Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hornady LNL progressive and RCBS lockout die

JMPhotog

I am using a Hornady LNL to load my 40's for USPSA limited. Current configuration is:

1) EGW U-die

2) Hornady expander

3) powder drop

4) Hornady Seating die

5) Hornady Taper crimp die

I had my first squib Saturday, never had one in the past. I use LED lights and can see clearly before I add the bullet to the charged case.

Anyway, I think I am going to add an RCBS lockout die. If I were to do that, my question is, which would be the best option to open up a spot:

1)would it be better to add the PTX expander and expand and drop in the same station?

2) Or I have the Hornady die that will do both seating and crimping in the same die, but I only use it to seat?

Thanks for your input.

IMHO unless you are using bullets that would be a problem with seat/crimp in one station (i.e. some coated & plated) I would combine those two first as there would be fewer adjustments/fine tuning required vs the PTX.

• 1 month later...

My current setup is:
1)Dillon size die (primarily because of the spring-loaded decapping pin)

2)Drop and expand with PTX
3)RCBS Lockout die
4)Dillon seating die

5)Dillon crimp die (adjustments on #4 & #5 can be rather annoying to adjust on the LNL unless you replace the lock rings)

This is mounted on an Inline Ultramount with a Skylight and vertical lightstrip.

Works well for me, and if I decide to add a bulletfeeder, I can combine seat and crimp(if I can make it work with coated bullets - haven't had a ton of success with that yet).

Little tip on fine tuning the PTX with a lockout die installed: if you're hitting the lockout die rod or primer tube with the powder drop assembly, and moving one "step" on the lock and load lugs still has you lined up wrong, don't forget that you can loosen up the clamps where the linkage is mounted and rotate everything to exactly where you need it. This took me longer to realize than I care to admit.

One benefit to leaving powder drop in station 3 is if your press throws a little powder out of the cases occasionally it would most likely bounce off the front of the press and on the floor instead of into the primer slider if charging in station 2.  That said I much prefer a PTX and seating/crimping in different stations.