Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2019 Rockcastle Run N Gun 5k & 10k: March 16-17, Park City, KY

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's the official compilation video of the 2019 Rockcastle Run N Gun 5k & 10k. Share it with your friends and family to give them a 4 1/2 minute glimpse at the awesomeness you accomplished last weekend, to try to talk someone new into trying it next year, or to give our sponsors some well-deserved love.

Big thanks to Rockcastle Shooting Center, Nosler, Tactical Tailor, Magpul Industries Corp., Samson Manufacturing, Dillon Precision Products, Inc, Vortex Optics, and Hornady.

Photos by Lisa Stennett and Megan Dudley. Music by Steve Vai.

This will be my last post on this match and I'll let it die a good death:

One of my measurements to see if the match had an appropriate difficulty level is what I call the "DNF Rate" - in other words, how many people could not finish each stage in the required 3 minute par time. If everyone finishes every stage, the match is probably too easy. A 50% DNF rate for a single stage is not a deal-breaker, but a 70% DNF rate means the stage is too hard. And if we have MANY stages with a high DNF rate, that means the overall difficulty level is too high.

The graphs below look at this in two different ways. The top graph shows me how many people DNF'd each stage (for example, 38% of the 5k competitors could not complete The Rifleman stage). The bottom graph shows me how many people had multiple DNF's (for example, 22% of the 10k competitors finished the match with only one DNF).

I am happy to report NOT ONE SINGLE COMPETITOR DNF'd every single stage of their match. Sometimes that happens, and it's never fun.

So overall, I think this was about the right difficulty - or maybe a smidge on the "too easy" side. I was a little surprised that The Rifleman is still the most DNF'd stage we have - that tells me I need to leave it in there awhile yet. 🙂

oHw6SRZ.png

• 2 weeks later...

So..I literally just joined this forum for this information. Thanks for a great thread.I am planning to do the 2019 10K ,since I just missed the 5K.

I love to run...and to shoot,so this should be right up my alley.

17 hours ago, KyFF said:

So..I literally just joined this forum for this information. Thanks for a great thread.I am planning to do the 2019 10K ,since I just missed the 5K.

I love to run...and to shoot,so this should be right up my alley.

Outstanding - welcome!  Keep the weekend of September 7th open.  The Legion 9/11 Memorial Run N Gun will be held at Rockcastle Shooting Center as a benefit for the Special Forces Association, Chapter 38 (to benefit the troops of the 5th Special Forces Group out of Ft Campbell).  More info will be posted here in the next month or two.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/19/2019 at 10:06 AM, Hartzco said:

Any news on 2020 Run and gun?   I’m very interested and don’t want to miss registration.   

Sorry sir - with Rockcastle's auction everything is up in the air right now.  I hope to know more in the next month or two.

• 1 month later...
On 11/19/2019 at 10:06 AM, Hartzco said:

Any news on 2020 Run and gun?   I’m very interested and don’t want to miss registration.   

I'm sorry to report I have had to cancel the Rockcastle Run N Gun for March 2020.  Definitely check out the other RNGs around the Southeast, and I hope to see you at one of them!