Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shadow 2 Light strikes

HorizonT_s

I just picked up a Shadow 2 and bought a 11.5 Hammer Spring for CGW as well as the extd firing pin and reduced firing pin spring. 

Are there any concerns of light strikes with this combo? I currently use blazer brass ammo which has cci primers which i have read are harder then most.

I have the same set up but use Winchester primers. The S1050 allows me to control the seating depth of the primers so I have not experienced “light strikes” or “high primers. 

The CCI small pistol primers was having a harder time to seat deeper and had a handful that ended up sideways in the primer pocket. I use the CCI sp primers for my PCC loads. 

Try a box or two and see. If you have problems, switch out the hammer spring to 13 and use it up. Probably won’t be able to feel the difference between the 11and 13 under match conditions. 

I’m using the same hammer spring setup from CGW on my shadow 2 and haven’t had any light strikes with factory ammo. Heck, I even used CCI primers for my reloads for testing the hammer springs (8.5, 11.5 & 13#) I have on hand and the only time I had light strikes was when I used the 8.5# spring. However, I mainly use Winchester primers for my competition loads along with the 11.5# spring and reduced power firing pin spring and extended firing pin.

2 hours ago, HorizonT_s said:

tbarker were you using an extended firing pin with the 11.5lb hammer spring?

Yes, I do.

I'm also leaving open the possibility that I could be running through a batch of suspect primers. These all came from the same lot. I just picked up some new Win primers that I'm going to try. As well as some Remingtons. Most of the other S2 users that I've talked to don't have this same problem. But for me, the light strikes happen anywhere from 1-5 out of 100 when I'm practicing.

14 hours ago, HorizonT_s said:

I just picked up a Shadow 2 and bought a 11.5 Hammer Spring for CGW as well as the extd firing pin and reduced firing pin spring. 

Are there any concerns of light strikes with this combo? I currently use blazer brass ammo which has cci primers which i have read are harder then most.

I run the same set-up, but reload my own ammo.  CCI primers would not ignite about 20% of the time.  I use Winchester primers with no issue... only a handful of failures in 50k+ rounds

10 hours ago, tbarker13 said:

Yes, I do.

I'm also leaving open the possibility that I could be running through a batch of suspect primers. These all came from the same lot. I just picked up some new Win primers that I'm going to try. As well as some Remingtons. Most of the other S2 users that I've talked to don't have this same problem. But for me, the light strikes happen anywhere from 1-5 out of 100 when I'm practicing.

Have you checked that you're firing pin is not worn?  Earlier this year i noticed my failure rate with Win primers was going up, replaced my firing pin and the failure rate went back down to nearly 0.  

Bottom pin had about 20k through it.  Replaced it with a new pin (Top)  There was only .004 difference in OAL...

20181013_081602.jpg

Edited by uewpew

2 hours ago, HorizonT_s said:

Will a 13# spring get rid of the light primer strike issue?

possibly...I have not tested 13# w/ CCI.  Test it out.  If you can't test it, then run factory main spring until you start reloading...then you can tailor your primer/spring combo to what yields best ignition and trigger feel for you.  

3 hours ago, HorizonT_s said:

Will a 13# spring get rid of the light primer strike issue?

It will if you have an extended firing pin and the extended firing pin spring. If not you will need to put the stock hammer spring in.

I’ve shot about 2,500rds using the 11.5lb Cajun hammer spring and stock fp, stock fp return spring, stock recoil spring. I’m loading WSPP in mixed brass. I had 3 light strikes at a class I took but the gun was hot and dirty.  The rounds fired the second time so I lean toward not seating the primers enough. Shadow 2 converted to SAO. 

I tried the extended fp and reduced fp return spring and was getting primer swipe and had my only stove pipe jam with it in. So I took it out. I’m using the stock recoils spring so it’s not unlocking early. I think the extended pin and stock return spring may work better. 

I have the slightest concern, so I put the 13lb spring in for piece of mind. Although it’s noticeably different trigger weight, it’s still pretty good and I like the slightly heavier pull. The 11.5 was pretty light. I do have the Cajun reduced power trigger return spring in and that helps. With a very light polish as per the Professor Atlas guide. 

Next trip I’ll try some Blazer and Lawman factory since those are my backup rounds. and for classes that don’t allow reloaded ammo. 

For ease:

13lb hammer spring

reduced power trigger return spring

stock fp and fp return spring

SAO trigger with removed disconnector 

Stock recoil spring

Shoots fine with my reloads with WSPP

• 1 month later...

So I want to update on this. I have had zero issues with the 13lb spring. Last match I had one jam but I have zero clue to the cause I didn’t slow down to pay attention but no issues after that.  I still need to put in the 11.5 spring to test but haven’t found time.