Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shadow 2 Light strikes

HorizonT_s

A CCI primer is seated fully at .004”-.006” below flush.

A winchester you can get to .007-.008” driving them down to .010” will certainly dimple them but they tend to run fine.

CCI primers are physically taller than many others: look at the height of 100 of them stacked in a primer tube.

The ideal press to load for light hammer springs is a 1050, with it’s swaging station and mechnaically adjustable seating depth. I run CCI’s .004”-.005” below flush and my (fullpower sprung) striker guns and PCCs never have light strikes. Ever. But they hit much harder than hammers do in DA.

The worst offender is actually the Dillon 650. The seating depth is not adjustable and high primers are frequently common. Remember, fully seated is .004” below flush with every brand of small primer.

We come into the CZ/Tanfo world having loaded for glocks and M&Ps... thinking “a flush primer is fully seated.”

A flush primer is a high primer.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

I use an 11.5# hammer spring with factory firing pin and factory pin spring. It lights absolutely everything off. I tinkered with the light pin spring some and ran into problems with the pin sticking in pin hole during dry fire and  sometimes on "drop hammer" command. Went back to factory pin spring and never looked back.

Edited by Flyingpig

• 3 weeks later...

I just bought my Shadow 2 and had a 8 1/2lbs Hammer Spring with the extended ultra light firing pin and spring.   I am also using Blazer ammo 124gr and also Lawman. Took it to the range and after about 150 rounds, I had 3 light strikes.   After reading some of the comments here, I am wondering if I should have just left it as stock as these light strikes can make a difference during matches.

45 minutes ago, SpiceMan said:

I just bought my Shadow 2 and had a 8 1/2lbs Hammer Spring with the extended ultra light firing pin and spring.   I am also using Blazer ammo 124gr and also Lawman. Took it to the range and after about 150 rounds, I had 3 light strikes.   After reading some of the comments here, I am wondering if I should have just left it as stock as these light strikes can make a difference during matches.

Yes it will make a huge difference in matches. The 8.5# HS is fine if you reload and use federal primerexclusively. I installed the 11.5# on mine and I don’t have any light strike problems with any brand of ammo or primer.

I did not think you should have any problems with that setup. I would still not get CCI primers, as even one light strike can cost you in a major match. I had it happen to me using a Czechmate with stock springs, where I had a light strike with CCI primers. 

Edited by abb1

I had issues with the 11.5# HS with Tulammo, but other than that it has eaten everything fine (except for a few of my first hand loads, which was more likely an issue with my seating depth since it hasn't happened since).