Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is a 320X5 worth the upgrade over 320?

ninjaboot

On the fence about this one.  I shot limited all this year but will be moving back to production for next year and was planning on shooting my 320 again. I just got it back from Sig for the recall work and plan on putting a GG comp trigger in as well as buying a X5 grip module. My question is, is the X5 worth the upgrade? I do like the optic plate and rear sight combo option (I hate the small rear P320 sight). Does the gun track and handle that much better? I have shot 10rds out of one last year and it wasn't enough to form a opinion on it.  Just not sure it will be worth it to upgrade to the X5 ? 

Having shot and own both, I still have the X5 but the 320 is now gone. The X5 is more balance compared to the 320 hence it shoots better  to me.

I’ve also added a springer precision tungsten guide rod and installed a 10#  Wilson combat recoil spring to suit my reloads. No problems so far after about 3k. I also put a talon grip tape for better purchase on the grips.

Edited by George16

I also have both, both with Romeo's. Both are great guns and shoot well, but the FS sure does not make it out of the gun safe nearly as often since buying the X5. The X5 is just a little more accurate, so it gets the nod most of the time.

As far as if it's worth the extra, I think so. If I were to sell one, and I've been thinking about it, the FS would go.

Edited by jejb

IMO, yes. The juice is worth the squeeze. As mentioned, I find it balanced in my hands. And comparing out of the box trigger, my regular 320 felt like I was dragging it over a gravel road. The X5 was smooth out of the box at least with mine. Accuracy was much better as well.

Edited by 021411

As of Saturday I have both.

Both have Gray Guns trigger kits in them.

Both have optics

X5 set for coptics is 3 ozs heavier.

Rx has a large grip module.

Actually think I like the feel of the LG grip better.

Haven't shot it on the timer enough to say yet

Easy to shoot 2" groups at 20 yds with the x5 though.

Edited by jcc7x7

• 2 weeks later...

I've had three P320 Standard pistols - two Full Size and one SC. I now have the X5. I really really liked the rounded, palm swell style Full Size grip and did not think I'd like the flat sided X5 grip.  I reality I did not notice the difference in grip geometry and, as others have said, the X5 balance and heft make it - to me - a noticeably improved / superior pistol. And I'm not even interested in in its built-in optics capability.

I think the X5 is definitely worth the upgrade. Everything about the gun is better, added weight, better sights, and easier to switch to a dot. If you’re shooting production I could see an argument for the 320, but if you want to dabble in CO it’s the X5 all day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

I had mine pretty much built like an x5 less the slide work and grip module before the x5 came out, and as a result I honestly don’t have a good answer to this question, having shot both plenty.  I have somewhere in the neighborhood of 5-7k through my FS p320 and I’m more accurate with that than any other one I own. 

I own several P320s, including an X5. They're all great pistols in that they're accurate, and they handle well, but for me the X5 is better due to the different distribution of weight, the longer sight radius, and the flat trigger. I also like the X grip module better because of its more boxy shape as opposed to the rounder shape of the standard grip module. The "corners" make the gun point better for me, and feel like I've got more control of the pistol in recoil. 

As of Saturday I have both.
Both have Gray Guns trigger kits in them.
Both have optics
X5 set for coptics is 3 ozs heavier.
Rx has a large grip module.
Actually think I like the feel of the LG grip better.
Haven't shot it on the timer enough to say yet
Easy to shoot 2" groups at 20 yds with the x5 though.

What does the X5 weigh with an empty mag + optic? And is that with or without the grip weight?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My very unscientific sense is that for the local shooters who were "early adopters" of the 320 platform prior to the X5 being an option the majority of them moved to the X5 platform after it became available. 

4 hours ago, ddc said:

My very unscientific sense is that for the local shooters who were "early adopters" of the 320 platform prior to the X5 being an option the majority of them moved to the X5 platform after it became available. 

I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing out on something special.

Honestly the x-5 is more accurate but shoot-ability is not huge between it and the 320 FS with a large grip on it for me.

On the clock I shoot the 320 .001 faster with the same accuracy.

I'm sticking with the x-5 for the next few months to make sure it's not that I'm more familiar with the 320 FS.