Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
Shootingbeaver

GP100 extractor extension

So I’ve been shooting the  GP100 in idpa all year and every match I will have a few 38 special cases that don’t eject.  Since the star doesn’t come out the length of a 38 Special case I have to pull them the rest of the way out.    Also I have already polished the chambers and don’t want to talk about techniques.  I am a lefty and am already revolver challenged.  

What I am curious about does anyone make an extended rod that will push out the length of a 38 special?   The smith 66 and 686 eject longer and they don’t have the issue I have.  

Any help would be appreciated.  

38 short colt i believe is the answer you are looking for.   I could have the name a little off, but you get the idea

I don't think there's any simple way to extend the extractor star movement. I was thirst thinking of hitting the rod harder and ensuring you are near vertical. If that is not feasible, even shorter cases should help: .38 Short Colt.

Use 38 short colt or trim your 38 special cases down to 38 long colt length and use the long colt load data.

Shortened cases are not legal in IDPA: it is specifically listed in the Rules. You are stuck with .38 SPL in your GP-100.

You might try a cleaner burning powder. Or, I also carry a spiral wound .38 caliber tornado brush, and a .40 caliber soft bristle brush. Every couple of stages I brush out the chambers.

Short Colt, or Long Colt (I prefer those) are great for Steel Challenge/ICORE/USPSA.... but not legal in IDPA.

4 minutes ago, GOF said:

Shortened cases are not legal in IDPA: it is specifically listed in the Rules. You are stuck with .38 SPL in your GP-100.

You might try a cleaner burning powder. Or, I also carry a spiral wound .38 caliber tornado brush, and a .40 caliber soft bristle brush. Every couple of stages I brush out the chambers.

Short Colt, or Long Colt (I prefer those) are great for Steel Challenge/ICORE/USPSA.... but not legal in IDPA.

Ha I do carry brushes and it for sure helps. It is a pain if your SOing or at ranges that don’t have a lot of safe tables. 

Being a lefty my reload is pretty fast if the cases come out.  However, I am pressing the rod with my right index finger so It doesn’t really get the smack needed to ensure they all fly out.  

23 minutes ago, GOF said:

I don't shoot IDPA ... is factory 38 Short Colt ammo legal?  I know Remington and Magtech both make 38 Short Colt loads.

11 minutes ago, Tampa-XD45 said:

I don't shoot IDPA ... is factory 38 Short Colt ammo legal?  I know Remington and Magtech both make 38 Short Colt loads.

No. The ammo must conform to the caliber marking on the barrel, with specific exceptions for .38 in .357, and .44 SPL in 44 Mag.

If one shoots a revolver marked .357 Mag (as is the GP-100) .38 SPL is as short as they can go in IDPA.

I wish I could use the same LC loads in my GP-100 in IDPA that I use in ICORE. It might get me from IDPA REV EX to MA. 

31 minutes ago, Shootingbeaver said:

Being a lefty my reload is pretty fast if the cases come out.  However, I am pressing the rod with my right index finger so It doesn’t really get the smack needed to ensure they all fly out.  

Is there a way to get more than that one finger into it? I struggle to figure out a lefty reload. My righty one has me slapping the GP100 extractor rod with my weak hand palm: the hard part in the knuckles area.

2 minutes ago, perttime said:

Is there a way to get more than that one finger into it? I struggle to figure out a lefty reload. My righty one has me slapping the GP100 extractor rod with my weak hand palm: the hard part in the knuckles area.

I don’t really think I can with the exception of punching it with my strong hand but then my reload is a little slower.  

To do the reload I hit the cylinder release with my left index finger knuckle. And grab the cylinder with the right thumb and middle finger.  Then push the plunger with my right index finger. If the cases would fall consistently it’s fast since my strong hand is pulling ammo from my belt when the cases are falling.  

20 minutes ago, Shootingbeaver said:

I don’t really think I can with the exception of punching it with my strong hand but then my reload is a little slower.  

To do the reload I hit the cylinder release with my left index finger knuckle. And grab the cylinder with the right thumb and middle finger.  Then push the plunger with my right index finger. If the cases would fall consistently it’s fast since my strong hand is pulling ammo from my belt when the cases are falling.  

I see what you mean. Tried it with my GP100. Can't keep the strong left hand on the revolver because it gets in the way of extraction. If I support the index finger with the middle finger, the revolver is hanging on the thumb only, and some corners of the frame hurt the knuckle of the thumb. The strong left hand slap would be more reliable ... if that is worth more than the increased time.

Does IDPA allow moonclips? During an informal steel match during the weekend, I briefly handled a GP100 that was machined for moonclips, and a good gunsmith had polished some trigger surfaces. It was nice.

IDPA allows moon clips in Revolver... with a 155 PF. That's a 158 bullet at 1050 fps....or 1080 to make a 5 PF (170) cushion.

I think working on the reload technique and staying with the 105 PF (or 110 to be safe) might be a better bet. Not being a lefty, I can't tell you how to do that.... other than smacking the ejector rod forcefully with the palm of the hand.... and cleaner powders and frequent chamber brushing. 

Edited by GOF

On 10/8/2018 at 10:29 AM, Shootingbeaver said:

Are you also tipping the muzzle up to let gravity do the work?  See this JM link with slo mo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FbUMqoyjDw

My GP-100 has the same sticky extraction issues and, as you noted, the extractor rod isn't quite long enough to clear even .38 special cases completely.  I'm also a lefty and I slap the extractor rod with the palm of my left hand during reloads. 

Fortunately I don't compete with this gun so reloading speed isn't a major issue for me.

2 minutes ago, SteelCityShooter said:

My GP-100 has the same sticky extraction issues and, as you noted, the extractor rod isn't quite long enough to clear even .38 special cases completely.  I'm also a lefty and I slap the extractor rod with the palm of my left hand during reloads. 

Fortunately I don't compete with this gun so reloading speed isn't a major issue for me.

Well SteelCityShooter you should start shooting competition. Your in the same area as me and lefties shoot revolver is pretty rare.  Mason Dixon Rifle Club morgantown WV is having their last idpa match November 3rd. You should stop out. 

On 10/8/2018 at 8:24 AM, GOF said:

They finally let gap brass be used in a 45 acp revolver, wish they would allow the 38 sc also or 44 russians in a m29.

"Shortened cases are not legal in IDPA...."

OK, you can't cut down .38 Special cases but are cases specifically factory made to a shorter length like .38 Short Colt  legal?   If short cases aren't legal why can you use .38 Specials in a gun chambered for .357 Mag?

https://www.idpa.com/wp-content/themes/idpa/assets/match-files/2017_Rule_Book.pdf

8.2.5 Revolver Division (REV)

8.2.6.1 The use of trimmed (shortened) ammunition is not allowed.

8.2.6.2 Ammunition used must match the cartridge listed on the firearm with the following exceptions:

A. .38 special in .357 magnum

B. .44 special in .44 magnum

C. .45 Auto Rim or .45 GAP in .45 ACP

D. .45 ACP or .45 GAP in .45 Colt

E. .40 S&W in 10mm

Edited by perttime