Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shadow 2 Maintenance Schedule

ElCalvoPR

For a practice gun the answer is usually "until they break or when they are so worn that functional reliability is reduced" however all of the following springs get changed AND TESTED before a major match usually. The shadow 2 seems to break less parts than the previous generation of guns.

1. Hammer spring, firing pin spring, trigger return spring (using Reduced power Cajun parts for me)
  2. Recoil spring and buffer if needed
  3. Slide stop if round count exceeds 10k+ rounds or signs of visual cracking/damage (normal wear is fine)

Recoil once a year (Shadow 2, 15000 rounds a year) 

hammer spring after 5000 rounds since I am rally light at 10 lbs

slide stop don't know... use one on training and other one for matches 

didn't break in 30,0000 rounds,,,?

regards

On 10/11/2018 at 2:37 PM, ElCalvoPR said:

Thanks for the answer. I was looking for a more detailed breakdown.

For example, after how many rounds do you replace your:

1. Recoil spring
2. Hammer Spring
3. Slide stop
Etc

Thanks,

J.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't base replacements off round counts, because that's not the core of what matters. What matters is that the gun is operating within it's normal parameters. So I guess you could say my view point is based off different data. Round counts to change springs could be different based on what type of springs, what kind of ammo shot through the gun, etc.

For example. A 11.5lb hammer spring and reduced power firing pin spring will stop functioning reliably long before a heavier set of springs. A 13lb recoil spring will wear down faster if you're shooting hotter ammo. Therefore round count is certainly a factor...but not a hard set rule. What matters is how well that spring or part is working based on exactly what kind of shooting you're doing. That being said, I can understand why you want "a number to change at". Predicted failure rates can be based of data, or intelligent guess work.

Wear items are inspected and changed before major matches and then validated regardless of round count. 

That being said.

-Recoil ~10k

-Hammer and FP spring ~5k
-All other springs (TRS, safety, sear, etc) once a year a few months out from nationals
-Slide stop: once a year a few months out from nationals

I do springs once a year before majors start. I shoot maybe 15k between my 2 guns.

There's a few high round count guys in the area running Shadow 2s and as far as breakages we are seeing TRS (stock ones) going about 15k with dry fire reps and the only slidestop anyone has broken was at almost 50k.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Are you guys using CZ springs, or are you going for aftermarket springs? I’ve been thinking about getting into a Shadow 2 but it sounds like there are a lot of little parts to worry about.

Are you guys using CZ springs, or are you going for aftermarket springs? I’ve been thinking about getting into a Shadow 2 but it sounds like there are a lot of little parts to worry about.

I've been using the Cajun springs for a few years. You can run the Shadow 2s completly stock if you wanted it's all preference.

All pistols have wear parts that need replacing if you shoot enough.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk