Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hat cam with built-in stabilization?

Dazhi

I tried the GoPro Hero Session and the video was shaking very bad when shots are fired.  There are software that can stabilize the video but I am curious if there are any small light hat cam with built-in stabilization?  Sony has an active camera with optical stabilization but too bulky, and GoPro has a few with digital stabilization but much bigger than the Session.  Any other lightweight alternatives?

I bolted the hero session through a hole I drilled on the bill of the cap, with M5 screw and bolt.  It feels super sturdy, but the video shakes like crazy when the shots are fired.  Maybe I am missing something?  I heard Hero 7 has built-in stabilization but it is much bigger and heavier, and I would not want to put that on the hat. 

gopro.jpg

Here are couple testing footage I got, and you can see clear violent shaking when shots are fired.   

It seems the shock wave of each shot fired travels up to the head and causes the cam to shake.  My original intention using the hat cam is to observe my grip, trigger and sight from FPV to troubleshoot those areas at matches.   Maybe there is no hat cam small enough like the Session 

1 minute ago, Nathanb said:

I find third person video way more beneficial than a hat mount have you looked into a tripod

Yes in fact I already have another GoPro on a tripod for 3rd person view.  What lacks on 3rd person view, especially from a GoPro on a tripod, is the ability to analyze individual shots, trigger, sight, grip etc.  It's great for observing movements and overall execution. 

mine is bolted to/thru the bill also, but i'm using the base that lets you adjust the angle of the camera, with the big thumb screw.  can't believe that would make a diff though.  i didn't (at least knowingly) adjust any of my settings, but maybe if you can increase your fps speed you'd see less blur?

i think the best video is from someone chasing you with your cell phone, close enough to see your mechanics (trigger, reloads, etc) but far enough to put it all in perspective (footwork, target engagement, etc).

11 hours ago, muncie21 said:

For FPV, why not use glasses camera?  I used several types for some time.  However I find 3P view provides for useful video for improvement of stages. 

I was looking at PivotHead and Aim Cam, but none of them mention "image stabilization" in their specs.  In theory these vibrations travel through shooter's body, and there is no reason why glasses receive less shockwave then hat.   Hard to imagine tiny cams have built-in hardware IS, but maybe they have digital IS like the GoPro Hero5+ do?  

For the GoPro cams check out the Smatree hats on Amazon, they allow you to attach the camera to the crown of the hat, and still mount it nice and low close to the brim. I found that removed all my issues with shaky video footage with my Session. 

Now if they would just fix the sound issues on the Sessions I'd be happy

• 4 months later...
On 10/9/2018 at 5:40 AM, RangerTrace said:

I just upgraded to the Hero 7 Black.  It appears to be the same size/weight as the previous models.  While I actually prefer 3rd person video, it's a PITA asking for other shooters to video you.

Kinda reviving an old thread here, but how did the Hero 7 work for you?

I'm considering getting one for the higher framerate recording (slow-motion review) and the built-in image stabilization. Figured one of those Smatree caps would work well for getting video that way.

And for everyone saying it's not worth it getting first person view... I'd argue that it's still pretty useful to see how fast/smooth transitions are, how quickly you're moving eyes to a new target on those transitions, presentation to targets on entry/exit, how and why you might have had mikes or pulled shots, recoil management, etc. that you just can't get from somebody following you in third person (assuming they don't record a s#!tty video). Though a $300-$400 GoPro might not be the solution for everyone, you can still get some good information from a first person view with another camera.

Edited by tacomandood

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I just ordered the Hero 7 Black yesterday as well as the Smatree hat. I've seen a lot of guys run the same/similar setup with no issues for video quality or shakiness. I'm hoping the built-in IS will help with anything that might be there though.

I can update here with some match video if anyone's interested or comes across this thread later on down the line.

That’s exactly what I use.

The battery life on the GoPro is very short. I have to turn it on and off between stages. I bought the remote to help with being able to see what’s going on with the commands of the GoPro because once the earmuffs are on, that’s it. I also find it a bit heavy on the head. The video quality, however, is very good. I’d recommend joining club gopro or whatever they call it because you can get good discounts on gear/accessories.

Edited by Silverscooby27

• 1 month later...
On 4/10/2019 at 8:48 PM, Silverscooby27 said:

That’s exactly what I use.

The battery life on the GoPro is very short. I have to turn it on and off between stages. I bought the remote to help with being able to see what’s going on with the commands of the GoPro because once the earmuffs are on, that’s it. I also find it a bit heavy on the head. The video quality, however, is very good. I’d recommend joining club gopro or whatever they call it because you can get good discounts on gear/accessories.

So this is kinda funny, I think recognize that stage. Was this the April match at Pittcairn Monroeville Sportsmans Club in PA?

I've been using a Mobius Action Cam.  It's cheap and tiny and weighs practically nothing.  I made a little bill clip for it out of some kydex and it sits on the underside of my hat bill.  I flipped the image in the software, and get decent videos out of it.  It almost allows you to see down the sights. 

I have the newer session hero 5 and don't use the image stabilization. Makes the image look wierd and not move smoothly. Work on getting a steadier mount for your camera. If you have it on a hat that is not nice and tight then it will vibrate with recoil. I used the headband style over a full cotton ballcap and it stays pretty steady. I have moved to the clip mount on my active hearing protection band. Trick is getting it angled right and not pointing at the ground when I shoot.