Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Kimber?

Cherokeewind

I'm interested in how the Kimbers compare with other 1911s for reliability, accuracy and durability.
My experience with 1911s is almost completely with Colt Series 70 Govt., Commander and Gold Cups with a few Series 80s in the mix. 
I know a guy that shoots one in USPSA it's 45acp. It's super accurate even at high speeds and runs without any hiccups. Fit and finish is superb from the couple times I've shot it

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Thanks for the input.

I do have a Kimber Compact that I bought used.  It hit several inches low when I got it, probably the reason someone sold it.  I could see that the bbl. pointed slightly downward when in battery.  Sent it to Kimber, the new bbl. hits exactly where it should and is very accurate and reliable, so far.

I'm interested in a Super Match but wanted a little more background before spending the $$. 

you don't hear people talk about them because not a lot of regular competitors shoot them in matches. They have a history of breaking MIM parts and generally being not worth the money. They are one of the most sold gun brand in America, but most shooters don't put through a gun in a year what many of us do in a match. I have owned a few, from the small ultra carries to the bigger full sized models. I no longer own any. Not because they gave me too much trouble, but I wanted out before they did. 

I honestly think they are a decent product and I would be buying them at $700 or so. but at $1300 and then you have to replace parts to get what you want, not worth it. They spend too much money on advertising (look at literally any gun mag, full page adds, every time) and don't put out anything at Springfield prices. 

My Kimbers have been good guns, the Pro Carry in 45 has been great as a carry gun from the start and the 9 MM target II needed an Aftec extractor to run well and a Dawson magwell for competition but after that it was/is a great running gun. Are there "better" guns? More competition specific? Of course but you generally pay more for them and they still might need some fine tuning. 

I've had two Kimbers now. Wasn't impressed with either of them. Action felt like rubbing two bricks together and the triggers were horrible. Maybe I'm spoiled by my own builds, but I just found them unacceptable for the money I paid for them. Just traded my Custom TLE II 10mm for a CZ75 TS .40. 

I have a Micro 9mm for carry and like it. It shoots well, accurate and reliable for close quarters. Would not want to shoot a match with it as its way too small. I had both Glock 42 and 43 but the Kimber is miles ahead it fit, finish and in trigger feel. Pulling the trigger on the Glocks was like dragging a stick through gravel at arms length, whereas the Kimber is far more crisp, not Open gun crisp but good enough. 

I have a Kimber, and have no problem with it, They do require a break in of at least 500 rounds. Before that, they are finicky, and have a rough feel trigger, and the slide is very tight and stiff. But once past that, my Kimber is super smooth, and a fairly crisp trigger.

There was also a problem several years ago, with MIM parts breaking. And that stigma has remained with Kimber to this date. The current guns are better than those 10 years ago.

My first Single Stack/Limited 10 pistol was the Gold Combat Kimber in Stainless. It was always stovepiping and I had a tremendous amount of failure to fire. I finally sent it off the Dennis Gentry at Gentry Custom, and it runs perfectly now.

I do not know about other Kimbers, but mine is very finicky about what its fed. I would do better throwing semi wadcutters at targets then trying them in a match. And I tried all kinds of brass, seating depth, you name it. They just don't work, and another Kimber shooter I know had the same issue. In addition, trying to shoot Berry's 230 gr is a waste of time, they just won't feed in my Kimber barrel.

I will say it is a very accurate gun now and runs 100% so it is my go to 1911 over my Springfield RO, but it took some tinkering. Oh, all new internals except the hammer also....................

I do not know about other Kimbers, but mine is very finicky about what its fed.

That said, I only use semi-wadcutters in my Kimber. and they run flawlessly. 

Like I said, Kimbers require a proper break in, and after that they are totally reliable.

I think it has more to do with the price of Kimber vs quality of the gun. At the lower price points you can get a Springfield that is probably better fit and at the mid to upper Kimber prices, you can get a Dan Wesson that is a much nicer gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

I have a relatively new Kimber KHX Optic Ready 9mm with a Vortex Venom on it.  I bought it only because of the optic ready slide and was prepared to have lots of issues.  Well, other than 3 FTFeed with one Wilson ETM mag the gun has been flawless.  That was 1,800 rounds ago.  I’m over 2,100 rounds since buying it this June.  I did adjust the sear spring to get the trigger pull down to 3 pounds 6 ounces and it feels great.  This gun feels almost as nice as my  Dan Wesson PM9 and shoots just as well.  This gun is making me a Kimber fan boy.  Kimber builds more 1911s than anyone except maybe Colt, so lots of them out there.   I think the bad mouthing they get is undeserved.  Mine is the most reliable out of the box centerfire 1911 I have.

Jeff

I run two Kimbers in IPSC classic competition, both minor and major PF. The Custom TLE 2 rail has been 100% from day one. 

The 9MM Target needed some better magazines (dawson) and some tuning of extractor. 

To be honest, I bought both used. If I were to do it again I would have something build from scratch. But untill i have that money, these puppies run like the wind. (the 9 has about 25K rounds through it) 

Thanks for all the comments.

All my previous 1911 experience has been with Colt, probably 20 different pistols, Govt. Models, Commanders and light weight Commanders as well as Gold Cups and the earlier National Match versions.

Most have been OK but a few needed "special attention".

After a Glock binge I have started shooting my old Kimber Compact again.  Made me really miss all the good things a 1911 can do..........

So, here I am with three Kimbers; the old Compact and a couple of new Kimbers, a Super Match and a Stainless Target II, and so far I'm very happy.

Jim