Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Has anyone tested to see if the Gen 5 is in fact more accurate?

mwc

Have any of you tested to see if the Gen 5 is in fact more accurate the older versions?  I'm talking rested or sandbagged at a range of more than 20 yards?

Edited by mwc

Yes, in my experience. With my gen 3's my groups at 25yds varied between 3-4" depending on the gun and the day ( sand bags, red dot, 5 shot groups). Both my gen 5's (34 and 17) shoot better than that. They are consistently less than 3" and usually around 2".

Edited by lumberjack149

2 hours ago, lumberjack149 said:

Yes, in my experience. With my gen 3's my groups at 25yds varied between 3-4" depending on the gun and the day ( sand bags, red dot, 5 shot groups). Both my gen 5's (34 and 17) shoot better than that. They are consistently less than 3" and usually around 2".

That's good to hear.  Would you mind sharing the load you use?

4 hours ago, lumberjack149 said:

Both my gen 5's (34 and 17) shoot better than that. They are consistently less than 3" and usually around 2".

I am not saying that this is an overstatement but what I will say is that 2" groups at 25yds are better than what many finely-tuned 1911's are capable of and almost unheard of out of most polymer pistols.

20 hours ago, Cy Soto said:

I am not saying that this is an overstatement but what I will say is that 2" groups at 25yds are better than what many finely-tuned 1911's are capable of and almost unheard of out of most polymer pistols.

I agree with you and expected a comment like this but that was my point when the comment at the top was joking on glocks and "define accuracy".  I would agree with him on some of the older plastic pistols, as i had an M&P with an accuracy problems (7" groups until it got an apex barrel) and an old glock 17L i use to own wouldnt shoot better than 5".  I guess i did exaggerate some with the usually around 2" statement which is a very tall order but i have shot a few groups under 2" (luck or potential accurracy of the pistol?).  I also stated 5 shot groups which is better than 3 shot groups but you still sometimes get lucky vs. 10 shot groups.

I was surprised to find out that the gen 5 accuracy improvement was real vs. some of the other marketing items on the gen 5.  

I have every Gen except the 1st and most are 9mm.  My wife and I now each have Gen 5 34's and I could tell immediately the Gen 5 guns are more accurate.  I am very impressed with the Gen 5's!  I did not care so much for the Gen 4's.

I think Glocks are more accurate than they get credit for.

I can't see how the gen 5 is anymore accurate. From what I understand the only difference is standard rifling and supposedly improved trigger. Is standard rifling supposed to be more accurate than polygonal?  A better trigger will definitely help you shoot a gun more accurately but does that make it more accurate?  

Edited by B_RAD

58 minutes ago, B_RAD said:

I think Glocks are more accurate than they get credit for.

I can't see how the gen 5 is anymore accurate. From what I understand the only difference is standard rifling and supposedly improved trigger. Is standard rifling supposed to be more accurate than polygonal?  A better trigger will definitely help you shoot a gun more accurately but does that make it more accurate?  

They still have polygonal rifling.  Lockup, improved rifling and crown contribute to the increase in accuracy.  I guess the slightly improved trigger too.

Shoot one, you will see!

• 3 weeks later...

I had a G19.4 and it was the least accurate Glock I’ve owned. I recently Traded it for a G19.5 and it’s a laser. They both have polygonal rifling and I can’t visually see what is different but the accuracy improvement of the Gen 5’s speaks volumes.

Interesting thread-my shooting skills are not  a benchmark. I still think it boils down to the individual gun. I have a 17L that is scary accurate at 100 yards. A 22 that shoots less than 3" at 25 yards and an early Gen 4 17 that is the single most accurate Glock I have ever owned. Sample size over 50 guns since Gen 1. This is with a variety of loads, both factory and handloads. Iron sights and Leupold Delta Point.

• 3 weeks later...

I call BS on Gen 5s being more accurate than previous gens.  I'm a group-shooting junkie and have (5rds at 25 yd for pistol and 5rds at 100yds for rifle) tested every firearm I've ever owned for the last 20 years - with load development.  Don't ask me why - it's just one of my neurotic quirks.

The latest 3rd gen (like with 4-letter serial prefixes) and 4th gen Glocks (9mm, 10mm, and 45acp) will all shoot under 2" at 25 yards with Zero JHPs, a stiff charge of VV N340, and good bench technique.  The Gen 5 Glocks I've tested are indeed decently precise shooting, but not better than the aforementioned gen Glocks.  As a matter of fact, I've noticed that the breech lockup is looser on the Gen 5s than on the late Gen 3s and Gen 4s.  On every  Gen 5 Glock I've handled, you can push down on the barrel hood when in lockup, and it springs down.  The 3s and 4s I have don't yield as much and some not at all (almost as tight as when you fit a Barsto to it).

I agree.  First thing I felt on the Gen 5  was the lockup was sloppy.  Seems like they could make the lockup tighter than it is..

I know they think it's a combat pistol and the tolerances need to be loose, but I have had KKM drop in barrels that have Zero play,

I mean Super tight lockup and have never got any feeding issues.. 

I don’t think personal preference is going to prove whether one gen is more accurate than the other; Only after a ransom rest test would I say you could really say if it’s more or less accurate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Im not sure I understand the splitting of accuracy hairs with factory pistols. The inherent accuracy of each generation Glock hasn't really held it back over the years. A 1.5" group vs a 4.5" group at 50 yds or (insert your standard here) just wouldn't be a deal breaker one way or another when picking a factory gun. For me it falls under "good enough is good enough" 

8 hours ago, Pfiddy said:

Im not sure I understand the splitting of accuracy hairs with factory pistols. The inherent accuracy of each generation Glock hasn't really held it back over the years. A 1.5" group vs a 4.5" group at 50 yds or (insert your standard here) just wouldn't be a deal breaker one way or another when picking a factory gun. For me it falls under "good enough is good enough" 

I would prefer the Glock  pistol that is 3 times as accurate as the other Glock pistol..