Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Limited D at GA State Champs

Mattdf98

Hey all, this was my first major and personally I felt my performance was lacking(though I still ended up winning D class)

I want to work alot on movement and transitions but I know there’s a plethora of other things I could be doing better too.

Match video

The combination of running dry so many times and the fact that you had forgotten targets/ FTE penalties is a sign that your stage planning and visualization process needs to be improved.  Shooting a hi-cap division you should never run dry on the clock.  It just can't happen.

Take more time and dedicate more mental reps to your visualization, or begin to visualize your stage plans if you currently do not.  

Your draw is glacial.  You should be working on that in dry fire.  

You want to inspect your shots, this is particularly evident when leaving a position.  You don't have time for that.  Develop the ability to call your shots and then be gone to the next task/position.  You also take a lot of make-up shots.  Shot calling helps with that too.  

Your movement is not terrible relative to your class but you can move with more urgency between positions.  When you're not shooting, be moving at your personal max effort.  

You could save 2-3 seconds a stage by improving your positioning.  Meaning you set up in such a way that you don't have to shift your feet to take all the targets you intend to take from a particular position.  You want to shoot-shift-shoot-shift-shoot.  Every time you pick your feet up unneccessarily it's at least a second.  Again, this can be rectified in walk-through.  Pick markers on the ground or fault line to determine where you need to set your feet in order to see all the targets you intend to engage.  The side benefit is that you're going to be more stable and make the shots easier too if you don't have to pick up your feet.  

Congrats on the class win.  If you adopt a dedicated dry fire training program you will not be D (or even C) for very long.  

Some jumbled up notes from a production shooter

I see a few common themes

Standing reloads (0:21, 2:14, 3:54) eliminate these.

2:14 - You only needed two shots to finish at that position. I think you took 4 "security" shots (plus one round racked-out) before that position at the port.

Make-up shots (which sometimes cause the standing reloads). 3:38 and 4:40 are good examples of make-up shots on open targets. If those make-up shots are helpful because they erased a mike, then it would be a good idea to work on shooting. If they aren't helping (i.e., you ended up with 3 alphas), then you need to work on calling your shot as "good" and moving on. If the make-up shots still don't help eliminate the mikes . . . definitely work on shooting. Try to think about where the mikes happened (e.g., into hard cover, completely missed my second shot on a target). These trends can be helpful in diagnosing and correcting.

On the note of calling your shot as "good" and moving on: 5:08 is an example of how that can slow you down. You fixated on that target and while it's true that you were moving, you still could have been quicker into the position and ready to engage. 5:24 is another instance (though I'm not sure which target you reviewed). Be decisive.

Position/Movement/Transitions. Sometimes you were caught out of position (e.g., 3:51 you could have moved immediately after breaking the shot as opposed to turning and then realizing that you need to move. Also, 5:59 you were a couple of steps out of position). You do pretty well on large movements, but some of the smaller movements and target transitions could be quicker (e.g., Stage 7 looks like it was all about short movements into precise positions with single targets--plenty of transitions).

Shooting on the move vs. get to the position and then shoot 0:30 and 1:39 you were slowly walking to the target. It looks like it would have been more efficient to get to the position and then shoot. Be conscientious about the trade-off in time. Generally speaking, yes shooting on the move is great. But if the trade-off in time that it takes for you to engage the target(s) on the move (and the possible point trade-off) aren't there, it becomes a wash at best.

Draw on the Beep 1:20, 4:58, 5:36 you can have the gun up and ready to engage your first target before you enter the shooting area/first position--as long as you keep it safe (finger off the trigger, don't break the 180) and make sure to establish yourself in the shooting area.

Ammunition. You racked out several rounds. Can you speculate on why those rounds failed? 

MISC

5:17 engagement order. You engaged the two open targets which made you swing all the way back to your left to engage the hardcover target. That was a "safe" thing to do, but not necessarily the most efficient. It might help to practice transitioning to/from different target presentations--that array would be a good one to replicate in practice.

Stage 3

2 FTSA . . . ouch. That's a visualization/execution problem. 

With a bit of work, you'll be out of D in short order.

Edited by Rez805

Good point, Ron

In addition to the other advise here I'd look into taking a class and probably picking up some dryfire/live fire books to help direct your practice.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Your first stage you had more make ups on paper then I want to count but you had no problem

going one for one on 15-18 yard steel.

shoot two good shots instead of 3 hopers on paper. 

Georgia was an aiming match. So live fire enough that you are confident you can hit any target the first shot.

honestly you look great for a D class guy

whats up Matt .. we shot on Friday..and got there Thursday for a few hours of planning. It helped. coming in cold with 2-5 minutes of walk through would be tough.

In your video I saw lots of extra shots and jams.. followed by standing reloads and hesitation. fix the gun and trust it.

The match had plenty of traps - mini poppers at 30 yards, tons of tuxedos that dared us to enter or exit on them or to take on move, crazy memory stuff.. I think this was to help separate the divisions and skill levels .. but they created traps if you tried to shoot beyond your ability.. 8 mikes, right? thrown into hard cover on left side? on entry/exit target? .. I went in with the plan to relax and just shoot my game... and plan to my ability that I knew I could remember and execute.  that's what I did.

That said i know my next practice will have ALL tuxedos and poppers at 30 yards..  and lots of movement.

Agree with what others have said mostly. You got a TON of advice already on opportunities for improvement. You cant fix ALL of the stuff at one time. Pick one thing at a time to focus on improving. Make sure you don't train in any "bad" habits during the process.

You're doing great! Keep it up.