Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Digging deeper into M&P9 Pro

Bench

16 minutes ago, StealthyBlagga said:

The problem is with all bullet weights - I even have to load my 115gr Blue Bullets short to get them to fit in the chamber. It has not been a problem since changing length.

So what OAL did you have to shorten up to?

50 minutes ago, Bench said:

So what OAL did you have to shorten up to?

It depends on the bullet profile. I just kept shortening until it passed the "plunk" test in the barrel, then I adjusted powder charge for desired PF and tested for accuracy and reliability. The great thing about the M&P is that it feeds just about anything :)

Edited by StealthyBlagga

2 hours ago, StealthyBlagga said:

It depends on the bullet profile. I just kept shortening until it passed the "plunk" test in the barrel, then I adjusted powder charge for desired PF and tested for accuracy and reliability. The great thing about the M&P is that it feeds just about anything :)

So far this one feeds just about everything even the 124 x .358's coated that don't plunk well. I slugged the barrel at .356 and my guess is the chamber might be the issue and a bit of reaming might solve that. 124x.355 FMJ  plunks just fine but I'd rather shoot coated ?.

Edited by Bench

Factory or APEX, the barrel on an M&P needs reamed if you want to load longer ammo with coated bullets.

I still have my hardened carbide reamer (an M&P barrel will strip the flutes right off a Brownells HSS reamer) and use it from time to time. All of my Walthers will take fat round nose 147s out past 1.160” now.

@Bench if you want your chamber lengthend at some point, drop me a note via PM.

;)