Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best 9mm sizing die for 650

I have been using the Lee sizing die for 4 years. 

Thinking about changing it to something else that may fit 650 better, as more and more frequently the cases are crushed under station #1.  After trying alignment tool and other suggestions, and looking at slow-motion videos of the operations, my conclusion is that the Lee sizing die opening is just a tiny bit inwards away from the center of station #1.  Cases either slide into the die along their outer walls, or their walls get crushed.   

I know Dillon sizing die does not have this problem, but I don't like the coke bottle shape from the Dillon die, from my years of using SDB.   Are there any other 9mm sizing dies that perform well and don't have the case crushing issue on 650?

The threads on the Dillon toolhead are a bit sloppy. Loosen the nut on your sizing die, run an un-sized case up into the die and re-tighten the nut on the die. This helps with final alignment.

I run an EGW U-die in my 650. (The EGW die is made by Lee)

If all else fails, just go to a Dillon sizing die. They’re chamfered to help guide to case into station 1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

24 minutes ago, razorfish said:

...The threads on the Dillon toolhead are a bit sloppy. Loosen the nut on your sizing die, run an un-sized case up into the die and re-tighten the nut on the die. This helps with final alignment....

This technique really works. At least it has for me on several occasions now. (It's actually in the Dillon users manual as I recall but I had to be reminded after reading similar threads on this forum, lol...)

I did that... and it did work for a while, but then the occasional case crushing came back after a few k.  Very annoying. 

I found it also has something to do with how tight the shell plate is.  On my press, tighter shell plate has less case crushing, but causes primer station misalignment sometimes.  A little bit loose shell plate has more case crushings, but 0 primer misalignment.  I have used both alignment tools Dillon sent me.  All springs have been replaced with new ones not long ago at 70k mark.  The only part besides the sizing die may play a factor is probably the shell plate itself.  Looks fine but who knows.  I plan to replace both the die and the shell plate next. 

Edited by Dazhi

They are all acceptable.

If you want to size down as close to the shell plate as possible, buy Lee or Hornady

If you want the smoothest sizing, buy Hornady or Redding.

When carbide dies first came out, they had almost ZERO chamfer and it was easy if you were in a hurry to crush the case.

Best solution I found was to raise the shell plate, screw the sizing die down to just touch the shell plate, lower the ram, put a case in, raise ram and assist as needed to get case in the die, and, with the case in the die, tighten the lock ring down.

Other than that, you may have a timing/alignment issue or you simply need the large-mouth Dillon sizing dies...

If your rounds/cases won't chamber even after sizing, run a plunk test and find out what the issue is.:

Take the barrel out of the gun. Drop rounds in until you find one that won't chamber. Take that round and "paint" the bullet and case black with Magic Marker or other marker. Drop round in barrel (or gage) and rotate it back-and-forth a few times.

Remove and inspect the round:

1) Scratches in the ink on bullet--COL is too long

2) Scratches in the ink on edge of the case mouth--insufficient crimp

3) Scratches in the ink just below the case mouth--too much crimp, you're crushing the case

4) Scratches in the ink on case at base of bullet--bullet seated crooked due to insufficient case expansion (not case mouth flare) or improper seating stem fit

5) Scratches in the ink on case just above extractor groove--case bulge not removed during sizing. May need a bulge buster.

Plunk test picture.jpg