Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mec-gar magazine question

Chrisyoung

Is there a sgnificant difference to choose the 17 round mec-gars over the 16 round magazines? I'm  shooting production and idpa so capacities above 10 are not important. The 17 round magazine cost more but are there  benefits to them other than one more round to justify the add cost? Thanks in advance. 

The finish on the 17 round mags is more durable in my opinion.  I run both and find that the 16 round mags need more consistent oiling to prevent rust and pitting.  Also, if you run the 16 round mags you will definitely need after market base pads because the flat steel ones that come on the 16 round mags will deform when you drop them on the ground (I use Springer Precision).  The plastic base pads that come with the 17 round mags are more durable but they're still plastic so most guys who run them in USPSA still go aftermarket for base pads.

Overall I like the 16 round mags for the reason that @WxGuy mentioned, but if you live in a really hot or humid climate, the better finish on the 17 round mags might be a bigger deal to you.

• 5 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Joedirt199 said:

16 rounders with rubber base pad are heavier and fall out better plus rubber takes the hits on concrete and rocks easier.

What rubber base pads are you referring to also how do they compare to aluminum ones like the ones Springer precision has?