Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking for lightweight grip alternative

B_RAD

Got my first open gun. I'm not a fan of the stippled plastic grip. Is there anyway to get the see gripiness and similar shape of the Evo but with a plastic grip?
I think that would be awesome but to my knowledge there isnt one out yet. Wish there was.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, B_RAD said:

Got my first open gun. I'm not a fan of the stippled plastic grip. Is there anyway to get the see gripiness and similar shape of the Evo but with a plastic grip?

Build it up with epoxy, hit it with a pneumatic sander to get it down to the profile you want, and then silicon carbide it.

Always wanted to mess around with an Open grip... I’ve got a custom shaped backstrap on my CO Walther; its basically a Large backstrap but it doesn’t come up into the beavertail area anymore. I sanded that part down, built up the hump halfway up the back, then filled that sucker with 5oz of Tungsten. ;) 

Edited by MemphisMechanic

Cheely E2 Aluminum grip is less than 2 ounces more than a plastic grip.
I'm gonna have to check into that cheeky e2 aluminum grip. Has anybody had problems with them cracking or anything?

I put the CK E2 Aluminum on mine sounds like it might fit the bill for you and they warranty to grip on a major gun I love my EVO on my limited gun but like you did not want that much weight on my open gun not the cheapest solution however I am very happy with the setup 

10 hours ago, B_RAD said:

The simple answer is NO.  You can get somewhat better than stippled (there are many forms of that, of course), but nothing is going to equal the aggressive texture of a good metal grip. 

You don't need to get restless, however.  Many, many people shoot guns with plastic grips, and do extremely well.  A metal grip will not turn a mediocre shooter into a master.  Learn to shoot the gun you have.  If you post some pictures of it, people might recommend some changes, which may or may not include the grip. 

5 minutes ago, Foxbat said:

The simple answer is NO.  You can get somewhat better than stippled (there are many forms of that, of course), but nothing is going to equal the aggressive texture of a good metal grip. 

You don't need to get restless, however.  Many, many people shoot guns with plastic grips, and do extremely well.  A metal grip will not turn a mediocre shooter into a master.  Learn to shoot the gun you have.  If you post some pictures of it, people might recommend some changes, which may or may not include the grip. 

Just not a fan of the tree bark stippiling. The Evo just had a better shape and feel. 

I'm still getting used to it but I doubt I'll ever like it as much as the Evo.

Hello: You can do a different type of stipple job on the plastic grip by using a 3/16" diameter soldering iron. It can be made so sharp it will hurt your hand. As for the shape you will have to build it up. If you like the Evo grip but don't like the weight, they make a titanium one. Thanks, Eric

Well, I do think that aggressive metal grip is the best option, I use them, but the grip may or may not be your main concern at this point. 

I have shot quite a few plastic grips and I can't say they are all that deficient.  OK, except one, which was relieved too much, so it became noticeably soft and jammed the mag on reload. 

Like I said - post pics, and people might suggest areas of improvement... besides just being curious - everyone loves pictures!  :)

And yes, Eric is correct, some plastic grips have incredibly sharp stippling - I once had the Milenium one, and that was bit into your hand like crazy. 

Edited by Foxbat

Hello: You can do a different type of stipple job on the plastic grip by using a 3/16" diameter soldering iron. It can be made so sharp it will hurt your hand. As for the shape you will have to build it up. If you like the Evo grip but don't like the weight, they make a titanium one. Thanks, Eric

Do they make the Evo in Ti, or just the classic grip? I thought only classic was available in Ti.

That being said, they do have aluminum Evos now.

I would echo the thoughts above though, of you spend the 750 bucks a grip would run you on ammo you will probably be better off than a new grip.

28 minutes ago, Gooldylocks said:

Do they make the Evo in Ti, or just the classic grip? I thought only classic was available in Ti.

That being said, they do have aluminum Evos now.

I would echo the thoughts above though, of you spend the 750 bucks a grip would run you on ammo you will probably be better off than a new grip.

Yeah. I'm with you guys in that. I won't be buying a $750 grip. I might buy a $150 grip and try to do a silcon crabide job on it. 

It's not a problem of being sharp or not sharp enoguh. The Evo grip is very agressive without having huge jagged divots like the tree bark stippiling. I'm not really a fan of stippiling anywas. I prefer SC.   

So, I'll probably be on the lookout for a used grip.  

On 10/9/2018 at 12:49 AM, moparnut88 said:

I'm gonna have to check into that cheeky e2 aluminum grip. Has anybody had problems with them cracking or anything?

I know of one open gun with 30k plus rounds on a Cheely E2 aluminum grip without issue. Matt warranties them anyway so there isn't much to worry about.

Hello: I just reread the thread and you stated you just got the open pistol. I would not change anything until you shoot at least 2000 rounds through it. Then you will get an idea what you would like and what will work for you. It is easy to spend money on things and not get any real results. Just trying to save you some coin. Thanks, Eric

8 minutes ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: I just reread the thread and you stated you just got the open pistol. I would not change anything until you shoot at least 2000 rounds through it. Then you will get an idea what you would like and what will work for you. It is easy to spend money on things and not get any real results. Just trying to save you some coin. Thanks, Eric

Thanks!

I've been dry firing and shooting it a little.  I m getting used to the grip. 

While it's not my favorite, I think it's gonna fine. If I get another gun and go the new route, I'll try to get one with a grip I like. 

Edited by B_RAD

On 10/9/2018 at 8:37 AM, Foxbat said:

Well, I do think that aggressive metal grip is the best option, I use them, but the grip may or may not be your main concern at this point. 

I have shot quite a few plastic grips and I can't say they are all that deficient.  OK, except one, which was relieved too much, so it became noticeably soft and jammed the mag on reload. 

Like I said - post pics, and people might suggest areas of improvement... besides just being curious - everyone loves pictures!  :)

And yes, Eric is correct, some plastic grips have incredibly sharp stippling - I once had the Milenium one, and that was bit into your hand like crazy. 

Here's a pic. 

I'm gonna leave it alone for the most part. I might put a flat faced trigger in it eventually and might switch to the DPP (which I already have and think I like more).  

(No comments about the cowboys!)

IMG_20181011_22209.jpg

Edited by B_RAD