Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Taylor Goliath +20 Glock Magazine Extension

4 hours ago, Acer2428 said:

Looked like someone was using one at optics Nats. Appeared unfinished like the prototypes. Only saw one run of his, but seemed to work fine. 

Josh Froelich used one at the Nationals...  It was indeed a pre-production aluminum one...  He was nice enough to show it to me and a friend...  Finished second to Max in PCC.

On 10/28/2018 at 12:02 PM, zzw26n said:

pictures ... any pictures?

Took mine to the range today, ran great. Assembly was pretty simple and cleaning is a breeze with the spring pin base plate. Be careful though. I wanted to test sliding off the base to clean it and in the process of putting it back together managed to launch my spring across the bay. One thing you should be aware of is that Robin recommends your ammo be around 1.125 OAL. Heavier bullets with longer lengths will hang up in the extension. Most guys that I know who are running PCC use 115’s so it’s not much of an issue. I loaded my 125 blue bullets at 1.140 OAL and they ran fine.

7 hours ago, IHMSA15151 said:

Yes to both! Took all of 5 minutes tops to put together.

Was that a mag that had previously had another extension on it?  I'm assuming these will also require trimming excess flashing and possibly the follower, similar to the MBX extensions.

20 hours ago, IHMSA15151 said:

Took mine to the range today, ran great. Assembly was pretty simple and cleaning is a breeze with the spring pin base plate. Be careful though. I wanted to test sliding off the base to clean it and in the process of putting it back together managed to launch my spring across the bay. One thing you should be aware of is that Robin recommends your ammo be around 1.125 OAL. Heavier bullets with longer lengths will hang up in the extension. Most guys that I know who are running PCC use 115’s so it’s not much of an issue. I loaded my 125 blue bullets at 1.140 OAL and they ran fine.

That's something I haven't read before... 

I load to 1.135 and haven't had trouble with his earlier 10+1 base plates or MBX Minis...  I'd be surprised if these new TF baseplates required shorter rounds than a standard Glock magazine.

1 hour ago, JAFO said:

Was that a mag that had previously had another extension on it?  I'm assuming these will also require trimming excess flashing and possibly the follower, similar to the MBX extensions.

Nope, just a standard 31 rd. Glock mag. No trimming needed, you do need to press the sides in considerably to slide it on the extension but TF has a video that shows everything.

19 minutes ago, RaylanGivens said:

That's something I haven't read before... 

I load to 1.135 and haven't had trouble with his earlier 10+1 base plates or MBX Minis...  I'd be surprised if these new TF baseplates required shorter rounds than a standard Glock magazine.

Robin said that because of the wall thickness of the 20 rd. extension he recommends the OAL. I have gone longer with no issues. I did more range time today with some issues and info, so read below.

So, spent a lot more time at the range today playing with the Goliath. One issue I had was that with rounds loaded in the 1.125-1.300 range I was having some jams with a fully loaded mag. Not sure if it's the tolerances of the plastic Glock mag or the fact that I running them in a PSA lower or tolerance issues between the two. There is a lot of pressure on the mag catch with a fully sprung Goliath and my mag literally can move in and out about .03-.04 while locked in the lower. That with the short OAL was causing the round nose bullets to jam on the edge where the barrel is tapered to act as a feed ramp. Not sure if all barrels are cut the same and it may just be an issue with this style of barrel. I increased the OAL a bit to 1.150. The rounds still fit in the extension but I still experienced a few jamming of the nose into the edge, just not as often as before. I tried the same OAL rounds with about 25 rds. in the mag and had no issues. This leads me to believe that the spring pressure of the fully loaded mag is just forcing my mag down and with the tolerances it's sitting to low in the receiver to function reliably. I am going to find the maximum OAL that will fit in the extension and then try it again tomorrow. I need to look also, or get some input from others as to the configuration of the "feed ramp" area of different companies barrels. I am thinking maybe a slight modification of my barrel to remove the sharp edge a bit might help also.

Bullet.JPG

Just assembled 2 goliath mags. They load to 51rnds with my 1.13" reloads just fine. They insert with the gun in bolt lock, I wasnt able to insert the mag in the gun with bolt closed. Manually cycled a few rounds in the JP.

Will run it in competition tomorrow and report back.

1 hour ago, Smithcity said:

Just assembled 2 goliath mags. They load to 51rnds with my 1.13" reloads just fine. They insert with the gun in bolt lock, I wasnt able to insert the mag in the gun with bolt closed. Manually cycled a few rounds in the JP.

Will run it in competition tomorrow and report back.

Does your PCC have a ramped barrel? A buddy has a Goliath and has had zero issues. He's running a Tacom ramped barrel. I think my issues might be the PSA barrel that just has a full diameter chamfer as a feed ramp. I'm doing some more testing this week.

6 hours ago, IHMSA15151 said:

Does your PCC have a ramped barrel? A buddy has a Goliath and has had zero issues. He's running a Tacom ramped barrel. I think my issues might be the PSA barrel that just has a full diameter chamfer as a feed ramp. I'm doing some more testing this week.

The JP gmr-15 has a full diameter chamfer as well. Reliable feeding with blow back AR-9's seem to be a well tuned combination of feed chamfer / feed ramp married with magazine presentation angle and depth. 

One of my AR9 builds only works with glock mags and round nose bullets. So far my JP has worked with everything.

Used two goliath mags in competition tonight. Ran them both completely full (51rnds). Had 0 malfunctions, everything cycled and fed flawless. Even shot a 100.5% on nueve el pres. 

Limited data point, nevertheless, ran great in the JP.

Edited by Smithcity