Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Indoor USPSA matches

Drtheo

We run ours at a small range, only 5 stalls. We do 1 stage at a time, 1 squad. Works well. Stages are not as complex in general as when they are outside, but still lots of fun. We also shoot a low light stage once in a while.

We are fortunate enough to have two separate rooms/ranges where we can run 2 squads simultaneously. The Match Director gets there early and sets both up with fairly technical COF's (mazes of barriers etc.) and then after each squad shoots them we will switch it up to 2 quick speedy stages; ALA classifiers. 

Not all indoor ranges are created equal. The range I shoot at (Alpha Range In McHenry IL)  has Battle walls that allow 180 degree shooting. We have 2 bays that are roughly 35 feet by 70 feet. It certainly limits what we can do for matches but its still a good time in the winter for sure. We shoot 1st, 3rd, and 5th Wednesdays from Oct - May; These matches have 3 stages + 1 Classifier. We also run 1 Saturday a month with 6 stages. Below is a video of our most recent match.

On 10/9/2018 at 12:23 PM, Maximis228 said:

Not all indoor ranges are created equal. The range I shoot at (Alpha Range In McHenry IL)  has Battle walls that allow 180 degree shooting. We have 2 bays that are roughly 35 feet by 70 feet. It certainly limits what we can do for matches but its still a good time in the winter for sure. We shoot 1st, 3rd, and 5th Wednesdays from Oct - May; These matches have 3 stages + 1 Classifier. We also run 1 Saturday a month with 6 stages. Below is a video of our most recent match.

What are these "battle walls" of which you speak?

More info would be much appreciated.

Edited by mccurdy53

Just now, mccurdy53 said:

What are these "battle walls" of which you speak?

More info would be much appreciated.

Ar500 lined walls. 2x4 framing, sheets of plywood, then 2 inch think rubber 2x2 squares lining the walls. Slows projectile and captures all projectiles in the wall. 1 work night a year to maintain the walls is all that is needed. This was provided by Action Target. They have some newer options now that make maintenance a lot less hassle.

29 minutes ago, Maximis228 said:

Ar500 lined walls. 2x4 framing, sheets of plywood, then 2 inch think rubber 2x2 squares lining the walls. Slows projectile and captures all projectiles in the wall. 1 work night a year to maintain the walls is all that is needed. This was provided by Action Target. They have some newer options now that make maintenance a lot less hassle.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

I shoot in a monthly indoor uspsa match. It's a large indoor range with (3) 25 yard bays, 10 points each. We can run 3 squads at a time, 2 stages per bay. 2 of the 3 bays are setup with smaller, more technical stages split between the two sides of the bay. The 3rd one is usually a stage that uses the entire bay with the two stages just a variation of the same course.

I love it because it runs all year and can still shoot USPSA in the dead of winter.

It's fairly popular and about 30ish people show up each month.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

My guess is that it is not practical or possible to shoot steel indoors?

Why would you think that?

In fact, where I shoot the indoor steel is less restrictive than outdoor steel because we have to “shroud” outdoor steel to catch splatter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, Matt1 said:

Why would you think that?

In fact, where I shoot the indoor steel is less restrictive than outdoor steel because we have to “shroud” outdoor steel to catch splatter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was just thinking the splatter would be an issue. I guess it just gets swept up and put in haz mat. I am only familiar with ranges were the bullets impact into rubber matt covered berms filled with rubber chunks.

Our club is an indoor club (which can be a blessing in the South Louisiana summers where it gets so hot, we go to hell to cool off). We have one large bay to work with, but no "battle walls." We usually run 3 stages (sometimes 4) per match and do a match a week. We also do 2 day classifier only matches (6 stages over 2 nights) about every 6 months or so.

The main way we do it is that we have one large main stage that takes up the whole range. Everyone shoots as 1 squad. Then we have a 2nd stage that might be similar to the first stage, but there is movement between the 2 halves. The 3rd stage is usually a classifier set up in the middle. The last 2 stages are shot in 2 squads, one squad shoots then the other squad shoots, and then we all go down to score/tape. It's fairly efficient and we can run 30+ shooters through all 3 stages (including set up and tear down time) in about 3-4hrs. On the rare nights that we have 20 or less shooters, we can be in and out in 2hrs total.

As far as steel indoors, we use Newbold poppers and plates. Essentially just resealable, polymer type targets. They've been holding up well so far.