Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Do you load a single mag for PCC or use one for each string.

stick

Do you load a single mag for PCC or use one for each string.  

69 members have voted

1. 1. What do you load?

• Yes, I load up one 40+ mag and use it for all five strings
    • No, I use 5 mags and change one after each string.

14 hours ago, Hammer002 said:

This is interesting, and what I have seen may not pertain to you, but I know a few guys like this.  I usually try to RO for them because they are looking for a cadence through all 5 strings.  Two guys I know get pretty frustrated with the RO if he is not keeping the pace they like.  Especially if something out of the ordinary happens.  It’s like they are trying to shoot 5 strings as one.  I told one of them, a friend of mine, I thought he was leaving too much influence to the RO.  He will shoot well if I run him or another RO that is ready to go, go, go at his pace, but then he will shoot bad if the RO takes longer than he likes to communicate with the scorekeeper or otherwise not be “fast.”  I like to control the pace, giving plenty of time for scoring and what not.  Usually the RO is waiting on me to be ready, not the other way around.  Usually only a few seconds, maybe longer if I have to mentally regroup.

We shoot together often.  When I shoot rfro, I use a 25 round magazine for my 15-22 and change after 4 runs.  I have definitely messed this up before.  Have a little different routine with that gun, but I know exactly what you mean.  The weight doesn’t seem to matter on this one, but I have learned to keep my pre shot mental routines the same between the 2 rifles.  You are right, and it gets harder to remember what run it is when other things happen, like reshoots, or a break in shooting due to tablet failure, etc.

Definitely a difference in weight between 22 lr and 9mm's!

I always plan on shooting "only" five rounds per string, BUT things don't always go to plan so I figure 10 rounds is a safe cushion, 9 in SS.  Unless it's revolver then it's 8, or gasp 6 when I'm in the mood!

On 10/9/2018 at 6:41 AM, stick said:

I was shooting with another GM at a match this past weekend.  He asked if I had big sticks for my SCSA PCC.  I immediately pulled out two 33rd Glock mags with TF extensions and a ETS 33rd mag with a mini MBX extension.  I inquired why he asked.  He said "why do you change mags after every string?  Perplexed, I looked at him and said It gives me a second to think about my next string. (I use 6 17rd glock mags) His reply got me thinking.  If you're on a roll, It keeps your momentum going and you can get into a groove.

What do you use?

Great question. I always put in 12 rounds each magazine and I reload after every string. I keep my routine consistent and it’s repeatable. If I have a bad string it gives me a moment to reset and prepare for the next. Find out what works for you and do it. ??

• 5 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, ZackJones said:

10 is good for two strings, right :).

Yep just don't miss LOL   and pertime if I need more than 6 it is a bad string.  :)  and yes I have had some bad strings in the past and I am sure there will be more...  Hey Zack looks like I am going to shoot with you guys again on the 23rd

Edited by xpierrat

• 2 weeks later...

10 is good for two strings, right default_smile.png.

I’ve never needed more than ten, but this last weekend I borrowed a S&W 627 revolver and shot OSR for the first time at the Area 2 Championships. Before I shot my buddy gave me a brief instruction on staging the revolver cylinder between shots, but while trying to go fast I couldn’t get the feel right and kept breaking the shot between the plates. I had to reload for the first time ever on a string on Pendulum so I could hit the stop plate. I should have been counting rounds and just skipped the plate before the stop as the 3 second penalty would have added less time than the reload. I gave up and just shot old school to finish the stage without any more reloads. All that being said, I had the most fun shooting revolver since I had no expectations and didn’t know what a good string time should be, so no self-imposed pressure!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had to reload on The Pendulum shooting OSR at FL state. Huge time waster. Fortunately I had 4 other good runs so that string got tossed. OSR is different but lots of fun to shoot. I’m planning to come to Area 2 in 2019 and will bring my OSR.

I've done it both ways.  Shooting my PCC with Glock 33 -round magazines, I'll shoot the entire set of 5 strings with that one magazine and have a loaded 10-round magazine as backup if I really screw up the stage.  

Shooting my M&P 9 mm in CO I'll load the 17-round magazines to capacity and shoot two strings per magazine and reload twice during the stage.

Shooting my 10/22 in rfro I have three TandemKross double magazines I load with 10-rounds each and reload after each string.

So far i haven't missed a reload when needed despite this mix of techniques.

Edited by SteelCityShooter
Add more info

I had to reload on The Pendulum shooting OSR at FL state. Huge time waster. Fortunately I had 4 other good runs so that string got tossed. OSR is different but lots of fun to shoot. I’m planning to come to Area 2 in 2019 and will bring my OSR.

Awesome, it’s gonna be a fun match!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

Meh, 103% GM ... i stuff 40 into my MPX mag and roll out. For those who claim they use multiple mags to "reset their brain" or whatever during strings, its YOUR time, you can still reset/think/ponder/daydream without changing mags - aint nobody forcing you to shoot a string and be instantly ready for the next. If they are, time to talk to the MD. 

Edited by IntenseImage

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎2‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 11:00 AM, IntenseImage said:

Meh, 103% GM ... i stuff 40 into my MPX mag and roll out. For those who claim they use multiple mags to "reset their brain" or whatever during strings, its YOUR time, you can still reset/think/ponder/daydream without changing mags - aint nobody forcing you to shoot a string and be instantly ready for the next. If they are, time to talk to the MD. 

I typically do the same with my MPX.  BUT, CDNN has 10 round Gen 1 MPX mags for $14.99 ea.  So I just ordered 5 to give this method a try.  Perhaps being 30 rounds lighter will make a difference.  

• 2 weeks later...

98.44% PCC - last couple matches I just used a single 33rd mag for the entire stage most of the time. I take 2 mags to the line because I have a bad habit of calling a miss on an edge hit based on my dot and double tapping a target, so if I don't have 6 or 7 rounds left on string 5 I'll swap. I don't think I've had a single match shooting PCC where I didn't do that at least once or twice. Any of you guys have this problem? It's cost me a good run multiple times. There isn't time to wait for the sound or even see the impact ... just something I need to work on.

I dunno, my gun weights 6lbs on the dot empty so I don't really notice the weight difference I guess. I do notice it a lot more shooting plastic pistols though and I'm far less confident that I'll have 5 shot strings so I change mags at least a couple times in that case.

Edited by cityofthesouth

• 1 month later...

I have 4 of the long 33rd mags, 2 17 round mags and 1 10 round mag.  At the next local match I'm going to use the 2 17's and the 10 rounder.  Shoot two strings with each of the 17's and the last string with the 10 rounder.  See how that goes 

• 6 months later...
On 12/7/2018 at 10:23 AM, SteelCityShooter said:

I've done it both ways.  Shooting my PCC with Glock 33 -round magazines, I'll shoot the entire set of 5 strings with that one magazine and have a loaded 10-round magazine as backup if I really screw up the stage.  

Shooting my 10/22 in rfro I have three TandemKross double magazines I load with 10-rounds each and reload after each string.

So far i haven't missed a reload when needed despite this mix of techniques.

Similar... For PCC, started out with 6 Glock mags, 10 in each and reloaded after each string.  For me, it was a distraction.  Switched to my ultra-dependable Glock 31 rounder with MBX extension on it and load 37 rounds.  On the last run, I release the mag, check that there's more than enough rounds left in it, re-seat it  and run the last string.  Not changing magazines keeps me further in the "zone".  Shot my best times in that division using this method.

On the 10/22 for RFRO, same thing.  Three TandemKross DoubleCross magazines, each loaded with 10 rounds each.  Since they are a standard Ruger magazine (just two of them mated at the bottom) the process is to flip one over between strings 1-2 and 3-4.  Replace the magazine after runs 2 and 4.  They only provide the outside "shell" pieces so each one requires the internals of two standard Ruger magazines.  Finding it more dependable than the Ruger 25 rounders.

BC

TK DoubleCross.jpg

I shoot RFPO and Open.  I bring six cased mags to the table for each.  The Open gun is a 1911 Custom Open gun.  On those occasions where I have a USPSA match the day after an SCSA match, I shoot Open with my 2011 shooting minor rounds.  I have six mags for it, but not all of them are the same.  So I run two identical mags loaded to 24.  I find I am generally better on the second, third and fifth strings, because there was no break in the cadence.  Usually the scorer has trouble keeping up.

When I start shooting PCC, I'll probably do the same.  Two 33 rounders loaded with 24.

Edited by zzt

7 hours ago, old558 said:

I try to use 1 33 round mag, mostly because I am right handed but shoot PCC left handed as I am right eye dominant.  It's feels a little funny reloading.

you mean 'left' eye dominant? otherwise why would you make it harder to see the dot with your dominant eye? 

I've tried both ways. For me I find myself better with a single big stick (factory 33 w/ TF Goliath for 50 total). If I have a good run then I'm ready to get the next one going. I find that if I change mags each string I get into my head too much.

If I have a bad string I unshoulder the rifle and take a breath before the next string.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...