Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm only reloading

12 minutes ago, 682SuperSport said:

I'm considering getting a Dillon press for Christmas but I'm torn as to what I want to get. I'm going back and forth between a SDB and a 550B. I shoot 9mm in competition as a production USPSA shooter but have been inconsistent with my shooting as I am in graduate school and finishing up in May. I plan on increasing my shooting to 500-750 rounds/month after May but I am unsure as to if I'll be changing or using multiple calibers soon. Is it worth the jump in price to the 550B and its versatility or does it make more sense to get the SDB since I know I'm likely to stick with 9mm for a while?

You won’t like this but get a 650.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Sarge said:

You won’t like this but get a 650.

I was afraid someone would tell me that. I would love to I just don't know if I could pony up the cash to do it at this point. I've been loading on a single stage for 2 years now and I'm just tired of the time it takes to get the ammo to shoot a match or practice. Should I be forgetting about a SDB then?

1 hour ago, 682SuperSport said:

I was afraid someone would tell me that. I would love to I just don't know if I could pony up the cash to do it at this point. I've been loading on a single stage for 2 years now and I'm just tired of the time it takes to get the ammo to shoot a match or practice. Should I be forgetting about a SDB then?

I was in the same boat. Always loading for next weekends match on My turret. I got a 650 and glad I did.  An hour or two a week, for my daughter and i, for PCC and another hour if I'm shooting pistol also in steel match.  Get the most you can swing, you'll be glad you did.  550 min I would say.

I ran a SDB for 4 years. Loved it. Simple design and it is a great first press. I never plan to load for rifle. The workspace is smaller in the press (small shell plate), but if I could have put a case feeder on it I'd still be using it! That said, I could pump out 300 high quality rounds an hour on the SDB, so it's nothing to scoff at. 

I just upgraded to a 650 with case feeder exactly a month ago. It was $1400 to get all the upgrades for the two calibers I load. It is a more complex machine with more attention needed on presorting brass. The primer assembly design is a drawback in my view. It can create a boatload of ammo, I think I'm over 4K rounds loaded this month. I was saving up intending to get familiar with the machine in the 30 day "try it or return it" window. 

I'm keeping the 650 but in hindsight I don't think I needed it.

This question or some variation on the theme comes up on a regular basis. 

I seldom hear anybody say "I bought way too much of a press. I wish I had picked up something with less capability."

Don’t forget resale value. If you buy a press and some components and then decide hand loading isn’t your thing, you can recoup the majority of your investment.

Seriously, if you think you might want to hand load just do it. If you do, I guarantee that 5000 rounds you estimate you need each year will more than double.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Funny how that happens [emoji16] don't buy a press to save money, you just end up shooting more...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, Andyk said:

I was in the same boat. Always loading for next weekends match on My turret. I got a 650 and glad I did.  An hour or two a week, for my daughter and i, for PCC and another hour if I'm shooting pistol also in steel match.  Get the most you can swing, you'll be glad you did.  550 min I would say.

I think I'll be pinching my pennies then and seeing what I can save up for/justify. 

10 hours ago, 682SuperSport said:

SDB only uses proprietary Dillon dies so you can forget about things like Undersized dies to correct set back or micrometer seating dies for ease of adjustment. Also no options for casefeeder or bullet feeder down the road. 

BUT it’s fully progressive.

550 is not a progressive press. You have to turn the plate by hand. Casefeeder was designed as an afterthought and doesn’t always get the job done. Limited stations for adding bullet feeder

When I bought my 550 somebody on here bet me I would sell it and get a 650 within 6 months. They were almost right. I think I waited a year or so. 😂

If he’s only going to shoot 9mm and only a few hundred per month, the SDB May be just right. It’s a lot less $ than a fully loaded 650.

I’ve been loading on a 550b for ~10 years. I knew I wanted to do rifle in addition to 9mm and .45, so the SDB wasn’t an option, and being brand new to reloading, I didn’t want the added complexity, cost, or noise of a 650 & case feeder.

9 minutes ago, 682SuperSport said:

I'll be weighing the pros and cons of each but I'm leaning towards the 550 due to cost constraints and the fact that I don't plan on shooting >1,000 rounds a month. I also like the ease of use and maintenance on the 550 from what I've read.

When I was considering moving to the 650 from my 550 I talked to Brian Enos since he had a Dillon store then. I was contemplating adding the case feeder and he said the beauty of the 550 is it's simplicity and versatility. Basically, the best way to use it is as it comes from the factory. Someday if you want to ramp up Production you can sell it for most of what you paid for it. As long as you are sure you don't want to add a bunch of go fast parts like case feeder or bullet feeder then the 550 will serve you very well.

12 minutes ago, Sarge said:

When I was considering moving to the 650 from my 550 I talked to Brian Enos since he had a Dillon store then. I was contemplating adding the case feeder and he said the beauty of the 550 is it's simplicity and versatility. Basically, the best way to use it is as it comes from the factory. Someday if you want to ramp up Production you can sell it for most of what you paid for it. As long as you are sure you don't want to add a bunch of go fast parts like case feeder or bullet feeder then the 550 will serve you very well.

I thinks that's where I'm at, I can appreciate the simplicity and versatility of the 550 as well as the rounds/hour production that I will get out of it, which I understand is more limited than a fully loaded 650. I appreciate the guidance, helped to confirm what I was leaning towards. Still going to keep my RCBS rock chucker handy for load testing and such but need to ramp up the speed just a bit.

The time to buy a  reloading system is NOW when  reloading supplies are affordable and easy to get.....Yes factory ammo is cheap right now but if you start shooting more and factory ammo pricing start going up and another ammo scare hits, and we all know it will, you will pay a premium for factory ammo and a  reloading system and the components needed to support your itch.....

I am not a wealthy person by any means but I have bought a couple of cases of factory  ammo in the past 6 months but more so I have started loading up on my reloading supplies so when the next scare hits I can continue to shoot my 500-1000 rounds a month....

My vote - Buy a reloading set up NOW even if you leave it in the box....Mark

Join the Dillon reloaded group on FB.  There are often used presses and parts for sale.  No matter how rough you can send it back to Dillon and it will come back in new condition for like 35 bucks.

Edited by Andyk

Some years ago, I was loading on an SDB.  Two of them, actually, large and small primer.  It was fine for 9mm but lacked leverage for .45; and I was then shooting more .45s.

So I splurged on a S1050 for .45.  It is a great machine, once I got the @#$%^& primer feed adjusted right.

Then I got a Deal on a 550, so I sold my SDBs.

It is more versatile, easier to change calibers on, so I can load 9mm, .38 Spl, and even small primer .45 with little fuss.

But at my volume, I do not consider it an improvement over the SDB for 9mm only. 

I am now shooting more 9mm than .45 and have considered converting the 1050, except that my arthritic knees make it easier to load sitting than standing. 

Caveat:  I am not one of those dedicated shooters who needs a rough tumbler, a fine tumbler, a de-lubing tumbler, a prep press, a loading press, and a primer tube filler. 

I got tired of the noise from the 650 bullet feeder.

Got tired of the primer feed dumping primers out if the case feeder didn't feed correctly.

AND

I used a 550 since before they went to 550B LOL. So I think 25+ years.

A lot of it for me was I was very used to the 550.  When the 650 worked IT cranked lots of nice ammo out, NO doubt!

BUT loading 450-500 an hour at a nice smooth pace gives me the ammo I need for the week.

I enjoy the time by myself quietly pumping out good ammo on my quiet 550.

Plus my arm gets tired after 4-500 rounds.

I'm a 550 guy no doubt 

If I'm going to put up with the noise I'm going full auto!  1050 with case and bullet feeder with an autodrive, hum maybe when I retire!!!

FWIW

32 minutes ago, jcc7x7 said:

Got tired of the primer feed dumping primers out if the case feeder didn't feed correctly.

AND

I used a 550 since before they went to 550B LOL. So I think 25+ years.

A lot of it for me was I was very used to the 550.  When the 650 worked IT cranked lots of nice ammo out, NO doubt!

BUT loading 450-500 an hour at a nice smooth pace gives me the ammo I need for the week.

I enjoy the time by myself quietly pumping out good ammo on my quiet 550.

Plus my arm gets tired after 4-500 rounds.

I'm a 550 guy no doubt 

If I'm going to put up with the noise I'm going full auto!  1050 with case and bullet feeder with an autodrive, hum maybe when I retire!!!

FWIW

I don't mind the noise at all, worth the work it does.  I just turn the radio up.  Agree about arm getting tired. Especially 9mm with its taper.  Straight wall is so much easier to size.

Edited by Andyk

18 hours ago, jcc7x7 said:

I've not had a press with the bullet feeder. But I upgraded to the 650 from a progressive RCBS to get the case feeder. Is the bullet feeder louder than the case feeder? Not that I ever see me going to a bullet feeder. Putting the bullet on the case manually just does not slow my loading down, so I can't see making that investment.

At first, I really disliked the primer feed on the 650. And I still don't love it, but I have come to peace with it. I bought one of those Primer Stop Switch off ebay, so I can shut it off when needed. I also keep a few de-primed/sized cases on the side of the bench to insert into the priming station when something goes wrong on the shell casing drop, like a 380 case mixed in or something. I very rarely have a primer fall into the live primer catch tray anymore.

2 minutes ago, jejb said:

I've not had a press with the bullet feeder. But I upgraded to the 650 from a progressive RCBS to get the case feeder. Is the bullet feeder louder than the case feeder? Not that I ever see me going to a bullet feeder. Putting the bullet on the case manually just does not slow my loading down, so I can't see making that investment.

MBF is definitely more quiet than CF. I think you would be amazed at how much faster it is to reload with a   bullet feeder

15 minutes ago, Sarge said:

MBF is definitely more quiet than CF. I think you would be amazed at how much faster it is to reload with a   bullet feeder

On a 1050 that already had a case feeder it seems like twice as fast with the mbf but I haven't timed it to know for sure.

Besides the speed, I like it that I can just stay in one fixed position (except for my right arm) and keep focused on just watching the powder level and pulling the handle smooth and consistent. With the bevel set right I also do a better job of not shaving any coating from setting a bullet crooked. Last thing, I have my left hand on the case feeder assembly now & this stabilizes it and I can't remember the last time I've had a case drop upside down. 

This is just with 9mm, no experience otherwise. 

23 hours ago, Sarge said:

I think you would be amazed at how much faster it is to reload with a   bullet feeder

I just don't see how. I don't hesitate at the top of the stroke to put a bullet on the case. The bullet is ready to go in my left hand while the press is cycling. Very hard to see how my process is slowed down by the lack of a bullet feeder.

But I was mostly surprised to read jcc7x7 says the bullet feeder is so loud. I'd think it would be, as you confirmed, quieter than the case feeder.

Edited by jejb