Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

reloading .40 without FCD

jester650

Furrly,  I am loading them for a G22 Gen3 and they do "Plunk" in that barrel to just about 0.0625" from the rim but slide nice and easy, now I have a .40 S&W  M&P they will go in but snug, too much so for comfort,  But I would mainly be using them in the Glock.

oddly it does ok in the G22 wont fit the Smith and the OAL is the same as the factory ammo I shoot ans the reload manual they will feed just not slide in the bore on the smith, and all but the last little bit fits the glock probably well enough on the glock you could use them.  

P.S. 90% of theses pcs of brass were fired from the sed G22 

19 minutes ago, jester650 said:

1.  it does ok in the G22 wont fit the Smith

2.  OAL is the same as the factory ammo

1.  Each gun is different - have to run TPT on each gun

2.  OAL will possibly be different for each brand bullet - get 4 different brand .40 180's and they might all need a different

OAL due to the shape of the individual bullet (not the weight, or even style - some JHP's are shaped differently than

other JHP's).

Every time you change bullets, you should run TPT.    :) 

I Can see that being true , wasnt doubting you BTW just giving what info I have,  something else is I am using TMJ  when i normally shoot RN  WIN ,  but  wouldnt OAL just interfere with the feeding ?    but the smith  you could physically push the round in but wont slide in  for sure,  the glock it goes right in and it does feed ,  I just figured If it went in one .40 barrel it would go in another  yesterdays feed back is bad then because I originally tried TPT on the S&W,  the  Glock works.  

Another thing that may help Im  gonna buy some berrys or recommended bullets I bought these at the local reload store just to get things back in order to reload  and  they are .401"  and I have no idea what brand they are ,  and after looking closely theres a tiny tiny belly in the middle of this round and at he end before the rim is the highspot  sooooo i think ill buy different bullets and try this again.  these will work in the G22 .   

Be careful with 401, not all guns and barrels take that diameter.. Buy a small sample first.. I learned the hard way.. ?.. 

Also could be your M&p barrel has Tighter tolerances then the glock.. 

no no thats what I got now  Inadverently, but I know the err of my ways already now on that but again your right on the two barrels different tolerances,  Whew  learning getting back into it.

competition rifle used to be relaxing after you got your headspace and such together.  I thank you guys roe the help.  I got to say I was shocked to sse how it slid in the Glock and not the Smith 

• 5 weeks later...
On 10/7/2018 at 2:35 PM, jester650 said:

I use Lee carbide seating  die  the three die set from years ago  but carbide  I have them in the progresswive 100  but going with The RCBS Rockchucker until i get comfortable again that progressive is finiky to me but i cant afford a dillion yet and want to reload for some competiton shooting and practice,  I have same  question for the 9mm that im not setup for die wise those will be far more important when i get them ready, 

thank you for the reply I appreciate it 

I have noticed all the Lee seating dies will crimp. Since your using a rockchucker, pull your seating stem out and see if it will work for you.

I did not read every post but if your loaded rounds are not fitting the gauge or barrel you can buy a 40/10 Lee FCD and run your loaded rounds through it.  The carbide sizer ring on the FCD may put your loaded round back in spec.  Looks like about a $25 experiment:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1011209519/lee-carbide-factory-crimp-die

• 1 year later...

I use a mighty armory size/deprime die

MR bullet feeder powder drop

redding comp seating die

dillon crimp die

never needed a Lee FCD , I also never get and rejects in the hundo.

2 hours ago, jcc7x7 said:

2 year old thread

1 hour ago, AHI said:

Hes got over 50 lets go see whats for sale.

What’s the issue here? I have nothing to sell, just scrolling through here and responding to posts..