys spend on their Limited equipment, but lo and behold, the gun is very shootable, much more accurate than I expected.  I am going to have fun telling certain acquaintances their custom 2011 just got beat by a $350 gun.  Or maybe I'll be kind enough to not point it out and just let Practiscore tell the story.

On ‎10‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 8:54 AM, Frankly said:

Having a nice KKM barrel or tungsten guide rod won't matter and I regret falling for all that fanboy BS.

I have that stuff on mine with no regrets about it.  I don't think my selection of barrel and guide rod were driven by fanboy thinking, those were just my choices.

On 10/20/2018 at 11:29 PM, Jfitz427 said:

I have a gen 4 g34 also with a Johnny Glock trigger. Mine has a Burris ff3, no iron sights. It’s a great gun, and it’s utterly reliable. I mean boringly. Even set up for open, it just runs and runs. The trigger is about as good as it gets for a Glock, I added an extended firing pin which really helps with the lignt striker springs needed for a really light pull. You can get them down to the mid 3s with a stock striker spring, but to get down to 2lbs you need a lighter striker spring. 

Im actually going the opposite direction as you. From glocks to 1911/2011s. My new 2011 sps runs like a top. No problems what so ever. The new 9mm open gun I got is pretty good too. a great thing about glocks is you can do literally all the work yourself, there’s nothing I can’t do with a Glock all parts are plug and play. I don’t like that with my 2011s if something breaks I’ll probably have to take it to a smith to get fixed. But maybe in time I’ll learn them as well as glocks. 

extended firing pin?  I've see skeletonized or lightened strikers but not an extended striker.  Who makes it?

No Glock trigger will ever feel like a 1911.  I find the Gen 5 trigger is better than previous gens.  I find the Salient Arms better and safe for carry though I do prefer Zev for competition/general shooting.

15 hours ago, Tampa-XD45 said:

extended firing pin?  I've see skeletonized or lightened strikers but not an extended striker.  Who makes it?

Jager makes the only one I’m aware of. That’s what I’m running. It ensures reliability with more then just federal primers. But not much more. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On ‎10‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 9:30 PM, SyNaPsE said:

No Glock trigger will ever feel like a 1911.

Absolutely true.  I've become convinced, though, that a decent Glock trigger will not hold me back (speaking only for myself here) and that triggers are slightly over-emphasized as far as how much advantage they can give.  My match scores and my practice show me my shortcomings, and the trigger isn't one of them.