Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Does anyone use variable springs?

RustedFrog

I am currently building an open gun and when I was going through my dads parts the other day picking out my springs I just picked out the 11lbs conventional spring to start with that is the same as I have been running in the open gun i have been shooting for the last several years. But I started to pick up the 11lbs variable spring when he told me that no one really uses variable springs anymore. Is that true? and if so then why? I do not know the difference between the two types. 

2 hours ago, RustedFrog said:

I am currently building an open gun and when I was going through my dads parts the other day picking out my springs I just picked out the 11lbs conventional spring to start with that is the same as I have been running in the open gun i have been shooting for the last several years. But I started to pick up the 11lbs variable spring when he told me that no one really uses variable springs anymore. Is that true? and if so then why? I do not know the difference between the two types. 

11 pounds in an Open gun? I run Wolff 8 pound variable springs in my Open guns because that’s what my builder Cheely Custom Gunworks ships them with.

When we ordered the springco kit it came with a green painted spring that is 8lbs for minor and a red painted spring that is 11lbs for major. So that is what I have run in it. I had gone down for a little while but it just did not seem to be as reliable when shooting major as it was with the 11lbs spring. 

14 minutes ago, RustedFrog said:

When we ordered the springco kit it came with a green painted spring that is 8lbs for minor and a red painted spring that is 11lbs for major. So that is what I have run in it. I had gone down for a little while but it just did not seem to be as reliable when shooting major as it was with the 11lbs spring. 

Yeah probably closing a little harder than it needs to. I have ran 7# but the gun has to be kept spotless to run 100%. 8# is great even when dirty. Minor guns generally run 6-7 pounders.

You should revisit at least a 9# and see if it improves controlled pair spacing

I will look into that. I am about the slowest shooter you will ever meet. Even on close open targets my time is terrible. I just cannot see the dot there for my second shot very fast. Which is a big reason why I am building my own open gun. I have been shooting for your years that my dad built for my brother. It has a slide mounted sight and some other stuff I do not care for. I am finally building one my way and cannot wait to get to shoot it. Unfortunately I do not know when that will be. Just had to send my dot off to leupold. Shooting an old Delta Point and it started going through batteries like crazy. 

• 2 weeks later...

I started using variables way back and just keep using them out of habit.  When I started using them it seemed that the guns ran a little smoother.  Best way to tell for yourself is to try one of each and see which works, and feels, best for you.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Speaking of springs, I'm looking to perform some testing over the winter break and wanted to see who has the best pricing on springs, considering shipping also.

I typically see recoil springs priced at $6-8, however with shipping at $10-15 I'd need to buy quite a few springs to make the purchase seem worth while.

24 minutes ago, muncie21 said:

Speaking of springs, I'm looking to perform some testing over the winter break and wanted to see who has the best pricing on springs, considering shipping also.

I typically see recoil springs priced at $6-8, however with shipping at $10-15 I'd need to buy quite a few springs to make the purchase seem worth while.

For pure testing I think Shooters Connection still sells their own brand? They don’t seem to last as long but they are cheap so you can buy 2-3 weights to test. Then buy the top shelf Wolff variable from them as well.

6 minutes ago, Sarge said:

For pure testing I think Shooters Connection still sells their own brand? They don’t seem to last as long but they are cheap so you can buy 2-3 weights to test. Then buy the top shelf Wolff variable from them as well.

Thanks Sarge, I wasn't aware of that and will add SC springs to my shopping list.

15 minutes ago, muncie21 said:

Thanks Sarge, I wasn't aware of that and will add SC springs to my shopping list.

Well I just checked and they are no longer listed. Sorry about that. 

Pretty sure I still have some that were just used for testing as well. I THINK I have 7,8, and 9#. I can send them to you if I can find them.

• 4 weeks later...

Wolff sells a few springs in a pack as a test package so you can save a little. I personally can't tell much difference between two weights that's close, for example like 13lbs and 14lbs. I do tell a difference between variable and conventional springs but not sure which one I prefer.

On ‎1‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 9:39 PM, muncie21 said:

Brazos/1911 Store sells springs cheaper if you buy more than 3 (think there 6 each)

They aren't listed with a name but every time I've bought them , they have been Wolff springs

• 11 months later...