Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

140mm or 155mm mbx mags?

Jfitz427

So I need some mags, I have one 170mm mbx coming with the gun I bought, so I won’t be buying another of those for a while. But I do need some mags to reload to. Trying to decide between the 140 and 155. I’ve read people saying the 155s are just as fast on the reload compared to the 140. Plus you get a few more rounds. What would you guys suggest?

The gun is in 38 super which I’ll shoot for a little while, but will be rebarreling it to 9mm sooner rather then later. So the mbx are attractive as they don’t need the spacer. And I won’t have to add springs followers and base plates to get max capacity. So 140s, or 155s? 

Thanks, 

john 

I went through the same conundrum just a few weeks ago. Couldn't decide and my thought process was the same as you on the 155; it will reload like a 140 but add a couple more rounds. 

What I finally decided on was to buy a MBX 170 (was tortured by my STI 170 trying to get it to run reliably) and use the TTI 7G base pads on the 140. I can get an extra round, sometime 2 with this setup. 

So what brought me to this was this thought process: If it's a long stage with 30+ count I will need a reload anyway, and the reload is going to be deep enough in the stage where I will only need a few extra rounds, maybe 5 -8 targets (10-16 rounds barring make up shots) A 140 will more than cover this. I honestly don't think I have ever needed to reload to a 170 for the extra 29 rounds.  

The key here for my was the MBX 170. Right out of the package it has been 100% reliable. So that's my starting mag. Before getting it, I was thinking 155 to get me deep enough in the stage. 

I think it's all a matter of preference and how you run your COF and where your mag change will be etc. 

I start almost all COF's with a 170 in the gun, and reload (if necessary)

with a 140.   

My plan is to purchase one 155 mm mag and try it - but it will depend on 

whether I can reload it as quickly as I can with a 140.  

It would be nice

to have some extra ammo, even though I don't think I have ever needed it.

But, I won't use the 155 if it's slower to reload - have to wait and try it and see   :) 

8 minutes ago, 36873687 said:

I reload to 170mm love it

I could consider a sti 170. Only 99 bucks. I just can’t afford to buy more mbx 170s, I will have one. So that should be enough. But the sti 170 is actually significantly cheaper then the mbx 140 or 155. And I’ve had great luck with my sti gen 2 mags working great right out of the box. Just don’t know if it will slow my down vs a 140 or 155. Since I’m gonna be shooting 38 super for a little while, but then to 9mm after I get a new barrel the MBX ars attractive as they don’t need any tuning, spacers or special oal to run 9mm reliably. 

If you don't already have 140mm mags then 155s are the way to go. There is no point in having a smaller magazine when a larger one is more than capable and is just as fast. It must be a crazy theory to try and think about, many people don't quite understand that more is better.Lets not forget that a 155 is easier to reload into a large magwell too, that extra inch or so makes a huge difference in slamming the mag vs barely seating it in the heat of the moment. 

3 hours ago, Jfitz427 said:

I could consider a sti 170. Only 99 bucks. I just can’t afford to buy more mbx 170s, I will have one. So that should be enough. But the sti 170 is actually significantly cheaper then the mbx 140 or 155. And I’ve had great luck with my sti gen 2 mags working great right out of the box. Just don’t know if it will slow my down vs a 140 or 155. Since I’m gonna be shooting 38 super for a little while, but then to 9mm after I get a new barrel the MBX ars attractive as they don’t need any tuning, spacers or special oal to run 9mm reliably. 

I know what your saying. But once u buy grams springs an followers an tti base pads. U are in same amount as mbx 170

2 hours ago, 36873687 said:

I know what your saying. But once u buy grams springs an followers an tti base pads. U are in same amount as mbx 170

Ya, I agree, I have mbxs for 40, and will have one 170 for 9mm. That’s what I’ll  start with always, so I was thinking for reloads to get the 170 Sti since they’re pretty cheap and just leave them stock. 26rds is plenty of after the 29-30rd mbx id start with. The mbx 155s will hold about the same, for 45 bucks more a piece. The question is how much faster is the reload with the 140, or 155. The general consensus is it’s faster. So I’ll probably go with the mbx 155. But my gen 2 sti 40 mags have been flawless. And they’re much cheaper. 

3 hours ago, lacivilian said:

If you don't already have 140mm mags then 155s are the way to go. There is no point in having a smaller magazine when a larger one is more than capable and is just as fast. It must be a crazy theory to try and think about, many people don't quite understand that more is better.Lets not forget that a 155 is easier to reload into a large magwell too, that extra inch or so makes a huge difference in slamming the mag vs barely seating it in the heat of the moment. 

That’s what I was thinking. I’ll skip the 140s and get the 155s. 

If you're used to reloading 140's for your 40/limited gun.  Stay with what you are already used to.

2 140's and 1 170 is all you will ever need unless you drop two mags or have a major gun glitch that you have to clear your gun twice in a stage.

IF that happens: the stage, possibly the match is down the drain anyway!

If im starting with a 170 mbx mag, which gives me about 30rds. Is there any reason I’d need an mbx 140 or 155 that holds 23-25rds? If I reloaded to a stock sti gen 2 mag that holds 20rds, won’t that be plenty for basically any stage?  It’s just the sti mags are much much cheaper, 75 bucks vs 130-145 for the mbx. 50rds of ammo should be plenty for any stage with 32rd max?  I’m trying to save some money here. 

19 hours ago, schaet said:

I went through the same conundrum just a few weeks ago. Couldn't decide and my thought process was the same as you on the 155; it will reload like a 140 but add a couple more rounds. 

What I finally decided on was to buy a MBX 170 (was tortured by my STI 170 trying to get it to run reliably) and use the TTI 7G base pads on the 140. I can get an extra round, sometime 2 with this setup. 

So what brought me to this was this thought process: If it's a long stage with 30+ count I will need a reload anyway, and the reload is going to be deep enough in the stage where I will only need a few extra rounds, maybe 5 -8 targets (10-16 rounds barring make up shots) A 140 will more than cover this. I honestly don't think I have ever needed to reload to a 170 for the extra 29 rounds.  

The key here for my was the MBX 170. Right out of the package it has been 100% reliable. So that's my starting mag. Before getting it, I was thinking 155 to get me deep enough in the stage. 

I think it's all a matter of preference and how you run your COF and where your mag change will be etc. 

I have a 170 mbx coming with the gun so I’m good there. I’m thinking the same thing you are, if I start with a 170 with 30 rounds in the gun, with stages having a 32rd max, with make up shots that’s 8-12more rounds I’ll need. So id still have some to spare.  A 140mm sti will be fine. 

Do you need spacers for the Sti gen 2 mags for 9mm? I know you don’t with the mbx which makes them very attractive. But double the price of a sti mag. 

No spacers needed. The new design (Gen2) is stamped 9mm, but according to Brazos website "You might find that the mags are stamped “9MM” but, rest assured, they are also used for 38 Super"

Which to me makes perfect sense as dimensional they are the same as the ones with the spacer as well as the MBX's

My guess, and it's only a guess, is that when they came out with the spacer version they were worried about OAL of the 9mm etc.. just a guess and I'm sure there's plenty on BE that knows better and can shed some light on that subject. 

If you're used to reloading 140's for your 40/limited gun.  Stay with what you are already used to.
2 140's and 1 170 is all you will ever need unless you drop two mags or have a major gun glitch that you have to clear your gun twice in a stage.
IF that happens: the stage, possibly the match is down the drain anyway!

I agree here. If you’re already set up with some 140s or use them in Limited go with 140s. If you’re buying your first set of mags and don’t shoot limited go with the 155s or all 170s. I shoot limited and have 140s for my open gun too, so when I got a 155 I noticed it was a little different to reload due to the extra length. Nothing big but when you’re pushing it the difference between the two could be enough to cause a bobble. And the extra couple rounds don’t make any real difference 99.9% of the time. I find that I rarely use the 155. I’d say best bet if you’re an open only guy would be just to only have 170s and practice only with them. Then you’re always maxed out..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have (2) 170mm and (3) 140mm and they run great. I have been reloading with 140mm as that is what I am used to for limited. That being said, all the locals told me if I was buying new get the 155mm for open reloads and use one big stick to start. For me since I will be shooting both open and limited I will stick with 140mm for reloads.

I decide on the 140 sti mags. They’re just so much cheaper then the Mbx mags. I might add a bass plate and grams guts to one. But they hold 20rds stock, I can’t imagine I’ll reallg need 23, when I’ll always start with 30 in the gun with my mbx big stick. Reloading to a stock 20rd 140 should be plenty.

ive been looking at some cheap SPS mags for practice. Anyone have experice with them for 9/38? I have two that cane with my pantera in 40, and they feed reliably. Thinking about picking up a 170mm and a 140. They’re quite a bit cheaper then sti or mbx mags, so they could be good practice mags. And who knows, they may even been good for matches. There 140 says it holds 23, and is just over 50 bucks. 

Yes, cheap is alway good.  Cheap may even be best. 

You know, it's probably because of cheap that some folks think Open guns just don't run well.  Cheap mags, cheap ammo, don't clean the gun (save on time and lube). 

Actually, Open isn't cheap.  Buy what works, don't complain about it, practice a lot, and just have fun.

16 minutes ago, teros135 said:

Yes, cheap is alway good.  Cheap may even be best. 

You know, it's probably because of cheap that some folks think Open guns just don't run well.  Cheap mags, cheap ammo, don't clean the gun (save on time and lube). 

Actually, Open isn't cheap.  Buy what works, don't complain about it, practice a lot, and just have fun.

This. A few dollars can save you from a whole lot of headache and trouble. You are shooting OPEN, not production.

On 10/9/2018 at 5:11 PM, lacivilian said:

If you don't already have 140mm mags then 155s are the way to go. There is no point in having a smaller magazine when a larger one is more than capable and is just as fast.

I would agree with that logic.

If you can reload with a 170, you can reload with a 155, so why use lower-capacity mags?  What's the benefit?

If you can't reload with a 170, why shoot Open? 

Do you only carry two mags?  Never had a mag fail, or a bad reload, or a failed stage plan?  If your only 170 fails, are you going to switch to smaller mags? 

22 minutes ago, teros135 said:

If you can reload with a 170, you can reload with a 155, so why use lower-capacity mags?  What's the benefit?

If you can't reload with a 170, why shoot Open? 

Do you only carry two mags?  Never had a mag fail, or a bad reload, or a failed stage plan?  If your only 170 fails, are you going to switch to smaller mags? 

That’s a good point. Where were you 2 days ago when everyone was saying get the 140s? 

And no I usually have 1 mag in the gun and 3 on my belt. So the thinking is, 1 170, plus 1 140 should for any stage, but I always have a few extras on my belt. But you’re right if the gun jams up right away and I have to drop the 170, I’m gonna need another. Maybe I’ll pick up another 170. So I’d have two 170s, and 2 140s between my gun and belt. 

I use my 140's and 155's interchangeably.  If your plan is to only have one 170 mag though I would definatly have a 155 in the bag.  If you start having issues with the 170 mag during a match starting just a few rounds down with a 155 will give you better options....

14 minutes ago, NoSteel said:

I use my 140's and 155's interchangeably.  If your plan is to only have one 170 mag though I would definatly have a 155 in the bag.  If you start having issues with the 170 mag during a match starting just a few rounds down with a 155 will give you better options....

Gonna pick up a second 170. Something could easily happen to the first one and then I’d be screwed. Always good to have a back up. Then I’d have 2 170s anc 2 140s. 

I’m also looking at the sps mags for practice. 55 bucks for a 140 that holds 23rds, much like the mbx 140s. Now I’m sure the quality is no where near as good, but then I don’t have to worry about messing up my good ones practicing. But the 170 sps aren’t even worth it? 80 bucks vs 100 for an sti that we know is good quality and will work for many years. But the 140s ars a good deal. I have 2 126s that run reliably though my sps pantera. So if the 9mm are as good as those they should be great practice/backup mags.