Plated vs jacket vs coated bullets

reballz

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Does no one use Hornady HAPs?  They have a 125gn .356" JHP and can be found for 10-11cents.

I came to this thread interested in coated bullets, but there is no discussion of them.  I just got some blue bullets to try and have since heard of ibejihead and acme, all seem low priced.

16 minutes ago, MetricPound said:

Does no one use Hornady HAPs?  They have a 125gn .356" JHP and can be found for 10-11cents.

I came to this thread interested in coated bullets, but there is no discussion of them.  I just got some blue bullets to try and have since heard of ibejihead and acme, all seem low priced.

Hornady HAPS are fantastic and I think about that price if you want to buy maybe 5000 at a time?

Blue Bullets are .001 smaller than standard sizing for lead and coated lead.  They work very well in some pistols, but only so-so in others.  ACME is standard size or a hair over, which is a good thing. 

26 minutes ago, MetricPound said:

That’s because (1)it became focused on guns with comps, in which coated bullets make a horrific mess.

and (2) because 80% of the discussions in this forum are about coated bullets. We all use them, load them, and love them. Run through the search and you’ll get a phone book.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

7 hours ago, IDescribe said:

Sanders already answered, but yes, if you go to 38 Super instead of 9mm, there is a .356 124gr FMJ-RN, that shoots notably more accurately in my Shadow than the .355.  Zero also has .356 38 Super bullets with a wider variety of profiles and weights, including a 121gr JHP.  If I remember correctly, you're a CZ shooter, and I am pretty sure some CZ shooters have had some issues with the Zero .356 125gr JHP needing to be seated a bit too short, but that 121gr JHP is sweet. 

Thank you for the info!

HAP and XTP are the same bullet less the skives. They are a great bullet. I'm my experience they (XTP, haven't messed with HAP) have a bit of length variation. Doesn't make a difference that I can see but your OAL will float around. XTP have long been regarded as one of the most accurate bullets out there, many Bianchi shooters use either them or Zeros.

The problem with them is they are ~11 cents apiece. That is 2-2.5 cents more than the bullets from other companies. So in lots of volume, that makes a substantial difference.

9 hours ago, MetricPound said:

Revisiting this now post now that it’s not late at night:

11 cents is astronomical. Coated runs 6 cents and change, plated around 7something and good JHPs from a place like PD are 8 to 9. Tops. That’s why no one shoots HAPs, although I would consider it at a big major match in some accuracy intensive discipline like Binachi.

9 hours ago, MetricPound said:

Blues are .355” and most other coated bullets are .356 so if you want to go up in size, try a brand like black bullets intl or ACME.

Blues are the best bang for the buck, so if they shoot well? Run them! Remember to load with no crimp - just barely return the case walls to being straight.

56 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Revisiting this now post now that it’s not late at night:

11 cents is astronomical. Coated runs 6 cents and change, plated around 7something and good JHPs from a place like PD are 8 to 9. Tops. That’s why no one shoots HAPs, although I would consider it at a big major match in some accuracy intensive discipline like Binachi.

Blues are .355” and most other coated bullets are .356 so if you want to go up in size, try a brand like black bullets intl or ACME.

Blues are the best bang for the buck, so if they shoot well? Run them! Remember to load with no crimp - just barely return the case walls to being straight.

The last time I checked Acme was the cheapest option available if buying a case or more. They have a 10% off BENOS code on all of their products as well and are sized at .356 as stated above. 

The divisons named in the orignal post have a low enough velocity to make plated bullets an option. (Unlike Open)

http://www.evergladesammo.com/bullets/9mm-124gr-plated-fmj-bullets-case.html

$0.7173 per bullet.

That would have saved you $213 on your order of 11,250 bullets. If you’re not shooting open, there’s no reason to spend Montana Gold kind of money.

And even if I did shoot Open, Eveglades and Precision Delta have bullets as accurate as the MG at a price well under 9 cents per bullet.

Thanks for the link. I’m definitely going with them. They carry most of what I need.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I have a Starrett micrometer I used to measure 10 bullets of a few different makes some time back:

PD .356 124gr RN -- 1 @ .3560 | 1 @ .3561 | 3 @ .3562 | 5 @ .3563

PD .355 124gr JHP -- 2 @ .3550 | 6 @ .3551 | 2 @ .3552
MG .355 124gr JHP -- 1 @ .3551 | 1 @ .3552 | 7 @ .3553 | 1 @ .3554
SNS .356 135gr RN -- 1 @ .3559 | 3 @.3560 | 5 @ .3561 | 1 @ .3562
ACME.356 147gr FP -- 7 @ .3561 | 3 @ .3562
Bayou .356 124 TCG - 1 @ .3565 | 2 @ .3568 | 5@ .3569 | 1 @ .3571 | 1 @ .3572
Blue .355 125gr RN -- 4 @ .3555 | 6 @ .3556

I have also thrown the mic on some SNS 125CN, and those were closer to .3555/.3556, and some ACME bullets other than the 147FP listed above and found them to be closer to .3564, give or take, and although I haven't bought any BBI since having a mic, I know them to be upward closer to .357, which is probably why my Shadow loved them.  BBI are like that great ex-girlfriend I can't remember exactly why I moved past.  "Maybe I should call her.  I wonder how she's doing these days."