Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New shooter - Need advice on gun

jdavid1

Hey guys. I am a new shooter from South Louisiana. I've been lurking on here for a while now and thought I would introduce myself as well as get some advice from the board. So I have just shot two USPSA matches so far and I am officially hooked. I started in Limited minor with just a basic belt and my Glock 17. I have already ordered an AA belt, holster, and mag pouches so now I just need the right pistola. I plan to shoot limited until I make at least a B class. 

So after my two matches and looking around it seems like 2011 is the top dog in this game, and that's what I have my eye on. I have pretty much decided on an STI since I have a local dealer in town. The dilemma I am facing is going to be minor/major. All the STI limiteds/edges they have in stock are all 9mm, and they say nobody is buying the 40s. I find this hard to believe since most people in limited shoot major. But it does bring up a good point about using the same gun across several matches (3gun, steel challenge). I am already set up to reload 9 but would have to start from scratch for 40. I have thousands of empty 9 cases and not a single 40. To be honest I don't think I have ever even shot a 40.

So should I just do what seems like all the top shooters do and go .40 or just stay with the 9? 

Welcome,  You'll regret not going with the 40 if your going to be shooting limited for sure.  You can always load 40 to minor PF for shooting 3-gun or steel matches.  Shooting 40 minor actually feels as good or better than shooting 9mm at minor PF.  What matches have you shot so far?  I live just South of New Orleans and have been at this close to two years now.  Like you I started with a Glock and moved to a STI DVC Limited within 6 months of starting out.  I shot that gun for another 6-8 months before getting bit by the open gun bug... I haven't shot limited in uspsa since.  I still have my DVC limited 40 and have been tossing around the idea of selling it here lately.  Hope this helps. 

Thanks for the input. I didn't think about loading minor PF 40 for 3gun/steel. That makes a lot more sense. I shot the last two matches at Tangi, and will be shooting again this Sunday. I would definitely be interested in the gun. I'll PM you about that. 

I would also recommend going Major PF (.40) if you decide to get a 2011.

BUT...

After two matches, it might be prudent to shoot a few more with your Glock before dropping that much cash, unless of course you are independently wealthy, and in that case, buy me another one too!!!

If you do decide to buy a 2011, see if you can find a used one at a good price. They tend to hold their value, and if you buy a used gun, chances are good that you could shoot it for a couple of years and sell it for about the same amount that you bought it for in the first place.

Best of luck with whatever you decide.

Is the new belt gear for Glock or 2011?

Don't rush to the next gun. Shoot your Glock some more. Handle other guns when you have the chance. Shoot some other guns if you can. 2011 is what most go for in Limited - but there are those who actually prefer Tanfoglio and CZ pistols. Something like a CZ TS or TSO would be high on my list for a Limited gun.

Edited by perttime

2 hours ago, Doublehelix said:

After two matches, it might be prudent to shoot a few more with your Glock before dropping that much cash, unless of course you are independently wealthy, and in that case, buy me another one too!!!

I understand I am rushing into a new gun, but my 17  is just not what I want to be shooting in these types of matches. Even if I didn't go get a 2011 I would still be getting another gun like a G35 or CZ. So if I'm going to spend money I want to be going in the right direction, and from what I see the 2011 is the way to go. I'm not rich, but I do believe in the ole "buy once cry once".

And thanks to Pirate I believe I found a good deal on a used DVC Limited. 

Since the DVC is used, I'd try to get the seller to let you shoot it.

It's a big difference from your Glock.

You may, or may not, like it.

Iff you're very serious about "buy once" theory, I'd pass the DVC up and hold out for a .40.

BUT, after only two matches, I have to go with doublehelix and perttime above - I'd stay with your Glock

for the rest of the season, and give it some more time to try out other options.

Sounds like you're rushing off, needlessly, to a gun you've never fired in the wrong caliber just 

because "big dogs use STI's" and this gun is local and inexpensive.

Slow it down and enjoy ….   :) 

I started shooting in limited a few months ago. I swapped some guns for a CZ Tactical Sport in 9mm. I just purchased a complete .40 Slide Assembly to switch to major a little later. Looked at STI but am going to hold off on that for a while due to cost.

14 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Iff you're very serious about "buy once" theory, I'd pass the DVC up and hold out for a .40.

Slow it down and enjoy ….   :) 

The DVC is a 40.

And yes, I probably do need to slow down. I have a bad habit of finding a hobby and going all in (or so I'm told by my wife). I know I need something different than my G17, and if I don't like the DVC I can always sell it.

49 minutes ago, jdavid1 said:

The DVC is a 40.

if I don't like the DVC I can always sell it.

This right here.  Get what you want.  If limited is a larger division in your area, then you will probably like it there, it  is a fun division.  If you decide USPSA is not for you, you can always sell it, even if you take a loss, just think of it like renting

3 hours ago, jdavid1 said:

I have a bad habit of finding a hobby and going all in

I do the same thing. It usually works out in my favor though. I would have to say go all in with the STI. If you don't like the gun your shooting now its almost imposable to do well with it. If you have your mind set that your gun is holding you back, it will no matter what kind of gun it is. So get the STI practice with it and like you said, if you don't like it you can sell it. But if you do like it 2011 parts are a dime a dozen (kind of like Glocks) so you can fine tune it to your liking and make it a perfect match for you (change saftey, slid stop, undercut/stipple grip, straight or curved trigger so on and so on) . Some of the other platforms mentioned may be a little harder to tweak to your liking simply because parts may be a little harder to come by then 2011 parts

my two cents...

If you want to be competitive in USPSA limited, go major, period

If you just want to have fun in USPSA and have a gun that will work for other games like 3 gun and Steel Challenge, go minor and save some $.  

6 hours ago, Kilrb said:

Look at CZ lot less cash and they run well and lots of aftermarket available. ...

That is one thing. For me, CZ grips fit my hands better than any 2011 grip that I've had my hand on. The TS that I shot a little was especially good.

I started practicing with the local USPSA last winter with a Sig 226, no belt, holster or mag pouches. I soon when out and bought a used STI DVC Limited. Got a great deal as the owner was using it as a carry gun and soon found out it was a tad big! I did handle and shoot one prior to buying it so I knew I would like it. Once we moved outdoors in the spring I realized my eye were useless at anything outside 20 feet! I simply could not hit anything accurately. At that point I considered putting an optic on the DVC but everyone I talked to said "Go Open". So, I started looking and within a few weeks I found a 2011 open gun in 9mm here. Again I got lucky, as this time the owner was getting out of the sport and only have around 1000 rounds through it. I make an offer and we meet in the middle! I sold the STI locally, keep the mags and still made money on the deal. I shot the Open gun all summer but unfortunately my schedule is beyond crazy so I still have to make a match. However, I absolutely love the 2011 platform (not that I can hit what I'm aiming at) and worked up a major load. The recoil is very manageable (even for a little guy like me < 165 lb typically). In the middle I picked up a belt, holster and mag pouches. All were used with the exception of the pouches. IMO running and shooting is a blast (as I shot bullseye for years), and shooting Open Major is icing on the cake. Good luck in whatever you decide to do.   

If you are competitive by nature, 40 is the way to go especially if you plan on shooting more uspsa matches than anything else.I faced the same dilemma earlier this year.  I bought a DVC 9mm because my main focus was 3 gun and roughly 2 months later I bought a Cheely 40.  I spent several dollars on belt gear and reloading components and couldn’t be happier with the outcome.   The dvc sits in the safe and eventually I will sell it.

On 10/10/2018 at 11:56 AM, perttime said:

Don't rush to the next gun. Shoot your Glock some more. Handle other guns when you have the chance.

This would be my advice as well.  You can easily make it to B class with a G17.

I think its possible to make B class shooting minor in Limited division  but I wouldnt say easily & certainly not easy to make GM. 

If you shoot a 125rd match & youre willing to accept 1 point less for each C & 1 less for each D, there are only 2 ways to keep up with major pf.... you either shoot at least 95% or more A & youre fast or youre blindingly GM fast & shoot maybe 80% A.  Only matches you can really have a decent chance of keeping up are matches with lots of steel.  Steel is either A or Miss... you still better be fast 

Look at major match results in Limited division.  Do you see any minor pf winners?  Very very rare.  If minor was truly competitive, why wouldnt big dogs shoot minor?  

Most of more serious shooters will pay good money for a 140mm mag that will hold 1 extra round & function reliably. If minor pf wasnt a hard obstacle to overcome, we would all be shooting 9mm & have 2 or 3 more rounds in our mags ....

However a glock 35 can take you there much cheaper than 2011 platform.  I shot g35 for 14 years before going to 2011.  I did it then because I wanted a change.  In all those years, shooting 2 or 3 matches a month, I only had a handful of ammo issues & 1 broken trigger spring.  I didnt try to make the glock into a 2011.  It has mostly factory parts with light mods.  Too much fancy crap & your gun may become less reliable.

Anyway if you want an sti, buy 1 but buy a .40 in my opinion.  If you want something else, buy it.  Just remember its gotta fit you, its gotta be reliable & accurate, & youve gotta be confident in the gun you shoot.