Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Plated vs jacket vs coated bullets

reballz

So I’ve been shooting rainier ballistics plated bullets for years. Interested to try different profiles and bullets. I load 9mm for my sti and my Jones Arms Kronos 9mm Pcc. I load 124gr for Pcc and 147 for pistol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If your Kronos has a comp on it, skip FMJ or coated. I shot both for 1,400 rounds then carved half an ounce of lead out of the comp. Cleaning comps is a pain most of us production/limited shooters can’t picture. It’s not like lead buildup elsewhere. It’s cast in there like concrete.

I now shoot Everglades plated 124s through my PCC and it loves them. They’re crazy clean through your handguns as well. :)

It’s plated or JHP for my guns with comps from now on. I hate guns that need cleaned every 500-1,000 rounds, and now my PCC isn’t in that catergory.

If your Kronos has a comp on it, skip FMJ or coated. I shot both for 1,400 rounds then carved half an ounce of lead out of the comp. Cleaning comps is a pain most of us production/limited shooters can’t picture. It’s not like lead buildup elsewhere. It’s cast in there like concrete.

I now shoot Everglades plated 124s through my PCC and it loves them. They’re crazy clean through your handguns as well. [emoji4]

It’s plated or JHP for my guns with comps from now on. I hate guns that need cleaned every 500-1,000 rounds, and now my PCC isn’t in that catergory.

Yeah I run the shooting innovations fsb. I’ve always ran plated so definitely good information. I was looking at Everglades too.

Very happy with Everglades’ accuracy out of a Q5 match and my PCC. They’re one of several high quality options in plated. I was a disapprover of plated bullets for a long time based on tumbling 147s from my old handgun.

The rifle: (barrel is a CMMG Guard)

Very happy with Everglades’ accuracy out of a Q5 match and my PCC. They’re one of several high quality options in plated. I was a disapprover of plated bullets for a long time based on tumbling 147s from my old handgun.

The rifle: (barrel is a CMMG Guard)

Looks like I’m gonna have to get some ordered.

6 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

I now shoot Everglades plated 124s through my PCC and it loves them. They’re crazy clean through your handguns as well. :)

I've been shooting Everglades for years since switching from Berry's.  I really like their Recess base RN 124gr bullets.

3 hours ago, 36873687 said:

Precision deltas free shipping when u buy over 2k. 

I’m close enough to drive down and pick up PD’s. And we have in the past. An Everglades is still cheaper, and just as accurate in the guns I am shooting.

Mainly though... a PD FMJ has an exposed lead base. They are no better than coated at fouling compensators in PCCs. Plated bullets are actually superior in this application because they have no exposed lead to melt off the base of the bullet as it’s heading down the barrel.

4 hours ago, stick said:

I've been shooting Everglades for years since switching from Berry's.  I really like their Recess base RN 124gr bullets.

Why the recessed base? Loading them in guns with short chambers and want the extra case volume?

I’ve reamed my PCC and my Walthers and everything I own works great at 1.169” so that isn’t too much of a concern.

Precision Delta 124 gr JHP are $0.085 ea with free shipping when you buy 2k. I have no issues with plated. I like them a lot but PD is just as cheap and are awesome!  Why buy plated? 

3 minutes ago, B_RAD said:

Precision Delta 124 gr JHP are $0.085 ea with free shipping when you buy 2k. I have no issues with plated. I like them a lot but PD is just as cheap and are awesome!  Why buy plated? 

Because PDs lead your compensator. See above.

Otherwise they’re terrific bullets.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

2 minutes ago, B_RAD said:

Last week, if you bought 4k (spent $300 or more) 124 JHPs, you could get them for $80/1000 shipped ;) 

12 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Why the recessed base? Loading them in guns with short chambers and want the extra case volume?

Everglades usually runs them on sale.  I also used Berry's hollow base round nose in the past, which allows for a longer load.  The recess base reminds me of those bullets.  Really it's just Everglades runs them cheaper than regular plated.  More bullets for the buck.

1 minute ago, Ssanders224 said:

Last week, if you bought 4k (spent $300 or more) 124 JHPs, you could get them for $80/1000 shipped ;) 

Damn! I follow you and Sloan on Instagram and still missed this memo. I’d have loaded up.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

Bro,.... I bought 2k the week before last!  Guess I need to check those weekly deals!  Is there an email blast to sign up for?

2 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Damn! I follow you and Sloan on Instagram and still missed this memo. I’d have loaded up.

If you have purchased online before, you should get the weekly email blast.  If not, PM me your email address. 

Sometimes I post the email add on IG. 

If you have purchased online before, you should get the weekly email blast.  If not, PM me your email address. 

Sometimes I post the email add on IG. 

No offense, but *everyone’s* emails go to my ‘junk’ account I catch every couple weeks. There’s probably one in there.

That’s why I follow you guys, aside from having really liked you both as ambassadors for the sport when you’ve shoot at MSSA... so I keep my email inbox uncluttered.

1 minute ago, MemphisMechanic said:

No offense, but *everyone’s* emails go to my ‘junk’ account I catch every couple weeks. There’s probably one in there.

That’s why I follow you guys, aside from having really liked you both as ambassadors for the sport when you’ve shoot at MSSA... so I keep my email inbox uncluttered.

I hear ya.  I'm the same way with emails. 

Going to try and do better about re posting them on IG. 

And thank you! We enjoy shooting with you guys.  We need to get back up there soon. 

Edited by Ssanders224

56 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

I’ve reamed my PCC and my Walthers and everything I own works great at 1.169” so that isn’t too much of a concern.

Not if u buy jhp. They had 5 an 10% off last week. About $30 bucks off. 

Just an FYI, I just ordered Montana Gold 124 Grain JHPs. 11,250 bullets for $1,020.00, which equates to $0.0906 per bullet. That's free shipping and they have been flawless in my open gun. The comp is super clean, but then, I suspect my use of good powder also helps. I have shot about 4,000 rounds so far and no problems.