Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking to upgrade a CZ to CO??

JDIllon

Interested in which gun would make to best Carry Optic's, plan on sending it to CGW or CZ Custom? Appreciate any thoughts! Would like to hear from those of you that have CZ"s and are using them for Carry Optic's. Along with any other thoughts from others.

Edited by JDIllon
Added copy

CZ is coming out with an Optics Ready S2, but all the intel on it so far is that it won’t make weight for USPSA CO.

‘The SP01 Shadow will make weight more easily for CO.. so that’s the easier way to go.

I know the S2 can be converted to CO but it has to be lightened and the slide cut to get to the weight. I want to know if there are any other CZ's that would make a good CO gun. And has anyone convert any other CZ and if so, how do they like them.  JD

Edited by JDIllon

On 10/1/2018 at 3:58 PM, stick said:

I like the AR platform.  I have both the ULW and Feather weight Barrels if you want to try one of mine.  My Feather weight is my USPSA PCC and my ULW is my Steel Challenge PCC.

Sorry!! don't understand how this got in here.

Edited by JDIllon

12 hours ago, eerw said:

I run an SP01 Shadow in CO. pretty easy set up as weight is not really  a concern.

This.  I have a CZC Shadow Black, with an SP01 milled slide.  Easily makes weight. 

13 hours ago, JDIllon said:

I know the S2 can be converted to CO but it has to be lightened and the slide cut to get to the weight. I want to know if there are any other CZ's that would make a good CO gun. And has anyone convert any other CZ and if so, how do they like them.  JD

There's multiple threads about this already but if you want to convert a Shadow 2 (47oz) to CO and be competitive, you will need a few things:

1. Slide milled for a dot - the lighter the dot the better (Sig Romeo 1, RMR, Shield etc). CGW and CZC both do this all the time.

2. G10 or carbon fiber grips (Lok, cool hand, etc.)

3. Polymer guide rod ( http://shop.cz-usa.com/ProductDetail/321841042004_Recoil-Spring-Guide-Shadow )

4. Henning or TTI +4 basepads so you can load 21-23 rounds per mag

If you do all this you will likely make weight.

Here's my S2 converted for CO:

d32vttI.jpg

w6F9WoU.jpg

Weighs in at 44.5oz with +4 basepads

1 hour ago, GregJ said:

This.  I have a CZC Shadow Black, with an SP01 milled slide.  Easily makes weight. 

SP01 Shadow is a great way to go, certainly more cost effective, top ends are available at reasonable prices and you could even do a dovetail mount to begin with and still make weight. That said I love my Shadow 2's that I milled for optic, weight, installed lightweight grips and a polymer guide rod. S2 just takes more work to get them legal for division.

14 hours ago, JDIllon said:

SP01

Please keep in mind the CO rules now and proposed for 2019.

App. D7, 21.2.b.  Milling of slide.  A slide may be modified specifically for the purpose of installing optical sights or cocking serrations. Textured finishes, grip tape, milling or stippling on the slide to provide texture is also allowed. Cuts designed to specifically or significantly lighten the slide, such as holes, are allowed.

Special conditions:  A handgun may be approved specifically for Carry Optics division provided that the model of the pistol used is an approved Production Division model AND meets Carry Optics criteria. Any pistol that is not on the approved Production list, but meets Carry Optics criteria must submit a Manufacturers Declaration Form to DNROI stating that a minimum of 500 complete handguns have been manufactured and are available to the general public

AND

UNLESS a modification is SPECIFICALLY authorized in the rules or SPECIFICALLY authorized in an official, published NROI interpretation, it is considered a PROHIBITED MODIFICATION.

Believe the only change in the 2019 proposed rules correcting a punctuation error.

Had my S2 done by CZ Custom They did fantastic work and quicker than the 8 weeks they said.  They put a plate in to accommodate the optics you want to run. And they sell other plates in case you want to change the optics.  They also sell, which I bought, a plate to put the iron sight back on.  AND it makes weight 44.6 oz.  Call Stuart Wong at CZC and he will let you know cost etc.

VERY happy with their work.

I use the SP-01 set up from CZ Custom. As I have written before, it is the best gun I have ever shot. I had ordered the base SP-01, and had decided to do the trigger work myself. After talking to Stuart Wong, he convinced me to go with the CZC trigger job, and short disconnector, which I did , but with a lot of reservation. How much better could it really be?

Well, Stuart is absolutely a man of his word, and that trigger job is just superb. Gun easily makes weight with Vortex Viper dot stock grips, plastic guide rod, TTI basepads, and Mecgar 18 round mags. The quality of work is second to none, and the guns outshoots me by miles.

CZC is the route to go.

8 hours ago, sdm702 said:

i went with cz custom on my s2, i liked the idea of having different optic options with their plate system. i have a friend that uses an sp01 shadow with a dovetail mount and is happy with his set up.

I do not believe you can use a dovetail mount in CO?  can anyone verify this