Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New shooter - Need advice on gun

jdavid1

19 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

How far did "Major" get you ?

(Sorry for two duplicates, below).

Made M a couple months after the switch, It had much more to do with practicing considerably more than I had been in the past. Practicing with someone that I have to chase helps a lot too. 

I like the idea of .40 caliber. Shoot Minor to begin with, then make the switch to Major when you feel you're ready.

One of the very best guns to do that with is the Tanfoglio Elite Limited. Smooth as silk. Crazy accurate. All you'll have to do is change out a couple of springs.

• 2 weeks later...
Hey guys. I am a new shooter from South Louisiana. I've been lurking on here for a while now and thought I would introduce myself as well as get some advice from the board. So I have just shot two USPSA matches so far and I am officially hooked. I started in Limited minor with just a basic belt and my Glock 17. I have already ordered an AA belt, holster, and mag pouches so now I just need the right pistola. I plan to shoot limited until I make at least a B class. 

So after my two matches and looking around it seems like 2011 is the top dog in this game, and that's what I have my eye on. I have pretty much decided on an STI since I have a local dealer in town. The dilemma I am facing is going to be minor/major. All the STI limiteds/edges they have in stock are all 9mm, and they say nobody is buying the 40s. I find this hard to believe since most people in limited shoot major. But it does bring up a good point about using the same gun across several matches (3gun, steel challenge). I am already set up to reload 9 but would have to start from scratch for 40. I have thousands of empty 9 cases and not a single 40. To be honest I don't think I have ever even shot a 40.

So should I just do what seems like all the top shooters do and go .40 or just stay with the 9? 

Most people are buying the 9 edge because there are a lot of three gunners. If you’re going to be shooting USPSA Limited then you want the 40. Since you’re still new to the sport, I don’t think there would be anything wrong with shooting your 17 for a season. I’m also a believer of new shooters shooting low cap divisions and you have the right gun for production. It really helps you get better at breaking down stages and will make you a better shooter in the long run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

several guys that I shoot with are shooting 9 major.  if you want to shoot major, and for what it's worth i think you should and you are set up to reload 9, just go 9 major.  I shoot an Akai open gun  in 38 super comp and love it.  those guns just run.  watch some of the Akai videos on YouTube, Shey does a great job of explaining why they build them the way they do.  you could get a limited gun in 9 major and load down for steel, 3 gun or whatever.  i have 3 STI's, so i like STI, but Akai is on another level.  the cost is not a lot different and you can get exactly what you what built in 4-6 months.  The Atlas guns and great as well from what i hear.

shooting minor in limited is fine for two types of people: 

- People who are just getting their feet wet in the sport and already owned a 9mm (and maybe had a magwell on it or something that kept them from shooting production)

- People who primarily shoot 3 gun and do not care about being serious in USPSA, they just want some extra practice for their main event and USPSA fills that gap for them

If you want to get serious about shooting Limited you'll need to be shooting Major. I can't speak for the CZ world, but I love my 2011. I highly recommend either getting a gun with a steel grip, or adding a steel grip to your 2011 if it didn't come with one. Steel grips change up the entire game when it comes to 2011's, I won't ever own another 2011 with a plastic grip. 

Good luck, you will be able to find many good deals on Limited guns here on the forum classifieds.

On ‎10‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 3:23 PM, nitrohuck said:

Steel grips change up the entire game when it comes to 2011's, I won't ever own another 2011 with a plastic grip. 

I'm not trying to hijack this thread but I was wondering why you feel steel grips make such a difference. The reason I'm asking is I'm currently trying to find an aluminum grip I like but the only reason I want to go with aluminum is because I always thought plastic seemed cheap. I never noticed a performance difference with the guns that I shot with a steel grip.What advantage are you gaining with your steel grip and what grip are you using?

On ‎10‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 3:23 PM, nitrohuck said:

People who primarily shoot 3 gun and do not care about being serious in USPSA, they just want some extra practice for their main event and USPSA fills that gap for them

This statement hit the nail square on the head. USPSA is just a fill in for 3 gun for a lot of people I know, including me.

7 hours ago, blacklab said:

I'm not trying to hijack this thread but I was wondering why you feel steel grips make such a difference. The reason I'm asking is I'm currently trying to find an aluminum grip I like but the only reason I want to go with aluminum is because I always thought plastic seemed cheap. I never noticed a performance difference with the guns that I shot with a steel grip.What advantage are you gaining with your steel grip and what grip are you using?

This statement hit the nail square on the head. USPSA is just a fill in for 3 gun for a lot of people I know, including me.

Recoil impulse and management changed drastically for me. When you have a steel grip (and in my case steel mag well) the weight distribution of the gun is entirely different than when you have a  plastic grip. No longer is the majority of the gun’s weight sitting on top of your hands, adding to the pendulum effect of the guns recoil and the slide reciprocation. 

With a a steel grip the gun’s center of gravity is now much lower, and you have the weight sitting squarely within in your hands. Balance and impulse effect are much better managed. 

Think of those photos of guys who ride a unicycle on highwires between cliffs. They have those huge weights that hang below the line they are riding on and it balances them out and keeps them steady and less likely to erratically tip or shift weight. Same sort of idea w a steel grip and magwell, ideally minus the whole “1,000ft fall to your death” consequence  

• 1 month later...

Personally, if you are planning to shoot Limited in USPSA, and your priority is to be as competitive as possible, then you have to shoot Limited major.  Forget all of the other details.  If you want to shoot 9mm (minor), or money is an issue (which is completely understandable), then stick with Production and save the money.  Shooting Limited minor is like boxing with one hand.  You are automatically giving up points before you even start the match.  Plus Do Not spend a fortune on 9mm (minor) STI!!  That is a complete waste of money, if your sole purpose for the gun is to shoot USPSA.  Also, you should plan to have two of the same guns...if you plan to travel and compete seriously.  Listen to what I am telling you.  I went to Nationals this year and blew out a bushing and barrel, in my practice gun (during practice).  That trip would have been ruined without having my match gun.

• 2 weeks later...

Perttime, this is a late comment/question...

You are quite right about no 9mm major in Limited. In a world of custom 2011, why is there no 9mm major in Limited?  I get it for factory manufactured guns (e.g. 40 cal), but why wouldn't USPSA allow 9mm major, as custom guns theoretically could be built.  I'm not sure of the power factor or recoil on a non ported gun.  Any thoughts?

6 minutes ago, JL175 said:

but why wouldn't USPSA allow 9mm major, as custom guns theoretically could be built. 

Really not theoretical …  a standard 2011 could easily handle 9mm Major (and they do).

I've never tried it, but I would imagine it would be faster to fire 10 aimed shots from a

.40 or .45 Major than from a 9mm Major, due to the recoil impulse - but I'm not really positive

about that.

Anybody fire a 9mm Major without a comp ?  I would imagine that would be a handful.