Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Seeking 9mm data

mofosheee

I have a 1K box of; 9mm 124gr FP 

https://store.tjconevera.com/po9mm12fpplb.html

and am unable to find specific load data for this particular bullet.  I am holding off on loading for reasons of safety and uncertainty how much powder and COL.  

None of my loading publications / charts / tables provides me with 9mm 124gr FP  data.

Is there anyone out there who can direct me to a source of information?   My on hand powders are Accurate#2, #5, #7,  Titigroup, W231.   I want to send the lead down a 3" barrel.   Thank you

I had been shooting RMR’s FMJ truncated cone flat point and Berry’s flat point on my CZs without any problems at all using Winchester  231. My load is 4.1 Gr Winchester 231 at 1.102 OAL @ 128-130 PF. I use this load for USPSA production with my shadow 2.

I started at 3.6 Gr when I did my ladder test and chrono’ed every shot from my guns, ie 5” shadow 2/sig x5 and 5.4” TSO/czechmate.

You'll usually NOT find reloading data for a specific bullet, but for a weight and type bullet,

e.g. lead vs jacketed.    Probably start around 3.6 gr WW231 and work up using your chrono.

Have to do The Plunk Test to determine longest OAL that particular bullet will fit in Your

gun/mag, first, of course    :) 

Thank you.......................Ok.  I'll base my loads on weight and type as recommended. Definitely a plunk test.  I thought the shape i.e. FP was to be factored in.

No chrono and my intention was target / plinking.  My concern is that of safety and not sustaining injury or damage to parts

Edited by mofosheee

9 hours ago, mofosheee said:

Thank you.......................Ok.  I'll base my loads on weight and type as recommended. Definitely a plunk test.  I thought the shape i.e. FP was to be factored in.

No chrono and my intention was target / plinking.  My concern is that of safety and not sustaining injury or damage to parts

You're not going to hurt anything with any of those powders within the range you see in a reloading manual for any 124gr bullet.  Plated are generally a little faster than jacketed and about the same as cast.

13 hours ago, mofosheee said:

...on hand powders are Accurate#2, #5, #7,  Titigroup, W231.

Accurate Arms load data does in fact have data for a 124gr plated FP for AA2, AA5, & AA7 - - it's the Berry's 124gr HBFP.  That's what you want to use. 

For Titegroup and Win231, use the data for the Berry's 124gr HBRN, and while I'd personally use the data directly and monitor for the data's max velocity as a ceiling, if I didnt have a chrono or was just feeling extra cautious, I'd just knock .2gr off max load. 

11 hours ago, IDescribe said:

Accurate Arms load data does in fact have data for a 124gr plated FP for AA2, AA5, & AA7 - - it's the Berry's 124gr HBFP.  That's what you want to use. 

Yes, in searching I came across this very data and was inclined to use it, except for the fact that the base of the bullet is flat.  In my world of limited experience and wanting to be safe or push any envelopes, HBFP would indicate a hollow base.   and I know enough to be dangerous.   The bullets I have are flat base.     

I have sourced my data from ; http://blog.westernpowders.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/WesternLoadGuide1-2016_Web.pdf

and

this is my source of concern; https://loaddata.com/articles/PDF/9mm Luger.pdf

and 

I see a significant disparities in suggested grains and COL, then recognize that different powders can be vastly more reactive than another

and

I wrapped myself around an axle.  It's an education for me and I know enough to be dangerous. :)

Every response is sincerely appreciated.  Thank you

Edited by mofosheee

Mofo, it important to remember these reloading manuals merely provide a starting point, but load development is a personal thing as the balance of priorities are almost infinite.

The 9mm case is very tough and you have to try really hard to blow anything up (trust me, I've tried), the powders you listed are all appropriate, bullet weight is fine and using those components, any charge weight you read in any manual at any seating depth will safely get the bullet downrange.

I believe the difference with the flat point is that the bearing surface is greater.  Essentially, they cut the nose (and some shoulder) off and add it at the base.  Also they tend to have a sharp shoulder angle and may have to be seated deeper than a round nose in order to chamber away from the lands/throat.

So you'll have more friction in the bore and reduced case volume and greater bullet surface area retained in the brass, requiring a reduction in charge from round nose data.

The only time I got concerned about pressure signs was loading 124gn FP.  I only got a couple tenths from starting load and pulled the rest.  Brass was swelling with shiny stretch marks and flying ten feet behind me.  3" bbl also.

Edited by MetricPound