Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Concussion Reduction Device (CRD) vs noise and recoil

2Xalpha

My brake is effective, but also quite noisy, and there's also the concussion. Of course I wear both plugs and muffs, but after a long day on the range I get a starting headache. 

Have anyone tried a CRD device on a .223 IPSC/3-Gun rifle? Does it increase the recoil notably, and do the reduced concussion make it more comfortable to shoot?

I've thought about getting a steel suppressor, which would help with both the noise and concussion, but I assume that would lead to huge mirage and insanely accelerated barrel wear near the crown..?

Thanks!

No, a CRD is something different. No sound suppression. It's more like a tube that goes around the flas hider/brake to direct the blast forward.

But I'm also interested in hearing your experiences using a suppressor. :D 

For some brakes (particularly the ones that serve as suppressor adapters) like the surefire they make a device that slips over the brake that looks like a suppressor but is open at the front and has no baffles.  It's supposed to allow you to make the brake less obnoxious (if you need to shoot inside or near other shooters)

https://www.surefire.com/warden.html

2 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Thought I read somewhere that suppressors are all the rage in Europe .   ??

Yes, we can buy them over the counter, no ID, no paperwork. The government appreciate them being good to our health. :) Very common on hunting and long range rifles, but those are usually made of aluminium which make them lighter, more affordable and suppress better. However, for IPSC use an aluminium suppressor would probably melt, so I'm considering a steel Ase Utra JET-Z CQB-BL http://www.aseutra.fi/jet-z-cqb-bl-and-jet-z-cqbs-bl-suppressor.html

A suppressor might sound like the obvious choice, but mirage and accelerated barrel wear are also part of the deal.. A CRD will will probably not have these problems since it runs cooler, and I assume it will increase recoil some, and reduce blast some.. But wondered if anyone have actual experience with it and how it performs.

2 hours ago, Matt1911 said:

Do you feel a lot of concussion while behind the rifle?

I've never felt it when I was on the trigger, only when I was the R.O.

Not much, but enough that it's irritating if I'm a whole day at the range. I may have a little sensitive sinuses, though.

I also RO on most of the rifle matches I attend, and have noticed a big difference when timing shooters with different comps. The new TE-Titan Salen comp is very kind on both the shooter and RO. The SJC Titan, which I have on my rifle and also is a very good comp, gives noticable more concussion. I think the worst comp concussion-wise (but also the most effective on recoil) is the JP tank compensator.

Edited by 2Xalpha

A suppressor is not as good at reducing recoil as a brake. As well as having a ton of weight hanging off the end of the gun.

Same for the concussion device. It is heavier and since it directs blast forward, it increases recoil over just the brake.

Yeah, ~560 g added for the CQB-BL (or ~470 g for the CQBS-BL) is quite a bit. Front heavy means a less maneuverable rifle,  but also more steady, so it's not the end of the world

What I assume is worse is that after an unknown number of rounds (maybe 5 or 6?) the heat and mirage will make one IPSC target at 300 meters look like 2 or 3 dancing ones.

Edited by 2Xalpha

• 5 weeks later...

What suppressor, at what range, and do you notice much mirage after how many rounds?

Someone at snipershide said that CRD's heat up like a can, so it will still give off mirage. The question is whether the difference is neglible. A shooter at the national Norwegian IPSC Rifle team even says that the muzzle brake gives off mirage.

https://forum.snipershide.com/threads/concussion-reduction-device-crd-vs-noise-and-recoil.6907039/

I can't find any reference for it, but the Wikipedia article on "muzzle shroud" claims that: "By encircling the muzzle, the shroud funnels and focuses the sound waves along the projectile flight axis, away from the shooter. This alone can partially protect the shooter from 12-18 dB of blast returning to the shooter's ears"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muzzle_shroud

Edited by 2Xalpha