Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm only reloading

Just watched a Youtube video of a 650 with a MBF. It is louder than I'd have thought it would be, but I don't think any louder than the case feeder. But the cycle time on the press was no faster than what I do with manually placing the bullet. I have an RCBS powder checker on my 650, so I don't have to worry about keeping an eye on that station.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 12/5/2018 at 5:34 AM, jejb said:

I guess that's true. But watching videos of it in action gives me a pretty good idea that it's little to no gain for me personally. Not running it down or anything. Just does not seem to make sense for me to add.

Having run the original 550 for 31 years, I thought I was fast. 6 months ago I finally bought the 1050 with bullet feeder. You simply can not overstate the ease and speed over setting a bullet by hand.

Also as stated before, the handle has fantastic leverage and no forward push to seat the primer like on the 550.

Once I had everything adjusted, I sat down and started pulling the handle. I was giggling like a crazy person. It was glorious!

Bullets simply poured out of the press. It still makes me happy every time I make bullets. Worth every penny.

I'll have to see what Christmas brings but I think an XL 650 might be in the works for me. Too many positive reviews for loading higher volume pistol ammo like I need/want. I may just have to start with the base machine and the strong mount and build it up slowly adding accessories later on. 

On 12/6/2018 at 2:32 PM, Stealsack said:

Having run the original 550 for 31 years, I thought I was fast. 6 months ago I finally bought the 1050 with bullet feeder. You simply can not overstate the ease and speed over setting a bullet by hand.

I was talking about a 650. I have no knowledge of a 550 or 1050, having never owned either. I'm sure the 1050 is quite a producer, though. Everyone that has one seems to love it. For the 650, I'm placing the bullet on the case as I'm seating the primer. No time lost in the cycle for how I'm running the press.

20 hours ago, 682SuperSport said:

I'll have to see what Christmas brings but I think an XL 650 might be in the works for me. Too many positive reviews for loading higher volume pistol ammo like I need/want. I may just have to start with the base machine and the strong mount and build it up slowly adding accessories later on. 

Good choice, IMO. And there are sure lots of things you can add. If you use different powder/loads a lot, I'd put some kind of micrometer powder bar adjuster high on the list. The UFO led light would be at the top of my list, too.

I started on a SDB thinking I was only going to load 9MM. Then I got a 40 S&W in a raffle. So bought the dies and everything to load that. Around that time a used 650 came available, and I have never looked back. Now I am setup to reload 4 calibers, one being a rifle caliber. It was the best decision in reloading I have made. 

8 hours ago, jhgtyre said:

I had to remove some posts that discussed buying and/or selling gear.  We do not do that outside of the classifieds for any reason.

Sorry Boss, I didn't think about it, was just trying to be helpful.

I bought a XL650 for a few reasons.

1. I value my time and I am young, recently married and soon to start a family. I want to be able to load a lot in less time so I can be with family.

2. My wife and I both shoot regularly and while factory ammo is cheap right now, it won’t be when the next election comes around.

3. I went with the 650 so I can change out parts to virtually any caliber I want, pistolor rifle.

• 1 month later...