Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Yes, another 38 Short/Med/Long topic

KrakenFan69

I'm using a 38 Special conversion for my Dillon XL650.   I use a 10mm adapter on the casefeeder.   I decap before tumbling.   38 Special Sizing die.   9mm flare in the powder drop station as the 38 Special is too short for the brass I'm running at 0.900" or 38 Mid Colt if you will.   38 Special seating die.   38 Special Lee Factory Crimp die with a .40 Cal crimp  ring installed above the 38 Special one to keep it from pushing up.  I'm currently loading Lee 358-158 RF projectiles I cast and coat with Hi-Tek.  

Kraken Fan #69

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

When I started shooting Revo (SW686) a few years ago I went with

Lee 3 die set for 38SC  (Kempfs Gun Shop in Michigan City)

Lee 9mm Factory Crimp Die

TK Moon clips

Starline Brass 

3.3g WST, 158g Berrys, Fed SPP, 1.200 OAL  128-130 PF

Now shooting a SW627 PC

Same Dies

TK Moon Clips

Same Starline Brass

3.5g WST, 160g SNS Casting Polymer Coated, Fed SPP , 1.200 OAL.  Made 137PF at Area 4 this year.

Press is a Hornady LnL AP

On 11/23/2018 at 6:51 AM, hueycrew said:

Lee 3 die set for 38SC  (Kempfs Gun Shop in Michigan City)

Lee 9mm Factory Crimp Die

hueycrew,

With the Lee 3 die 38SC set, I thought the Bullet Seat die also crimped? Did you have issues with it then added the 9mm crimp die?

I am just starting reloading and have the 3 die 38sc set and the 9mm Factory Crimp Die. Wasn't sure if the 9mm FCD was redundant with the 38SC 3 die set.

Kirk 

59 minutes ago, kdinpc said:

hueycrew,

With the Lee 3 die 38SC set, I thought the Bullet Seat die also crimped? Did you have issues with it then added the 9mm crimp die?

I am just starting reloading and have the 3 die 38sc set and the 9mm Factory Crimp Die. Wasn't sure if the 9mm FCD was redundant with the 38SC 3 die set.

Kirk 

Just don't screw the die down that far.  Or if you do want to roll crimp use it on the crimp station without the bullet seating stem and screwed down so it does crimp.  Then use another die to seat the bullets i.e. a dillon seating die which also gives you the option of easily changing nose profiles.

2 hours ago, kdinpc said:

hueycrew,

Kirk 

many people prefer to seat and crimp separately, especially with plated or coated bullets.  it is much easier to adjust the crimp by itself without having the OAL change at the same time, also with the plated and coated bullets having the crimp happen at the same time as the bullet is sliding into the case makes damaging the thin coating much easier. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Ive shot special brass, SC, LC and LC shortened to .900. As far as reloads go if the clips/brass are held snugly and straight any of the three drop in just as fast. But for ejection is where, to me, the shorter cases do have an advantage. They're lack of length clears the cylinder better lessening the chance of a case hitting a grip edge and hanging in the cylinder etc etc. But over the years of load development, specific to a .357 mag chambered gun Ive found accuracy deficiencies with Short colts from excessive bullet jump in two 627's, a model 19, and a 586. Heavier longer bullets were less dismal than lighter shorter bullets and that supports the bullet jump issue. Despite seeing people say they shoot "like lasers" Ive not seen it and wont recommend it! But Long colt and Specials will however shoot equally and very accurately out of a .357 chamber. A trimmed down LC to .900 showed good results as well, but the time to trim does not warrant the lack of gain for such a small amount. 

So my suggestion, for a good mix of Accuracy, ejection reliability, and lower charge weights...the Long Colt case.  

Question: For 38 Long Colt, size with 38 special then seat and crimp with  9mm dies or some other combo.  For load data start with 9mm and work it up?

Joining the wheel gun side shortly and 38 Long Colt has me intrigued.  Too many know issues with 929s and not really wanting a 6.5” barrel so headed toward 627pc 5”.

1 minute ago, kimel said:

Question: For 38 Long Colt, size with 38 special then seat and crimp with  9mm dies or some other combo.  For load data start with 9mm and work it up?

Joining the wheel gun side shortly and 38 Long Colt has me intrigued.  Too many know issues with 929s and not really wanting a 6.5” barrel so headed toward 627pc 5”.

Long Colts are a bit longer than 38 Super so that probably a better starting point load wise,  or back off 38 special data a bit. 

on the 929 note I believe the 929 problems you see a lot about are in reality current production Smith and Wesson problems and whatever model you buy is just as likely to need service. My personal thoughts are that Smith sells gun "kits" they put all the parts together and sell them as a functional? gun but in the end its a kit and should be viewed as such..  

• 1 month later...

OK.  I'm back and I'm having issues.    I just can't seem to find an accurate load that makes 130 PF with the Lee 358-150 1R mold.   (Which really sucks because I had a custom version made by Arsenal! )  I get great accuracy just below then it just goes to crap.  I've tried W231, WSF, Clays, VV N320.  I thought 4.0 of W231 in Long Colt had me sorted but I guess not.   Went back and tried to get something worked out for Short Colt and just can't make PF while maintaining accuracy there either.   I'm using Starling Brass in a S&W 627 Pro 5".  

Any thoughts fellas?   I'm hurting here.

Kraken Fan #69

Edited by KrakenFan69

Try WSF and about 4.0gr to start.  I run a 929 and set out to make pf with a slower powder to reduce the sticking case problem.  Never have a hard extraction and most times it's tap the rod with my thumb instead of slap it with the palm.  I use Blue 147 rn.

Paul

What bullet dia are you sizing to.

My guns shoot .358 much better than anything smaller dia.

If you are sizing to 358 I'd suggest you double check your dia. after your bullets are run through the sizer.

Just a thought!