Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shadow 2 Buffer - When to replace?

ElCalvoPR

I replace mine the same time I replace my recoil spring which is around 5k or when the buffer shows signs of tears/cracking. It’s always a good practice to check it every time I clean my gun which is after every match/Live Fire Practice. 

Look at it occasionally however especially before major matches. If it looks crumpled like a potato chip or otherwise compromised ditch it and replace it. Mine seem to last close to 5000+ rounds usually or more shooting a mix of factory brass/aluminum blazer 115gr and USPSA loaded 130PF ammo.

The buffer will get deformed and "smashed in " looking. Slight spring contact wear and discoloration is normal.

Edited by threat

• 2 weeks later...

I am a heavy user and love the buffers, after seeing guns at the factory that they tested with and without the buffer, I'll keep using them, especially since I use an 8 or 9lb recoil spring and reduced hammer spring. Saves a ton of metal on metal smashing. I replace them when they get cut through. most last over 10,000 rounds, some even longer. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...